Fishy Situation

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Fishy Situation

Post by EquALLity »

I was at my friend's house today, and I stayed a bit later than expected so we could work on something. While I was there, her mom made dinner. My friend is a bivalvegan, so her mom made something called kimchi (which I haven't heard about until today), which is some veggie thing that she made with oysters. She asked if I wanted any without oysters, but I said that it was ok and I'd just eat dinner at home.

She made it anyway, though, which I thought was really nice, but it tasted... Fishy (see what I did there). I mean, there's no way there wasn't oyster in that, whether unintentional or knowingly put in. Seafood has a very distinct flavor.
It was spicy, so I kind of used that as on out from eating it, which works because I'm white. ;)

I didn't accuse her of anything, because I didn't want to accuse her if it wasn't true and insult her. But... I mean, really? Maybe she thought it wasn't a big deal because I said I saw nothing wrong with eating oysters, but that I just don't personally do it. But obviously it should be enough just to say I don't eat oysters, and I didn't pressure her to make me anything.

Looking back, it was probably cross-contamination. She probably used the same pan to make mine that she used to make the kimchi with oyster, so it had oyster juice, or something. I mean, I have a hard time believing she'd intentionally give me oysters.

What do you guys think? And what do you do in situations like that, where you're not sure if food someone made you isn't vegan and that the person possibly made it that way knowingly?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Fishy Situation

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'm sure she made it for you without oysters, but kimchi itself normally contains fish sauce.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi
The most common seasonings include brine, scallions, spices, ginger, chopped radish, garlic, saeujeot (새우젓, shrimp sauce), eoriguljeot (어리굴젓, oyster sauce), and aekjeot (액젓, fish sauce).
Vegan kimchi is uncommon.

You can make kimchi without fish sauce, but it takes days to ferment, and very few people actually make their own kimchi. They buy it from an international store which imports it or (sometimes) makes it there. She probably just didn't realize that the kimchi itself contained fish, or didn't think it was important because it was just sauce or a small amount of anchovy paste and not whole pieces.

You can usually trust people's intentions, but not their competence and knowledge.
Getting out of it due to the spice was a good call.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

I'm actually going to Korean Barbeque this week. I didn't know kimchi wasn't usually vegan, I assumed it was just cabbage.

Thanks!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:I'm actually going to Korean Barbeque this week. I didn't know kimchi wasn't usually vegan, I assumed it was just cabbage.

Thanks!
You'd probably know pretty quickly, since it tastes like fish, otherwise it's sort of spicy sauerkraut.
I don't know if you'd be able to tell from smelling it. It's a safe bet that it's fish, though. I wouldn't take the risk of putting it in my mouth.
Been there/done that with other things and it wasn't fun.

Beyond meat has a meal that has vegan kimchi in it, though. It may not be as uncommon as I assume.