Alternative to Yogurt?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Alternative to Yogurt?

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

Yeah, I know they have vegan yogurt, but it is very expensive near me, as much as 2 dollars for a small cup of yogurt from Daiya. Not a good replacement for me. I am trying to cut back, if not eliminate yogurt from my diet, but I still want something that tastes and feels similar to yogurt. I was thinking of blending some almond milk and fruit together to make something similar, but I do not even know where to start with that, and I would rather not have a yogurt that tastes like a ton of banana or mango.

I was thinking maybe trying cashews or avocado with almond milk as a way to make the yogurt alternative creamy, and then adding splenda and chopped fruit like strawberries, blueberries, or peaches. Cashews are also very soft, which tend to make it creamy like yogurt, which I actually want to try. This will still be more expensive than plain dairy yogurt, but not 2 dollars per 6 ounces. Looking at recipes I want to try the cashew yogurt recipe with lemon juice, fruit, almond milk, some splenda, and a pinch of salt.

What do you all think? Any ideas? Any tips or recommendations for other alternatives?
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/
bearbear287
Diet: Vegan

Re: Alternative to Yogurt?

Post by bearbear287 »

Well definitely don't eat dairy yogurt! But you can probably find lots of vegan yogurt recopies online, I like to use pintrest for that. Personally I never liked any form of yogurt so I can't be of help there. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a great recepie.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cashews are probably your best bet, if you don't mind the cashew taste.

Or you can make your own yogurt (using a yogurt maker or makeshift warm place).
For example:
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/yogurt-recipes/vegan-yogurt/

The typical thickener is pectin or agar. Pectin is pretty cheap and widely available. There's some effort involved, but it will end up cheaper than even the dairy based stuff.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Cashews are probably your best bet, if you don't mind the cashew taste.

Or you can make your own yogurt (using a yogurt maker or makeshift warm place).
For example:
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/yogurt-recipes/vegan-yogurt/

The typical thickener is pectin or agar. Pectin is pretty cheap and widely available. There's some effort involved, but it will end up cheaper than even the dairy based stuff.
I have considered making my own cultured yogurt from almond milk, but at least for the moment it just seems like more effort than I feel like putting in for yogurt. I will test out the cashew yogurt recipe first. It seems rather popular, especially in the Raw community, so I hope it tastes good! I have had recipes before that everyone swore was the best thing ever, just to find out that it sucked... like Tempeh.
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:I have had recipes before that everyone swore was the best thing ever, just to find out that it sucked... like Tempeh.
Some people are sensitive to the bitterness. If you boil it first, I hear that helps.