is it dangerous to eat too much vegetal proteins?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
eloine
Diet: Vegan

Re: is it dangerous to eat too much vegetal proteins?

Post by eloine »

well I read lot of people have allergies to soy with OGM , that's why I founded out that bad quality soy not certified OGM free seems to be the thing making me sick
eloine

Post by eloine »

http://www.globalresearch.ca/geneticall ... ounts/7277

and by the way I already eat lot of omega 3 so I don't think I have an omega 3 deficiency and i am pretty sure i am allergic to genetically modified soy since the milk I bought only contained soy and water + some preservative I am used to and I also developed the allergy after eating soy vermicelli that were 100% made of soy

"The GM protein that makes Roundup Ready Soy resistant to the herbicide does not have a history of safe use in humans and may be an allergen'

it is clear that OGM soy is unsafe, isn't it?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote:yes I knew about the selenium and brazil nuts, but didn't know wheat was a main source for that, but doesn't oat contain selenium as well?
Oats have some too, but only about 1/3rd that of wheat. So, you would need to eat almost three times as much oats. That's not a big problem, but if you reduce grain in general (including oats) to limit your starches, you may need extra Selenium, particularly as you aren't eating wheat.
eloine wrote:I mean "tempeh" , but I am pretty sure fermented Tofu exists and I already bought some, it is a chinese cheese, you find that in chinese markets
Yes, there is fermented tofu which is made in China and other Asian countries. I've had it before, it's very potent. It's uncommon to eat in Asia as well (although you could find it at most grocery stores, it's not a major staple like tofu is), most tofu is naturally not fermented, but eaten relatively fresh (usually fried or boiled).

There are two types of fermented tofu, brine fermented, and "stinky" tofu which has been fermented in open air. The former should be safe. I would recommend avoiding the latter.
Just make sure it's really salty and in liquid, then it's safe to eat. :)
But you can't eat much of it, because it's really salty, so that's more of a flavoring than a protein source (it has protein in it, like soy sauce, it's just practically impossible to eat much of it).

Miso has the same problem. It's good as a flavoring, but not very useful as a protein source because it's so salty that it's hard to eat much of it.

Tempeh is special, because it's fermented, it's safe AND not too salty to eat.
Nattō (traditional in Japan) is also special in this way, as a non-salty fermented soy.
Finally, there's soy yogurt.

Those are the only three non-salty fermented soy products I could recommend.
Salty fermented soy is good as a flavor, it just won't give you much protein.
eloine

Post by eloine »

in france we have some fermented tofu that is not salty, it is some sort of cheese/ yoghurt with different flavors and in different forms, firm or liquid like yogurt
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The claims made in that article are false. They're written by an Anti-GMO charlatan trying to sell more copies of his book.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_M._Smith
In contrast, Michael Specter, writing in The New Yorker, reported that Smith was presented as a "scientist" on The Dr. Oz Show despite his lack of any scientific experience or relevant qualifications.[4] Bruce Chassy, a molecular biologist and food scientist, wrote to the show arguing that Smith's "only professional experience prior to taking up his crusade against biotechnology is as a ballroom-dance teacher, yogic flying instructor, and political candidate for the Maharishi cult’s natural-law party."[4] Jon Entine, a author and science journalist, accused Smith of being "an activist with no scientific or medical background" and said that Smith's views amount to "near-hysterical criticism".[23]
Please read these actual scientific perspectives to understand the issue better:

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2015/allergies-and-gmos/
https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2014/04/16/are-gmos-causing-an-increase-in-allergies/

It is in theory possible for somebody to have an allergy to a transgenic food and not to the "normal" version, but it's far more likely to have an allergy to a different variety of conventionally bred food than to a GM food.
Genetically modified foods are carefully tested for allergens. To date there has never been a documented case of an allergy to GM soy.

The soy itself is completely safe.
It's more likely that it was something else you ate, OR the manufacturing facility it using something you're sensitive too. It could even be something like a metal leeching into the product during manufacturing, if they don't have a very good facility.
eloine wrote:well I read lot of people have allergies to soy with OGM
It's incorrect. So far there are zero documented cases of allergies to GM soy in people who are not allergic to soy in general.

There were some possible cases of allergies to a certain kind of GM corn with Cry9C protein, but that was to a variety which was not approved for human consumption, and which has been banned. It was never proved, but it was banned anyway just in case.
Food is no longer allowed to be genetically engineered with possible allergens like Cry9C.
It's unfortunate, because these are great natural pest controls which reduce the need for pesticides.

If you are allergic, you would be the first person in history. It's far more likely that you are not allergic to it.
eloine wrote:, that's why I founded out that bad quality soy not certified OGM free seems to be the thing making me sick
The "GMO" part has nothing to do with it. However, if it's bad quality soy, it could have some contamination or mold on it, and that could make you sick if you are allergic to the contaminant. That only has to do with the storage and freshness, not if it's GMO or not.

No agricultural products are 100% pure.
This is unlikely to be the issue, but it's possible.

It's more likely that something else made you react.
eloine wrote:i am pretty sure i am allergic to genetically modified soy since the milk I bought only contained soy and water + some preservative I am used to and I also developed the allergy after eating soy vermicelli that were 100% made of soy
Is that the only thing you ate? You may have eaten something else at the same time which caused it.
The only other possibility is that the product was not so high quality.

Can you list the ingredients?
Also, if it contains a preservative, it may have a larger amount. Just because you are used to the preservative in a small amount doesn't mean you can tolerate the larger amount. This is particularly true if it's a sulfur based preservative.
The cause is probably the preservative.

eloine wrote:"The GM protein that makes Roundup Ready Soy resistant to the herbicide does not have a history of safe use in humans and may be an allergen'

it is clear that OGM soy is unsafe, isn't it?
No, that's just not true. The protein has been thoroughly tested, including with human serum and in populations. There has never been a documented case of an allergy to GM soy.

There have been many documented cases of reactions to certain additives and preservatives, though. Even if you can tolerate it in a small amount, the product you bought may have too much.
The reaction may have also come from something you ate at the same time.

GMO foods are safer than conventional foods and organic foods, because they are better tested.

The other benefit of GM soy is that it uses less pesticide, so it would usually be healthier than non-GM soy.
Because the soy is resistant to roundup, they can use a larger dose at once to kill all of the weeds, and then use less pesticide overall.
With normal soy, they have to provide smaller doses more often to control weeds, and the result is that more pesticide is used (much more of the dangerous components like the surfactants).
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote:in france we have some fermented tofu that is not salty, it is some sort of cheese/ yoghurt with different flavors and in different forms, firm or liquid like yogurt
Soy yogurt should be safe, yes. It may even have active cultures in it, which could help with your stomach issues (although the evidence is not very clear).
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

You have alpro brand soy milk in France, right? How do you react to that?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
eloine

Post by eloine »

I don't understand what's wrong about warning people about the danger of OGM food?? Monsento and Bayer are responsible of a lot of environnement disasters with their sterile seeds and dangerous pesticides and petro-chemicals... whatever they create always have a serious bad effect on our health or the environnement + they increase poverty as they made loose lot of money to third world countries to force them to use their seeds that need more pesticides (did you heard about the OGM coton plants that ruined Burkina faso because the coton is shorter and then bad quality ? it's the proof they don't seriously test their plants before selling them to farmers ;-)) everything Monsento creates is always BAD, they want to destroy the world to make maximum profit and I think they should be banned!!
And yes I am allergic to Soy with OGM it's the truth, like a lot of other people are, there are actually a lot of people allergic to OGM soy and I am one of them without any doubt...of course I haven't passed a clinical test to proove it but my allergy declares itself EVERYTIME I eat OGM Soy and it confirms lot of serious studies I read about. You are the one to believe charlatans ;-)
eloine

Post by eloine »

and you should stop to believe in OGM and food full of pesticides because these industry is just as bad as the meat industry, In my opinion, people should instead buy local, it's not at all more expensive, on the opposite it is very cheaper! there is lot of things like this starting in paris at the moment, it is called "corporations" we all work together in the supermarket to be able to buy cheaper products that are locally grown without OGM and pesticides with respect to the farmer and the environnement.

There are also some independant organic markets where people can subscribe to get cheaper produces locally grown as well.
I heard they do that in USA too!
eloine

Post by eloine »

miniboes wrote:You have alpro brand soy milk in France, right? How do you react to that?
I never tested that one so I don't know, I never saw it before