Shadow Fox's Atheist Banana Bread (Non-Vegan)

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox's Atheist Banana Bread (Non-Vegan)

Post by Shadow Fox »

The most important thing you need to know about this recipe is that before making anything, you need to make sure none of the ingredients believe in any gods.

None of the ingredients can believe in god. That is what makes it an athiest banana bread....OK?!

Shadow Fox's Banana Nut Bread
4 ripe bananas, smashed, I used an electric mixer only because I didn't have anything to smash it with. Works just fine.
1/3 cup melted butter ( Or vegan butter)
1 cup sugar (can easily reduce to 3/4 cup)
1 Egg, OR Egg substitute
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
Some Walnuts..if you want.
1 1/2 cups of Flour. ( or almond flour)
1/2 tsp Salt.

Mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl with masher or mixer if you don't have a masher. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour in after that and when the flour is about half way mix, start to mix in the nuts. I don't have a measurement but i took two hand full and crushed them a little bit with my hands and threw them in the mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour or when you put a fork or toothpick into it and it comes up dry. Let it cool on a rack for a while first and then serve.

Notes:
Make sure the bananas are like, really black. Not like totally where they are rotting but you know. Well past the time when they are able to be eaten. Yellow should not be something that can be easily seen on them. That is when you know they are ready for bread. Because when you open them they should be really browned with almost the entire banana covered in brown and those icky gooey looking spots that take over the banana when it’s over ripe.
Last edited by Shadow Fox on Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
bobo0100
Diet: Vegan

Re: Shadow Fox's Atheist Banana Bread

Post by bobo0100 »

vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Bananas don't have to be old to make banana bread.

If you're not strong enough to smash a non-mushy banana into a mush inside a minute with a fork, you don't deserve to eat banana bread.

This recipe needs more flour. It more closely resembles a cookie than bread now.
Also, eggs and butter are unnecessary.

Use canola oil instead of butter, and double the flour.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Bananas don't have to be old to make banana bread.

If you're not strong enough to smash a non-mushy banana into a mush inside a minute with a fork, you don't deserve to eat banana bread.

This recipe needs more flour. It more closely resembles a cookie than bread now.
Also, eggs and butter are unnecessary.

Use canola oil instead of butter, and double the flour.
That is not the point.

Older banana is more mature and has more flavor to the bread then new fresh bananas.

Trust me. The bread is just fine with the amount of flour.
Egg and butter are nessessary. If you absolutely have to replace them, I guess go ahead. But keep in mind that I am a omnivore.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Shadow Fox wrote: Older banana is more mature and has more flavor to the bread then new fresh bananas.
Older bananas are rotting, and contribute products of fermentation- it's not usually a pleasant flavor. If you want the alcohol content, you can always hit it with a shot of beer, or rum, or something.

However, it doesn't appreciably affect the flavor anyway.

Banana bread has traditionally been a way to get rid of bananas that are rotting without having to eat them directly (since they are considered inedible at that point).
Waiting for bananas to rot so that you can make banana bread is silly.
Shadow Fox wrote:Egg and butter are nessessary. If you absolutely have to replace them, I guess go ahead. But keep in mind that I am a omnivore.
I thought you were just trolling.

Did you really not understand that this was a vegan food forum?
Do you not understand forum hierarchies or something?

Look at the main page. See how it says Vegan Forums? There's a whole section there, with three sub-forums. Do you see how one of the forums INSIDE that section (which contains all of the Vegan Forums) is "Food"? The "Food" forum is one of the Vegan Forums.

Why would a carnist food forum be located inside the Vegan Forums section?

Hmm... Think about it for a minute. Let me know if anything starts to germinate.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
Shadow Fox wrote: Older banana is more mature and has more flavor to the bread then new fresh bananas.
Older bananas are rotting, and contribute products of fermentation- it's not usually a pleasant flavor. If you want the alcohol content, you can always hit it with a shot of beer, or rum, or something.

However, it doesn't appreciably affect the flavor anyway.

Banana bread has traditionally been a way to get rid of bananas that are rotting without having to eat them directly (since they are considered inedible at that point).
Waiting for bananas to rot so that you can make banana bread is silly.
I see here. You misunderstand.

I mean when the bananas are starting to get those brown spots and have a good few of them. Maybe I will reword how I put it. They need to be a little bit past their peak. They need to be sorta...more like this. Image

This is what I meant. I guess I used wrong words.
Shadow Fox wrote:Egg and butter are nessessary. If you absolutely have to replace them, I guess go ahead. But keep in mind that I am a omnivore.
I thought you were just trolling.

Did you really not understand that this was a vegan food forum?
Do you not understand forum hierarchies or something?

Oh, Sorry. I actually meant to put those in Quotes " " So you knew I was being sarcastic when making that comment. My bad.

Yes, you do not "need" the butter or the eggs. Its what the recipe I use myself calls for but I am well aware of substitutes which I have thought of trying sometime due to my Vegan roommate. I didn't actually mean anything by it. Failed at being funny I guess.

also, I wonder what this would be like with almond flour instead.

Note: I made mods to the original P.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Shadow Fox wrote: Yes, you do not "need" the butter or the eggs. Its what the recipe I use myself calls for but I am well aware of substitutes which I have thought of trying sometime due to my Vegan roommate. I didn't actually mean anything by it. Failed at being funny I guess.
Fair enough.
Shadow Fox wrote: also, I wonder what this would be like with almond flour instead.
Wheat flour contains gluten, which an important elastic kind of protein that acts to bind the bread together, and also helps it rise more.

Almond flour is arguably more delicious, however.

You'd end up with a rather different kind of bread- richer, but less fluffy, and a little more crumbly.
Shadow Fox

Re: Shadow Fox's Atheist Banana Bread (Non-Vegan)

Post by Shadow Fox »

OH! You just reminded me of a recipe! I have something with Almond flour! Posting it soon.