is it dangerous to eat too much vegetal proteins?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
eloine
Diet: Vegan

Re: is it dangerous to eat too much vegetal proteins?

Post by eloine »

well actually I start to think maybe only very healthy people can thrive on a vegan diet because it seems it doesn't work for me, I have spondylitis ankylosis since 2009 , (so maybe because of my auto immune deficiency it is harder for me to diggest nutriments? I don't know) I seem to eat enough and even more than what I need to eat of protein coming from beans (but I hardly diggest them) and soy (but after a while it develops me some light allergies so I try not to eat too many soy and only the one without OGM) I check my protein and vitamins intake on cronometer.com...But I have now hypoalbuminea + my periods stopped this month which scares me a bit + my skin is very dry...SO i don't know what I am doing wrong, I gonna try to add more lupin and lecithin to my diet as those foods are high in lysine and choline, and this are the 2 nutriments I think is hard to get enough on vegan diet.
eloine

Post by eloine »

I eat about 55-70 gr of proteins a day and it's really hard to eat more!!! i already feel i eat too much because legumes are so hard to diggest and soy gives me allergies after a while
eloine

Post by eloine »

maybe I ate too many nuts?? i was addicted to cashew and almonds and for the almonds I didn't always soaked them, so maybe It gave me too much anti nutriments???
eloine

Post by eloine »

yes that is possible that I eat too much fiber ! since i became vegan I completly changed my diet because I tried to eat more healthy so i eat a lot of foods high in fiber..it's so hard to get a balanced diet!! and I can't afford a nutritionist right now (my ex doctor was a registered nutritionist by the way)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Yes, it sounds like you are eating too much fiber. But you probably need more protein than that.

You can buy pea protein and even rice protein or hemp protein, to mix it up so you don't get too much soy. However, I don't think it's causing an allergy, since that's not really how allergies work. Your body has mostly already decided a long time ago if it's allergic to soy. Eating more of it won't usually trigger any sort of reaction. I can't diagnose you over the internet, though.
If you're concerned, you can have an allergy test. Or substitute a mix of other protein powders too.

Cashews and almonds aren't the best nuts. You may need more Omega 3, which those lack. You can get more omega 3 from walnuts, flax, chia, and a few other sources. That's probably particularly important for you.
Canola oil is also a good source (low acid rapeseed oil).

Have you tried anti-gas enzyme pills? Those will help more than the seaweed.

This is probably not a very credible source, but it could be worth looking into the suggestions:
http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/ankylosing-spondylitis-diet#1

Anecdotally, you may be helped by avoiding grains (like wheat, rice, etc.) for a while, or maybe reducing starches as a whole.
Something more similar to eco-atkins, the vegan low-carb diet.
If you try that out, you may need to get some Brazil nuts for selenium, and eat one a day.
A diet of vegetables and beans is about the healthiest possible, but you may need to limit beans too and use the protein powders and veggies mostly to see if starches are triggering your problems.

You could also try probiotics, and take them with every meal. It may help, but the evidence is limited and mostly anecdotal.

Let me know if you want to try that out, and I can give you more details.
eloine

Post by eloine »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16119037
And this is my last word :D
as you can see, there are people that has been tested on allergy about OGM soy and some people that are not allergic to natural soy are allergic to OGM, this test was made in a university in Korea so not financed by any "charlatan" and it's just one example, but I coud find thousand of other, but you just wanna believe what you want to believe anyway.
But OGM is VERY UNSAFE yes I am 200% sure of it
Last edited by eloine on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eloine

Post by eloine »

yes thanks I gonna try hemps and walnuts and protein powder, I ate lot of oat and already ate several times a week grounded flax and chia but not really wheat ( because my doctor already told me that wheat is not recommended for people with spondylitis ankylosis ) and I often eat rice but mostly brown rice.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote:yes thanks I gonna try hemps and walnuts and protein powder,
That's great, I hope the Omega 3 will help you.
eloine wrote:So I kind of figured out that I can handle soy only from fermented tofu and fermented miso and from some soy milk brands..but it seems the allergy develops especially when I drink soy milk where it is not precised on the package if it contains OGM or not .
Where did you find fermented tofu? Tofu isn't usually fermented, but coagulated. Compared to soy milk, however, tofu is much more pure soy.

Soy milk contains other additives to make it thicker, while tofu usually only contains one or two of three possible additives to coagulate it which are usually based on minerals (like calcium or magnesium).
You can check the soy milk ingredients for other possible problems.

I'm pretty sure the OGM/GMO soy is not a problem. While it is possible for somebody to have an allergy to a transgenic plant but not the "original", this would only be likely if a new protein were introduced which was highly allergenic (like adding peanut proteins to soy).

The ultimate cause is probably one of the additives in the soy milk brands which cause the issue. Perhaps the additive that causes you issues is only in the GMO soy milk, and the non-GMO brand has chosen to use a different additive.
eloine wrote:I ate lot of oat and already ate several times a week grounded flax and chia but not really wheat ( because my doctor already told me that wheat is not recommended for people with spondylitis ankylosis ) and I often eat rice but mostly brown rice.
Yes, I haven't found a lot of information on it, but there are some reports that wheat can be a problem.

Can you buy Brazil nuts there? If you eat one each day, it can give you enough selenium. Selenium is the main mineral people get from wheat.
I suggest not eating more than one or two each day, because too much Selenium would be bad.

Otherwise, I just suggest you reduce the starches a little -- maybe half the oats and rice which you currently eat -- and see if that helps you.
eloine

Post by eloine »

I mean "tempeh" , but I am pretty sure fermented Tofu exists and I already bought some, it is a chinese cheese, you find that in chinese markets. You also find that in organic markets under the name "lacto-fermented Tofu"
http://www.lesojami.com/produit-tofu-baies-roses
it is very tasty, It tastes like cheese , but even better than cheese, and they make several kind with different flavors
Last edited by eloine on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
eloine

Post by eloine »

yes I knew about the selenium and brazil nuts, but didn't know wheat was a main source for that, but doesn't oat contain selenium as well?