Common Cold & zinc

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Common Cold & zinc

Post by miniboes »

I suffer very often from either the common cold or allergies (sometimes it's hard to tell which is which). I have a doctor's appointment coming up, but I've looked up what one can do to prevent the common cold. It seems to come down to face masks, washing hands frequently and getting enough zinc. The first is not socially acceptable and I'm working on washing my hands better and more often. According to cronometer I get 110-130% of the RDA. Could I benefit from consuming more, and what are the best vegan sources? It seems like most vegan foods are pretty low in zinc unless you include oysters.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Re: Common Cold & zinc

Post by Jebus »

Hand shakes are often the culprit and should be avoided. I work in hospitality so can't avoid them but my coworkers have learned that I prefer the fist bump. Washing your hands frequently would help but most people don't take enough time when doing so. Sing happy birthday twice while washing them.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Jebus wrote:Hand shakes are often the culprit and should be avoided. I work in hospitality so can't avoid them but my coworkers have learned that I prefer the fist bump. Washing your hands frequently would help but most people don't take enough time when doing so. Sing happy birthday twice while washing them.
Yeah, you're right with avoiding handshakes. I can probably avoid them most of the time.
I don't actually know the English happy birthday. How long should it take in seconds?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Learn to break the habit of touching your face, nose, eyes, and mouth with your hands. You probably do it every few minutes and don't realize it.

Males tend to need more Zinc, so taking a modest supplement might not hurt.
See: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/zinc

Maybe aim for a supplement of 50% the RDA.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

Since this thread was bumped anyway, basically my doctor concluded I just had a very sensitive nose with a few annoying allergies. He prescribed me a nose spray and my problem is basically solved now.
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The bump looks like a spammer. These "first unread post" spammers are very strange.
miniboes wrote:Since this thread was bumped anyway, basically my doctor concluded I just had a very sensitive nose with a few annoying allergies. He prescribed me a nose spray and my problem is basically solved now.
What is the nasal spray? Is it a corticosteroid? That's not an ideal solution.

You're probably better off with a HEPA filter in your home, and using the nasal spray in moderation.
You may also consider a neti pot, but beware of the risks (the pot and the saline have to be carefully sterilized).
And allergy shots, if you can get them.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:The bump looks like a spammer. These "first unread post" spammers are very strange.
miniboes wrote:Since this thread was bumped anyway, basically my doctor concluded I just had a very sensitive nose with a few annoying allergies. He prescribed me a nose spray and my problem is basically solved now.
What is the nasal spray? Is it a corticosteroid? That's not an ideal solution.
I don't know what that is. The active ingredient is fluticasone. What would be the problem if it were a corticosteroid?
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote:The active ingredient is fluticasone. What would be the problem if it were a corticosteroid?
Fluticasone is a synthetic glucocorticoid.[1] Both the furoate and propanoate esters, fluticasone furoate and fluticasone propionate, are used as topical anti-inflammatories[2] and inhaled corticosteroids.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluticasone

That's a corticosteroid. See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucocorticoid#Side_effects

I would not recommend it for regular long term use. Save it for when you're going out and can't afford to be sniffly or sneezy.

I would suggest you get an air filter, learn to use a neti pot, and see a doctor about getting some allergy shots (and an allergy test to see what you're allergic to, of course). Those are more viable long term solutions.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/hepa-filters-for-allergies
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/neti-pots Be CAREFUL with neti pots, make sure it's sterilized and the saline is sterile (you can make your own, but measure carefully and boil well).
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tap-water-in-neti-pots-behind-two-brain-eating-amoeba-deaths-in-2011-investigation-finds/

Talk to your doctor about a referral to an allergist for allergy shots.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

brimstoneSalad wrote:I would not recommend it for regular long term use. Save it for when you're going out and can't afford to be sniffly or sneezy.
That's four days a week, sadly. I really don't want to be sniffly in class; I used to constantly have to grab my handkerchief and/or sniff. It's pretty embarrassing and very unhygienic.
brimstoneSalad wrote:I would suggest you get an air filter, learn to use a neti pot
I rarely had problems with it at home, and if I did I didn't mind much because only my parents would be there. It was worst when I went out, especially in class.
brimstoneSalad wrote:and see a doctor about getting some allergy shots (and an allergy test to see what you're allergic to, of course). Those are more viable long term solutions.
I'm allergic to pollen, mites and various animals as far as I know, as well as being sensitive to dust. Do you think allergy shots could help for those?
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: That's four days a week, sadly. I really don't want to be sniffly in class; I used to constantly have to grab my handkerchief and/or sniff. It's pretty embarrassing and very unhygienic.
In that case I would only use it right before class, just long enough for it to kick in. How long does it last?

You can also buy some nose filters and try those. They're barely visible.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/WoodyKnows-Defen ... 00SHELUP0/

Look around at different brands and read reviews (and make sure to get the right size), I didn't research that carefully.
Be aware:
1. It's physically hard to breathe through filters like this (more effort), it will take some getting used to.
2. You'll probably still have some symptoms, and they may not fit or work well (you might have to try a few, and it could be a waste. Anecdotal reports are that they help, but we know how reliable those are, so maybe record how many times you blow your nose with and without to see if they actually help).
3. In theory, they should help a little if the filter material is adequate.
miniboes wrote:I'm allergic to pollen, mites and various animals as far as I know, as well as being sensitive to dust. Do you think allergy shots could help for those?
Yes.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/allergy-shots?page=2
Generally, allergy shots work for allergies to bee stings, pollen, dust mites, mold, and pet dander.
Just see an allergist, he or she should be able to help you. It might not work, but there's a good chance that it will at least lessen the symptoms.