How do you handle finding dogs left in hot summer cars?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PrincessPeach
Diet: Vegan

How do you handle finding dogs left in hot summer cars?

Post by PrincessPeach »

I am packing up my things from my grandfathers 70th birthday party at a local park. My heart drops as I find not one but two dogs left in a silver Mazda hatchback with each window cracked about an inch.... I ran to the playground and asked the moms there if they owned the silver Mazda hatchback couldn't find the owner. Then, I look back to the playground and saw a mom I didn't ask I ran up to her and asked her if she owned the car and yes she was. I told her that this is Florida it is one o clock in the afternoon this is the hottest time of the day you need to get your dogs out of the car now or I will be calling the police if you do not get your dogs out of the car. She told me while exhaling an annoyed sigh " I am sick of you peoples I work at a vet, my dogs are fine they have ice water the windows are down and I've only been out here for 5 minutes." I proceeded to tell her that none of that matters you never leave anything alive in a car unattended for any period of time, you need to get your dogs out of your car now and she tells me she is going to walk her dogs now anyways as I walked away back to where our cars where parked.. It took her a few minutes but she finally came and rescued her dogs from the 1pm Florida summer heat.. I was going to let it be that but I saw how red her sons face was & knew they had been playing for more then five minutes like she stated. So, I had to tell her one last thing I said " You would never leave your son in the car with a bottle & play in the park with your dogs, you should treat your animals with the same loving care you give to your son." She said that I approached her the wrong way & said see I am walking them... Her license plate said she was from NY, has no one in that state called her out for leaving dogs in the car? What do you guys think about how I handled this situation and how have or would you deal with this kind of scenario?
Don't be a waste of molecules
Shadow Fox

Re: How do you handle finding dogs left in hot summer cars?

Post by Shadow Fox »

I am not the confrontational type. I don't like it very much, but knowing my luck. If I try to open the door and help the animal I will be accused of burglary.

If I confront whoever did it, They will end up being some giant massive muscled weight lifter kickboxer with a history of anger problems or drug use.

I usually lament about it and walk away.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

I would've done the same thing except confront the owner. Instead I would've just called the police first hand.
She's beautiful...
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I think i would have called the police and had them resolve the issue.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

What you did was brave, but it could have been dangerous too.

Since you were at a park, chances are the owner wasn't a gang banger, so you were probably safe in that case.

But as others said, it's usually best to call the police- or better yet, to call animal protective services directly (to avoid tying up 911; if you know who you need to call, direct is always faster and better).

http://www.miamidade.gov/animals/animal-cruelty.asp

If you're in the Miami-Dade county area, the correct number would be 311
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

I hate cops, I wanted to use them as a last resort I saw a baby seat in the car & figured it was mostly likely a mom with a kid & not a gang banger...

She left her doors unlocked in the car I almost really took them!

I don't live in Miami ~ Thankfully it is a whole another world down there haha! ;-)

At the moment she said "I work at a vet"
I rolled my eyes and thought 'I don't care if you spent 6weeks in a shopping store plaza to get your vet tech license'. Working with animals does not mean you care/love them I notice people that work with animals usually see them as an item and not a real creature ...

Just venting....
Don't be a waste of molecules
Kanade

Post by Kanade »

As someone who studies veterinarian medicine myself what she is saying is utter crap, that's nowhere enough for a dog to vent it's heat.

If i'm in that situation i would call the police but if it was really drastic i would break the windows. I'd rather pay a fine than watching a dog die.
“I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being.”
― Abraham Lincoln