Vegan Hot Chocolate

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Vegan Hot Chocolate

Post by miniboes »

I love hot chocolate when it's cold. Vegan chocolate milks (oat/coconut/soy) are available here, but they're quite high in sugar (~7g/100ml). I think I can make a reasonably healthy alternative my replacing the sugar with artificial sweeteners.

Thus, I've been experimenting with making my own. My recipe has been very simple:
- Unsweetened soy/almond milk
- a bunch of cocoa powder
- stevia
--> throw in blender.

It tastes okay. Better than unsweetened soy milk, but still way worse than the sugar-packed alternatives. Also, you can't really store it since the cacao will seperate from the soy milk and you have to blend it again.

Any suggestions to make it more tasty and store it better?

For reference, my favorite soy chocolate milk is this one, from alpro: https://www.alpro.com/uk/products/drinks/soya-flavoured/choco
The ingredient list:
Water, Sugar, Hulled soya beans (5.8%), Fat-reduced cocoa (1.5%), Calcium (Calcium carbonate), Stabilisers (Carrageenan, Guar gum, Xanthan gum), Flavouring, Sea salt, Acidity regulator (Dipotassium phosphate), Vitamins (Riboflavin (B2), B12, D2), Natural flavouring

Compared to the non-chocolate unsweetened soy-milk:
Water, Hulled soya beans (6.5%), Acidity regulators (Monopotassium phosphate, Dipotassium phosphate), Calcium (Calcium carbonate), Maltodextrin, Stabiliser (Gellan gum), Vitamins (Riboflavin, B12, D2)

(underlined is difference)
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Vegan Hot Chocolate

Post by brimstoneSalad »

1. Mix and match your sweeteners. Use stevia and sucralose in combination, for example. Monk fruit sweetener if you can get your hands on it. Even mix in a pinch of low calorie sweetener like Erythritol.
2. Keep it in a jar or thermos or bottle you can put a lid on and shake (then you don't have to blend again)
3. Add a little vanilla extract, or even chocolate extract; you'll get a much richer flavor.
4. Add a little salt (it's there for a reason)
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:1. Mix and match your sweeteners. Use stevia and sucralose in combination, for example. Monk fruit sweetener if you can get your hands on it. Even mix in a pinch of low calorie sweetener like Erythritol.
2. Keep it in a jar or thermos or bottle you can put a lid on and shake (then you don't have to blend again)
3. Add a little vanilla extract, or even chocolate extract; you'll get a much richer flavor.
4. Add a little salt (it's there for a reason)
Thanks for your suggestions! I don't have non-stevia sweeteners right now, but I tried the other suggestions and the result is a lot better. It looks very pretty because for some reason it foams up a lot when microwaved. I'm going to try to get my hands on some chocolate extract.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Isn't cold hot chocolate just chocolate milk?
I don't really know how to make chocolate milk myself, but for anyone who wants vegan HOT chocolate, you can use the stove to heat up chocolate milk (non-dairy obviously, like soy).

^Why would you add salt? o_O
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

EquALLity wrote:Isn't cold hot chocolate just chocolate milk?
I don't really know how to make chocolate milk myself, but for anyone who wants vegan HOT chocolate, you can use the stove to heat up chocolate milk (non-dairy obviously, like soy).
Yes, it is. However, as I point out, store chocolate milks are too high in sugar for my liking.
- David Frum
Sapphire Lightning

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

miniboes wrote:I love hot chocolate when it's cold.

I think this is where the confusion lies. I'm guessing you mean "when it is cold OUTSIDE"?

And yeah, I like to heat up some chocolate soy milk as my hot chocolate as well. I should look in to a lower sugar way of doing it too... I have yet to try stevia, is it really any good?
Carnist: Kills animals and then takes from their bodies
Vegetarian: Takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable
Vegan: Avoids unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Sapphire Lightning wrote:

I think this is where the confusion lies. I'm guessing you mean "when it is cold OUTSIDE"?

And yeah, I like to heat up some chocolate soy milk as my hot chocolate as well. I should look in to a lower sugar way of doing it too... I have yet to try stevia, is it really any good?
:lol: Oh, yeah, that's probably what he meant. I thought he actually meant that he likes to drink cold hot chocolate. :P
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

EquALLity wrote:
Sapphire Lightning wrote:

And yeah, I like to heat up some chocolate soy milk as my hot chocolate as well. I should look in to a lower sugar way of doing it too...
:lol: Oh, yeah, that's probably what he meant. I thought he actually meant that he likes to drink cold hot chocolate. :P
Oh hahaha. Yeah that could've been phrased better.
SaphireLightning wrote: I have yet to try stevia, is it really any good?
I like it, but you gotta get used to it a bit.
- David Frum