Just tried VeganEgg by Follow Your Heart

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Sapphire Lightning
Diet: Vegan

Just tried VeganEgg by Follow Your Heart

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

I ran across a package of this in the supermarket today and snagged it to see what all the buzz was about. And I will have to say, that they did a very good job with this Vegan "Egg" product. Very simple instructions, cooks up in a pan just like the much more cruel version, even has that farty smell of the real deal as well (Kala Namak I am guessing is in there).
Bear in mind, when I was a carnist I never really liked eggs, unless they were scrambled and had a ton of salt and pepper added.
Here is my short review;
The texture and taste were practically identical to how I remember scrambled eggs, and I even got a flashback to eating scrambled chicken menstruations as a child. The only real difference in taste I could find is that they smell/taste a lot less "farty", which is a good thing IMHO. I ate some of the test batch without salt and pepper to see what the base flavor was, and I could actually eat it, unlike real eggs when I was younger.
Verdict: Good job on them! If this was handed to me when I was a carnist, I would have eaten this instead of eggs. They are a bit on the pricy side tho.

Anyways, I always try to support companies that make products that help "bridge the gap" between animal and plant based lifestyles, as it makes it easier for carnists to make the switch.

Has anyone else tried VeganEggs?

Edit: Sorry for the wordiness of the review, I am tired... Brain is bleh today.
Carnist: Kills animals and then takes from their bodies
Vegetarian: Takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable
Vegan: Avoids unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Just tried VeganEgg by Follow Your Heart

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Great review! It wasn't too wordy at all.
I'll have to try these.
Sapphire Lightning

Ok, just made a large batch of it. Cant really eat it. It reminds me too much of eggs. The gross factor is kicking in....
Vegetarian: Takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable
Vegan: Avoids unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

I have used it for scrabble eggs and in baking. It works well. Thinking of trying to make creme brulee with it. Have you tried their cheeses? I just tried their mozzarella vegan cheese it was the best I have had; and I have tried a lot of different recipes.
Its a nice feeling when people can agree on something. Don't you agree?
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^Huh?
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I forgot about this post.

I managed to try this some time ago, and I agree with the assessment of the original poster.

Anybody else manage to find them?
bearbear287

Post by bearbear287 »

Ooh I really need to try that for baking, I haven't been able to find it tho.
Red
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Red »

Alright, where do I get some?
Learning never exhausts the mind.
-Leonardo da Vinci
Sapphire Lightning

I found it in the baking section of the local super market. You may have to ask your grocery store to carry it for you if you can't find it. You can also order it online, but that costs more due to shipping.