Fed up with these jokes (Rant)

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
_Doc
Diet: Vegan

Fed up with these jokes (Rant)

Post by _Doc »

So I have been just keeping my mouth shut when my mom mocks my veganism. Or in her mind it just a joke. It is beginning to really piss me off. I have told her before that I do not like those type of jokes but, she continues. I don't feel like talking about it to her again if she is just going to still do it. I have never made fun of her Religion or joked about it. Yet she does it to my vegan belief. I am almost tempted of pushing back. Make jokes about her religion. But, then that would only add to the fire. I don't want to hate my mom nor do I want her to hate me.
What should I even do...?

Sorry just wanted to get this out some way.
Its a nice feeling when people can agree on something. Don't you agree?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Fed up with these jokes (Rant)

Post by brimstoneSalad »

You should probably just start making fun of and joking about her religion. It sounds like she's ignorant about how it makes you feel. When she has a problem with it, you can explain to her that's how you feel when she "jokes" about veganism, and ask her if she think you should each continue to "joke", or if you can respect each other.

If you don't want to do that, the only way to save the relationship in light of this harassment and disrespect is probably just to avoid her as much as possible until you're 18 and can move out. If she asks you why you are avoiding her or not talking to her, tell her directly that you feel like she is harassing you and the "jokes" are not appreciated and taken as harassment. Explain that you have already asked her many times to stop, and she has refused, so you have given up. Once you move out, you may be able to resume the relationship with more respect and without the power she holds over you as a parent.
Sapphire Lightning

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

I agree with Mr. Salad above. Sometimes people can forget that others have deep feelings for the things they believe in, so it would be a quick lesson for her to get it immediately back, with an explanation as to why you joked about her religion.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

That sounds frustrating. And yeah^, I agree. If you already told her it bothers you, and she keeps doing it, then maybe showing her what it's like will give her some perspective.

However, it might also just make her really angry.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

Thank you, all. I know she would get angry because I made a joke using old English and she took it as a jab at her Bible. I am 19 but I am still reliant of my parents for college. Forgot to explain the things I have done in retaliation. I do not except food from her. When she tells a joke about my veganism I don't respond and I have a stern face. But, it seems that the last resort is to show her how I feel. I won't do that unless I am at the edge.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

_Doc wrote:Thank you, all. I know she would get angry because I made a joke using old English and she took it as a jab at her Bible. I am 19 but I am still reliant of my parents for college.
What are you studying in university? Do you think they will stop paying for your school if she gets angry at you?
_Doc wrote:When she tells a joke about my veganism I don't respond and I have a stern face.
She apparently thinks that's funny.
_Doc wrote:But, it seems that the last resort is to show her how I feel. I won't do that unless I am at the edge.
I don't recommend waiting until you're "at the edge" if you value the relationship at all. If you plan on cutting ties with her (beyond a "happy holidays" email once a year) once you're done with school, though, I guess that's fine. This has nothing to do with veganism, it just sounds like she doesn't respect you and you have nothing in common.
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

brimstoneSalad wrote: What are you studying in university? Do you think they will stop paying for your school if she gets angry at you?
Cyber Security. I doubt it. But, I would not want to risk it. Probable just overreacting from other's stories.
brimstoneSalad wrote: She apparently thinks that's funny.
I don't think so. Once I do it she stops chuckling and goes quite or changes the topic.
brimstoneSalad wrote: I don't recommend waiting until you're "at the edge" if you value the relationship at all. If you plan on cutting ties with her (beyond a "happy holidays" email once a year) once you're done with school, though, I guess that's fine. This has nothing to do with veganism, it just sounds like she doesn't respect you and you have nothing in common.
I don't think she doesn't respect me. I think she feels guilty and tries to joke it away.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

_Doc wrote: I don't think so. Once I do it she stops chuckling and goes quite or changes the topic.
Then you may want to add to that, by telling her overtly that it was disrespectful and she should apologize.

If she doesn't apologize, that proves she doesn't respect you.
_Doc wrote: I think she feels guilty and tries to joke it away.
Maybe.

Make a jar, and ask her to put in $20 for an animal charity every time she "jokes" about your veganism. If she really respects you and recognizes that she's wrong to do that, then she'll put the money in the jar.
Sapphire Lightning

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Maybe.

Make a jar, and ask her to put in $20 for an animal charity every time she "jokes" about your veganism. If she really respects you and recognizes that she's wrong to do that, then she'll put the money in the jar.

If the jar is to be used, I would say a single dollar or maybe five, that way she would actually have to use it. 20 dollars is a lot of money and she may just joke the idea of the jar away and ignore it.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Sapphire Lightning wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote: Maybe.

If the jar is to be used, I would say a single dollar or maybe five, that way she would actually have to use it. 20 dollars is a lot of money and she may just joke the idea of the jar away and ignore it.
I was going to say $100. It depends on how much she makes, but $20 isn't anywhere nearly as much to a middle class adult in the U.S. as it is elsewhere in the world or to a teen.