Most Disliked Foods/Ingredients?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PrincessPeach
Diet: Vegan

Re: Most Disliked Foods/Ingredients?

Post by PrincessPeach »

dan1073 wrote:I absolutely hate corn. It serves no purpose on Earth to look and taste disgusting. But seriously I really do hate corn it has no nutritional value and it's in everything!
What makes you think that?
Corn does have nutritional value,
% Daily Value* 1 cup of corn
Total Fat 8 g 12%
Saturated fat 1.1 g 5%
Polyunsaturated fat 3.6 g
Monounsaturated fat 2.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 58 mg 2%
Potassium 476 mg 13%
Total Carbohydrate 123 g 41%
Protein 16 g 32%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 1% Iron 25%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 50%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 52%

Corn is not good to feed lets say lactating cows they are born to eat grass, dark leafy greens, that is why cow's milk is perceived to be so healthy but when we feed cows corn their breast milk is not as nutritious as it would be because it's lacking the calcium/magnesium/iron ect from the dark leafy greens that other wise the cow would be eating!

I love my blue corn chips I am munching on some now!

Also my sons diapers are made with corn and wheat renewable resources, that serves a very big purpose in my life and the planets!
Don't be a waste of molecules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Blue corn for the win :)
It's also much much more nutritious than typical white/yellow corn. Although when fried I'm not so sure.

Ever tried to make your own chips?
PrincessPeach wrote:You can adjust your pallet to acquire any taste, all you have to do is eat enough of it. In a matter of no time that once nasty watercress is now tasty and delicious & more nutritious than kale!
Absolutely, which is why disliking certain healthy foods seems so silly or even petty when it's so easy to like them.
PrincessPeach wrote: Mushrooms are a must have in a vegan diet!
Stop being so picky :!:
Well, maybe not a must have, but they are yummy!
dinnermeal
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by dinnermeal »

I think olives, green peppers, and most kinds of lettuce are repulsive. It's funny because those are three things that my mom loves to eat and can't get enough of.

I used to hate sweet potatoes but I'm starting to like them. The only true sweet potatoes I've ever eaten were cooked by my mom, too.
It's always October in Conneticut.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

dinnermeal wrote:I think olives
It's strange. I have a memory of not liking those either, but some restaurants actually put olives in my vegan kapsalons, and I still enjoy them like crazy. Seems like I don't dislike olives as much—or at all—as I think I did.
wfatheist

Post by wfatheist »

TheVeganAtheist wrote:Everyone seems to have foods or ingredients they either don't care for, or are entirely repulsed by.

If you are a vegan, what vegan foods/ingredients do you dislike the most?
If you are a meat eater, what food/ingredients do you dislike the most?

For me, I can't stand:
- ginger (when its in chunks I can bite into)
- water chestnut
- watercress
- black licorice
- roasted chestnuts
Fish or anything seafood related. It can stay in the ocean.
Really fatty meats.
Coconut oil (It's in everything I swear!)
artificial banana or strawberry flavorings.
Chocolate (sorry)
butter.
dinnermeal

Post by dinnermeal »

Volenta wrote:
dinnermeal wrote:I think olives
It's strange. I have a memory of not liking those either, but some restaurants actually put olives in my vegan kapsalons, and I still enjoy them like crazy. Seems like I don't dislike olives as much—or at all—as I think I did.
Kapsalons sound delicious. Type of food is fast food? I'd trade that for Wendy's any day.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

dinnermeal wrote:Kapsalons sound delicious. Type of food is fast food? I'd trade that for Wendy's any day.
Yes, it's fast food. In the Netherlands you will find places where they sell kapsalons a lot on train stations and places like that, it's mostly owned by some Turkish people. Sometimes they sell vegan ones (or vegetarian, and then ask to leave out cheese), which is either a great salad mix with lots of vegetables or they'll use falafel instead of meat, and sometimes vegan isn't really possible. :(

Never heard of Wendy's. Doesn't look very vegan (both burgers and salads).
dinnermeal

Post by dinnermeal »

Volenta wrote:
dinnermeal wrote:Kapsalons sound delicious. Type of food is fast food? I'd trade that for Wendy's any day.
Yes, it's fast food. In the Netherlands you will find places where they sell kapsalons a lot on train stations and places like that, it's mostly owned by some Turkish people. Sometimes they sell vegan ones (or vegetarian, and then ask to leave out cheese), which is either a great salad mix with lots of vegetables or they'll use falafel instead of meat, and sometimes vegan isn't really possible. :(

Never heard of Wendy's. Doesn't look very vegan (both burgers and salads).
Ah, interesting. Sorry that getting vegan kapsalons isn't so easy. Never heard of Wendy's? Yeah, fast-food in the U.S. is so not vegan.

I'm going to add almond milk and skim milk to my list of disliked ingredients. I get the sensation of a cardiologist's office when I taste skim. Like, it tastes like that smell...if that makes any sense to people...
PiggyOfDoom
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by PiggyOfDoom »

Peas and pickles. Peas have kind of a "filling" that disgusts me a lot. If they're not in a salad, I'm likely to try running away from that meal as far as possible. Most types of pickles to me are sour death.
There's no innocence, just levels of guilt. We all once stole a quarter; We all once scarred someone.
SaintRegisMohawk

Post by SaintRegisMohawk »

He just asked a simple question-any foods you don't like. Unless you need to show everyone how intelligent and morally superior you are, I don't think a long winded response/scolding was necessary. :roll:

I don't like to eat;
Almonds - Too hard
Bean Sprouts - Tastes like dirt
Soy Sauce - Sick of it
Thick cut cucumbers - I enjoy it in small doses

There are times that I don't like any of this food, but I eat it anyways, then I get over it. I know that I will be looked down on for this, but I became vegan for my own personal health benefits. I didn't even realize that there is an ethical side to veganism. I just thought it was no meat, dairy or eggs. I have slowly started to come around to an understanding of the social and moral benefits of the vegan lifestyle.

UPDATE: I'm surprised and proud that I no longer feel the same about my leather jacket. I wore it once and I decided I don't like this jacket enough to justify an animal dying for it, so after this season I'm not going to wear it again (just kidding, you got to lighten up). I will not wear leather again.

I love Ketchup