Discussion topics

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Take5
Diet: Vegan

Discussion topics

Post by Take5 »

I'm presently putting together a programme for next term for a philosophical discussion group known as 'Enquiring Minds', run under the auspices of the local U3A.

Last term we discussed 'Is it moral to eat meat?' and it was agreed to revisit the topic soonest.

Ideally I'd like to explore this more deeply, over 3 sessions - one on the effects of raising livestock on climate change, one involving the animal welfare issue and one on health (sort of we should look after our own health to take the pressure off the NHS) - perhaps in reverse order.

I'm looking for suitable titles for these topics, and I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Discussion topics

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I would try to identify the subject of consideration.

Like for climate change, it's other humans, or other societies.

For health, it's for our own society; reducing healthcare burden, extending lives of industrious people, and being there for our families as parents, grandparents, etc.

Then for the animals, of course, it's the animals; other species of sentient beings.
Take5

Post by Take5 »

Thanks, Brimstone.

I took all your ideas on board - and we shall discuss our own health + global warming + animal welfare over three sessions. But all three subjects will necessarily take on board the effects of the consumption of meat and meat products.

Apologies for the late response.
Take5

4 positive reactions out of 5!

Post by Take5 »

I'm also a member of a separate, but slightly over-lapping group that meets every 4th Friday. Whoever hosts decides the topic to be discussed.

Yersterday we met at mine - and I chose veganism, with an emphasis on health, but necessarily touching on animal welfare and global warming.

Over the last few weeks, I've been sending them links and references on the subject, including the film Conspiracy.

I began the session intending to show them the first 10 minutes of Michael Greger's 'How not to die' video. I tried to stop it when the subject of halting and reversing CAD was finished, but the group wanted to carry on watching it. We watched a further 10 minutes, on the subject of cancer, then we had a discussion on what we'd seen and heard. They were very receptive, much to my surprise. I was helped by one of the group who had been reading my copy of 'How not to die', and several times read pertinent passages from it. He made a particular point of telling the group that the science was sound - there were 135 pages of references at the end of the book.

After an hour or so, I gave them coffee, plus a selection of about a dozen vegan goodies which I'd prepared - Fry's polony, 2 types of hard cheese (including Vegusto - which I never buy, since it's too expensive for me, but I wanted to impress); cream cheese; homemade pizza and breadsticks; my Thai chilli non carne; nutritional yeast; seitan; Mrs Crimble's stem ginger cake; Booja Booja chocolate ice cream (something else I never buy!); and dark chocolate. My message was that you don't have to be deprived on a vegan diet.

Then we had a further half an hour of discussion - I was asked to relate my own story, so I told them how and why I became vegan, including the positive effects this had on my own health - and we wrapped it up.

Outcomes:
One of the group took us all by surprise by saying that he intended to give a vegan diet a go for a fortnight! He very much related to my story of how my sinuses had dried up after giving up dairy - he not only had a constant nasal drip, but he had asthma as well. So we'll see how well he does.
The friend who'd borrowed my copy of the book, and another friend were concerned that their main stumbling block would be how their wives would react. I said that if they bought some vegan goodies, the mere fact that they were in the house would make it easier to begin the process of transitioning. Something I'm working on myself.
Another member of the group emailed me to say, "Brilliant morning. Lots to consider now for a life change." After the discussion, he'd confided in me that he hadn't been looking forward to the morning, expecting simply a boring chat about veganism!

So, 4 out of 5 ain't bad! It's certainly the best reaction to my spreading the word that I've had in 14 years!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Wow, that's great. And well done on the excellent planning. Very smart to bring the goodies to follow the health arguments up with.

Thanks for the detailed recap, I hope it will inspire others!