Anyone love mushrooms?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Shadow Fox

Anyone love mushrooms?

Post by Shadow Fox »

I cannot possibly fathom why anyone who is not allergic to them could hate them so in such plentiful quantities!

It boggles my mind the more and more I heard people cringe when I tell them anything about Mushrooms going on (incoming meat product) Pizza....ok I guess its possible to have vegan pizza so it shouldn't anger you all that much lol.

Anywho

Do you like them?
What do you guys like to do with Mushrooms?
What is your favorite recipes for using them as the main part of the dish?

Me...I just eat them raw most of the time. Unless its goes in pasta or something. I made a vegetarian Pasta for a friend recently when his tooth got pulled. Dentist said he can have anything he does not need to suck on a straw or chew a whole lot. So, it was game night and I decided to combine that with my dinner. Got some tomato and basil sauce from newsman's owned or whatever its called. Some sort of really nice organic food company I heard about, a ton of mushrooms and made vegetarian spaghetti.

*Edit* on second thought...screw Ramen tonight. I am just gonna get off my lazy ars and go buy some of that same tomato basil sauce I found and I am gonna go make this same sketti again. I really feel like eating a bit pile of tomato sauce with mushrooms and noodles.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
bobo0100
Diet: Vegan

Re: Anyone love mushrooms?

Post by bobo0100 »

My non vegan friends tell me mushrooms are too much like oysters, in that there slimey. I tell them they don't know how to cook them. In the vegan community mushrooms oftern stand as the great substitute for beef, and it works well. Dice em and fry em and you have yourself some vegan beef mince, however I prefer removing the stems frying them with some salt and pepper slapping them between to pices of bread, covering them in green leathy plants, and splurging out on some (not so helthy) vegan sweet chily sauce. It taste great.

I do believe they just so happen to be a great souse of iron, correct me if I'm wrong.

As for your questions about pizza. Everyone seems to love pizza and vegans are no exception. Pizza bases are easy enougth to come by, if not make em yourself. The only real truble is cheese. Vegan cream cheese will do the trick, when heated it does actually taste like melted cheese. And then all you need do is not use non vegan ingredients as your topping.

:D
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

I love eating mushrooms but I would not recommend eat them raw by any means, you may not feel sick or get sick from eating raw mushrooms but there are things to be concerned about.
I'll try to explain in a way that you can understand...
Mushrooms are not plants they are fungi which is a completely different species that we really don't know much about... Contrary to the raw foods hype, mushrooms need to be cooked to destroy toxins and release nutrients...

Mushrooms are my 'meat' ;-) we share over 50% of our dna with them..

Read up about Paul Stamets if you want to learn more.... You may fall in love!
Don't be a waste of molecules
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

I don't know if I could live without mushrooms. I usually buy the Portobello caps from my local Asian market and fry them I usually put it in my tofu sandwiches.
She's beautiful...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote: Mushrooms are not plants they are fungi which is a completely different species that we really don't know much about... Contrary to the raw foods hype, mushrooms need to be cooked to destroy toxins and release nutrients...
Completely different Kingdom, actually. The Fungus Kingdom. :) Mushrooms are probably the king.

You're right, that they have some toxins in them, called mycotoxins. Cooking mostly deactivates them.

Asian mushrooms are usually better (lower toxin levels) than the white button/brown crimini/Portobello mushrooms (which are all actually the same kind: Agaricus bisporus, it's funny that people think these are different types of mushrooms), but it's a good idea to cook all mushrooms, and after you cook them there's not a big difference.

Have you tried straw mushrooms (Volvariella volvacea)?
Oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus)?

Have you ever grown mushrooms at home?
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Mushrooms are delicious.
I usually go on a long walk to pick up mushrooms in the woods (you need to be really careful they're not poisonous) in the right season. It's easy to fill a basket.
Spaghetti with sauce and mushrooms and pizza with mushrooms, or even just mushrooms alone, are my favourite (vegan) dishes with them. Here in Italy you find this type of recipes in almost every restaurant you go to (in the right season, of course).
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Completely different Kingdom, actually. The Fungus Kingdom. :) Mushrooms are probably the king.

You're right, that they have some toxins in them, called mycotoxins. Cooking mostly deactivates them.

Asian mushrooms are usually better (lower toxin levels) than the white button/brown crimini/Portobello mushrooms (which are all actually the same kind: Agaricus bisporus, it's funny that people think these are different types of mushrooms), but it's a good idea to cook all mushrooms, and after you cook them there's not a big difference.

Have you tried straw mushrooms (Volvariella volvacea)?
Oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus)?

Have you ever grown mushrooms at home?
~Edit~
Yes I have cultivated my own Oyster mushrooms at home before :-) I am still trying to find a good site to buy spore sprints/syringes on, I have been searching for organic but I am coming up pretty empty... Any thoughts are you a home cultivator as well?
I have never tried these straw mushrooms you speak of (unless they come in the chefs sampler pack at whole foods)

My favorite mushrooms are shiitake, oyster and morel! I like enokii too those little long white ones!
Last edited by PrincessPeach on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

I haven't ate many different types of mushrooms, but I love to try more of them. I do eat pretty regularly white/champignon mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus), which is pretty normal here (not sure how that is in other countries).
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Volenta wrote:I haven't ate many different types of mushrooms, but I love to try more of them. I do eat pretty regularly white/champignon mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus), which is pretty normal here (not sure how that is in other countries).
What about truffles in the Netherlands?
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

PrincessPeach wrote:What about truffles in the Netherlands?
Never ate them and don't know much about them. I do know that the psychedelic/magic truffles are legal here, unlike other psychedelic mushrooms (drug policies are a mess). It's one of those things that I actually should try once in my lifetime.