Do bees make a surplus of honey?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
RanOverByATrain
Diet: Vegan

Do bees make a surplus of honey?

Post by RanOverByATrain »

I heard that bees make a surplus of honey because of other animals taking their honey, so if you take their honey they will still have lots more.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Do bees make a surplus of honey?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Bees make a small surplus of honey, which they use to grow their hives.

Bee keepers take much more than this surplus (they take most or pretty much all of it as I understand), and replace it with sugar.

That said, since it involves insects which are less sentient than other animals (like cows, chickens, and pigs) I see it as a relatively minor issue in comparison. Not really something to have a civil war over. :)
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Do bees make a surplus of honey?

Post by PsYcHo »

I must say I'm a big fan of honey, especially the kinds sold by small scale harvesters. A lot of the "honey" sold in stores is actually mixed with fructose or other fillers, even if they claim not to be.

It is kinda wrong of us to take the fruits of their labors, but at least they are free to roam around freely. (Plus I have been stung by bees on four separate occasions without provocation, so I don't feel too bad about it. ;))
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.