Cauliflower Fettucine Alfredo

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Shadow Fox

Cauliflower Fettucine Alfredo

Post by Shadow Fox »

I love pasta, Pasta of every kind. Meat pasta, Tomatoy Pasta, Alfrado pasta, Pasta with nothing on it. Pasta shells and pasta that looks like pigs tails that pasta elbow macaroni, and pasta shaped like Wagon Wheels. Pasta with broccoli and pasta with other kinds of pasta inside of pasta.

I was looking around my usual places of ideas of what to make and I found this. Its vegan so I thought I would share it with you. I might try it and see how it is in the next week or so.

Cauli-power Fettuccine "Alfredo"
Vegan, refined sugar-free, soy-free
print icon Cauli power Fettuccine “Alfredo” (Vegan)
email icon Cauli power Fettuccine “Alfredo” (Vegan)
A decadent-tasting, but super light and energizing vegan alfredo pasta sauce made with a base of cooked cauliflower! You have to taste this to believe it. The nutritional yeast gives this sauce a lovely "cheesy" flavour while the blended cauliflower creates a luxurious (but light) creamy base. If you don't want to serve it over pasta, try serving it over your favourite roasted vegetables or stirred into cooked rice. Thanks to Pinch of Yum for inspiring this tasty recipe!

Yield
4 servings (or 3 cups sauce)Prep Time
20 MinutesCook time
30 Minutes
Ingredients:

4 heaping cups cauliflower florets (1 small/medium cauliflower)
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic (from 2 med/lg cloves)
1/2 cup unsweetened and unflavored almond milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
Fettuccine pasta of choice (I used one (8-oz) box of Eden Organic Spelt Ribbons)
Fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions:
Add cauliflower florets in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a low boil. Once boiling, cook for another 3-7 minutes until fork tender. Drain.
Meanwhile, add the oil into a skillet and saute the minced garlic over low heat for 4-5 minutes until softened and fragrant, but not browned.
In a high speed blender, add the cooked and drained cauliflower, sauteed garlic, milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Blend until a super smooth sauce forms. If using a Vitamix use the tamper stick as needed. The key here is to get a really smooth sauce so don't be afraid to let it run for a minute or so. Set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add your desired amount of pasta and boil for the time instructed on the package. Drain pasta.
Add cauliflower sauce into the pot (you can use the same pot!) and add the drained pasta. Heat over low-medium until heated enough to your liking. Salt again to taste (the pasta dilutes the flavour).
Serve with fresh minced parsley and black pepper. Feel free to add in your favorite sauteed or roasted vegetables. I think peas, spinach, or broccoli would work very nicely! I added mushrooms, but I wasn't overly crazy about them in this dish.
Notes: 1) To make this pasta sauce extra decadent-tasting, add a tablespoon or two of vegan butter into the sauce. 2) To make this dish gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta. 3) To make this nut-free, use a nut-free non-dairy milk such as soy milk instead of almond milk. Be sure to use unsweetened and unflavoured milk.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Cauliflower Fettucine Alfredo

Post by brimstoneSalad »

This looks like a good recipe. Have you tried it yet?

For mild sauces like this, it's also important to remember that for some brands of soy milk, like silk, even the "plain" is basically vanilla flavor, and you can usually taste it through whatever you cook.

Westsoy and Edensoy make some soy milks that are really plain, and don't have vanilla at all.
Hightower
Diet: Vegan

Re: Cauliflower Fettucine Alfredo

Post by Hightower »

This looks delicious. I'm saving the recipe for later.