Vegan organic farming as an alternative to factory farming?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Kanade
Diet: Vegan

Vegan organic farming as an alternative to factory farming?

Post by Kanade »

Many farmers are concerned with animal rights activists mainly because they feel like their job is threatened because of it and that abolishing meat would kill the industry.

Are there any economic studies on how switching to vegan organic farming would benefit the farm industry much more and only help these farmers?
“I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Twizelby

Re: Vegan organic farming as an alternative to factory farmi

Post by Twizelby »

I don't know. I assume that farming would actually decrease for everything but cash crops.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'm not sure what organic has to do with veganism, aside from that they use manure and rendered animal parts in organic farming.

Why can't we just use conventional farming practices without manure that are safe, well established, and have good yield?

I don't think farming would be reduced, but excess corn etc. would be diverted to feed stock for biofuels and bioplastics and the like.
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

brimstoneSalad wrote: I don't think farming would be reduced, but excess corn etc. would be diverted to feed stock for biofuels and bioplastics and the like.
hmm good point, I hadn't thought of that.
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

if there are studies out there i would very much like to see them, i know such studies would have been useful in debates i have participated in, in the past.

i don't see the, it will kill an industry argument as a good one. we killed the slave industry, i see this in the same light.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.