Vegan Extremism.

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Shadow Fox

Vegan Extremism.

Post by Shadow Fox »

Just curious.

https://www.facebook.com/inthenow/video ... 931706579/

What is your opinions on this video. Would you ever do something like this? What is even the point of this? Should people do things like this to themselves?
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Vegan Extremism.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Can you describe the contents of the video?

Also, if possible link on an alternative site (like on youtube, if that's the original source). Facebook is hard for some to use. :)
Thanks.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

oh sure. sorry. It shows a bunch of people in a fenced off area being cut, having small body parts being having themselves branded with numbers and others having other stuff happen to them as well. Like tagged ears etc.

Like, people willingly having what we do to animals done to themselves in public view as a demonstration to show inhumane animal practices and apparently I heard this trend of extremism might be growing in other places too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BIpnl2Kzho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA0bJNM ... 3tdkJbUquk
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Shadow Fox wrote:oh sure. sorry. It shows a bunch of people in a fenced off area being cut, having small body parts being having themselves branded with numbers and others having other stuff happen to them as well. Like tagged ears etc.

Like, people willingly having what we do to animals done to themselves in public view as a demonstration to show inhumane animal practices and apparently I heard this trend of extremism might be growing in other places too.
You have to admit, that's pretty bad ass.

It's a kind of "extremism" that doesn't hurt anybody else, but just shows people what's happening behind closed doors. It's not violent to anybody, It's just educational. It's sending a message.
It's more like extremists Buddhists, who self immolate in protest, instead of extremist Muslims who kill others. It's extremism of personal sacrifice, not harming others.

I don't know if it's effective or not, but it may be. How do you feel when watching it?
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

Horrified and Frightened. Mostly at their insanity for willingly doing that to themselves. I sort of get why they would do it but that is just pure insanity. There are better ways to get a point across and most people will just view them as being stupid or extremists. Yeah, I drink milk and I still eat eggs and use honey on really rare occasions, but I don't eat meat or anything that came from meat like gravy or bullion etc. I understand why someone would cut even that out and I think that if we cut our meat consumption down greatly to having a far significant less amount of it in our daily lives would basically solve the problems we have with the cruelty we have to them.

As for my background and thoughts on the entire subject itself since its been a while since I was last here heh heh.

There is a lot we do to those poor creatures that is completely inhumane. Ear tags are fine if you need to keep track of and protect your animals but that branding shit is just out of fucking line and far to cruel. Tags are more like getting a ear piercing without the ice first. Plus there is what we do to chickens which I think we could just drop chickens from our diet completely or leave them up to something you could consume via your own farming like what people used to do in the old days where a chicken was treated a lot like a family pet until it was old enough or winter time was coming near.

One of the reasons I buy only grass fed milk is because the farms that I research treat their cows far better and they have better lives than that of chemical filled grain diets that spend their entire lives inside some building. They have most of the year where they are able to have time out in a field eating grass and being outside and much happier. Free range chicken eggs is also a more humane solution to satisfy my need for eggs, although I don't typically use them most of the time and try to stay away from any restaurants that use them. People literally slam chickens into crates by throwing them by their necks, kicking the poor creatures, punching, stabbing them, electrical prods and so much worst. For me it is not the act of killing the animal, but the suffering and inhumane treatment they are given before being brutally killed. The small farm, the kind of thing most people think of when they think of owning a farm of their own where the animals are cared for and treated with love and given plenty of space and time to roam and friends to be around etc, before being in a more human way killed for the consumption of the family is more along what we should be doing, in order to do that and have enough for everyone we would have to cut our consumption down to at least 10=20% of what it is today. Making meat something we only do about half as much as what we should be drinking soda and juice right now lol. Like if meat was something people only had like once or twice a week than I think our farms for the animals and their numbers would be low enough for us to be able to achieve a far more control over the way they are kept, treated and harvested. We wouldn't treat them so inhuman and it would be more like just how it was back in the old days before our grandparents times even.....just with bigger farms still and more of them.

I won't deny your opening statement though, it is pretty hard core of them to do that but INSANE too!
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Shadow Fox wrote:Horrified and Frightened. Mostly at their insanity for willingly doing that to themselves.
I would say it's only insane if it's pointless and ineffective.

What if, by doing that, they're changing people's minds and reducing animal suffering? Then it's just seriously bad ass. They're taking suffering upon themselves to save innocents of even greater suffering.

I can say I despise the people who commit violence and harm others for animal rights. But this is something different.
If out of the hundreds watching, even a few percent are inspired, that could make a pretty big difference. The greatest challenge in reaching people today is in getting their attention and getting past those walls people put up.

Shadow Fox wrote:There are better ways to get a point across and most people will just view them as being stupid or extremists.
What are the better ways?

I mean, they could stand there and say "Hi, please be nice to animals and go veg. Thanks!"

But is that going to gather crowds of hundreds of people? Will that be inspiring and memorable?

It's a question of efficacy. And just reaching people, even if less effective by percentage, can be more effective overall. I think it's something we'd need to study by doing surveys of people's attitudes.
I won't claim to know if this is effective or not. But it's hard to come away from this and not be like "That's crazy but also kind of bad ass, I wonder what inspired them to care so much about this?"
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

Hm, well I couldn't find a like or "I agree" button anywhere so I will just say it and all. You do make some good points there.

I care about animals, I just don't really care....as much as these people do I guess. Currently, I am 8 months in on being fully vegetarian. Depending on how I feel about it or whatever, when my year anniversary comes I may do what I mentioned earlier but with an even more restriction, I may have like A meat thing like once a month or every other week, mainly because of how horribly I miss a couple of things I used to make for myself terribly so lol. So maybe once a month or so I will have a thing but for the most part I most likely will not go back to my old eating ways. Not with knowing what I know and feeling what I feel etc. But that all depends on how I feel, right now I feel its a 30 / ( that once a month thing) 70 ( stay as I am).

One thing I can say is that this level of extremism is dangerous. Dangerous to the person at least because just imagine if they went further than branding resulting in deaths of themselves. It wouldn't be the first time demonstrators like this turned too far before. I just hope that doesn't happen with any of them.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Shadow Fox wrote: One thing I can say is that this level of extremism is dangerous. Dangerous to the person at least because just imagine if they went further than branding resulting in deaths of themselves. It wouldn't be the first time demonstrators like this turned too far before. I just hope that doesn't happen with any of them.
Yes, it could be dangerous for them. I hope they have a nurse or something, or go to the hospital after to make sure they don't get infections.
Shadow Fox wrote:I may have like A meat thing like once a month or every other week, mainly because of how horribly I miss a couple of things I used to make for myself terribly so lol.
What are you missing? Have you tried beyond meat, or the impossible burger?
There are some amazing mock meat products coming on the market now. It's great to support these companies as now and then purchases, since they're doing good work in satisfying cravings.

You're doing great so far, I hope you keep it up. :)
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any problems or need help/suggestions.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

Shadow Fox wrote:Hm, well I couldn't find a like or "I agree" button anywhere so I will just say it and all. You do make some good points there.

I care about animals, I just don't really care....as much as these people do I guess. Currently, I am 8 months in on being fully vegetarian. Depending on how I feel about it or whatever, when my year anniversary comes I may do what I mentioned earlier but with an even more restriction, I may have like A meat thing like once a month or every other week, mainly because of how horribly I miss a couple of things I used to make for myself terribly so lol. So maybe once a month or so I will have a thing but for the most part I most likely will not go back to my old eating ways. Not with knowing what I know and feeling what I feel etc. But that all depends on how I feel, right now I feel its a 30 / ( that once a month thing) 70 ( stay as I am).

One thing I can say is that this level of extremism is dangerous. Dangerous to the person at least because just imagine if they went further than branding resulting in deaths of themselves. It wouldn't be the first time demonstrators like this turned too far before. I just hope that doesn't happen with any of them.
Hey, I remember you. :P
Welcome back. :)

Yeah, I saw this video on Facebook. I thought it was just staged, but if it's real... I don't know. I think that it probably makes veganism look crazy and extreme. But how can you condemn the people who did it if they suffered that badly for what they believe is helping animals, and maybe is?

Wow, you're vegetarian now? What inspired you to go vegetarian?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Shadow Fox wrote: One thing I can say is that this level of extremism is dangerous. Dangerous to the person at least because just imagine if they went further than branding resulting in deaths of themselves. It wouldn't be the first time demonstrators like this turned too far before. I just hope that doesn't happen with any of them.
Yes, it could be dangerous for them. I hope they have a nurse or something, or go to the hospital after to make sure they don't get infections.
Shadow Fox wrote:I may have like A meat thing like once a month or every other week, mainly because of how horribly I miss a couple of things I used to make for myself terribly so lol.
What are you missing? Have you tried beyond meat, or the impossible burger?
There are some amazing mock meat products coming on the market now. It's great to support these companies as now and then purchases, since they're doing good work in satisfying cravings.

You're doing great so far, I hope you keep it up. :)
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any problems or need help/suggestions.

Well, I am aware of beyond meat and I do enjoy the burger patties they make.

I know, it is very hypocritical of me lol. But I have tried like 3 different kinds of buffalo chicken nuggets and none of them quite come even close.
It is hypocritical because seeing the millions of baby fur-balls go down a belt and get tossed into a machine on the same day I pet a bunch of the cute fur-balls at the local grange co-op near me when picking up food for my little ratties is what made me want to try and make the change. It was my most favorite food on the planet lol, Although I only ever think about those when i am at work and have to make the actual thing,.

I suppose the one thing I miss most of all and the most likely thing I would make into my once a month or bi weekly meat thing is A Steak. Not the cheap kind but the T bone or Prime Rib which was something I always had at least once a month. Plus, even though I could look up recipes online, my grill has seen zero action in the last year.

Before I ever made the decision though I had a general rule for anything I would eat. Never eat anything I thought was cute. I tried crocodile once or twice but after a while of stuff happening where I was exposed to more pictures of them and stuff, the crocodiles cute-ness factor started growing on me. Same kind of happened with chicks.

There is one other item that was a favorite thing of mine. Maruchan Ramen....Been eating that nearly every day since I was a small child when my big sis introduced it to me.