Should products be required to display if vegan

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.

Should products be require to display to the buyer whether or not it is vegan?

Yes
80%
No
No votes
Not required but, strongly suggested
20%

Total votes: 5

_Doc
Diet: Vegan

Should products be required to display if vegan

Post by _Doc »

Should products be require to display to the buyer whether or not it is vegan? Sure it is not that hard to look at the ingredients and determine if it is vegan. But, there are some ingredients that can be made from both sources: animal or plant. As well as man made ingredients that have long names. I use an app to help me find out if a product is truly vegan if it has an ingredient I am unsure of.

Edit:
My vote is yes, they should be required to.
Its a nice feeling when people can agree on something. Don't you agree?
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Should products be required to display if vegan

Post by EquALLity »

I think so, though it's not something I see as a big deal. It's just convenient.

I don't think we should worry about trace ingredients that may or may not be animal derived anyway.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Should products be required to display if vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It might be great for veganism to get the word out there more, so people are familiar with it and can see how many products are vegan. I don't think it's a realistic prospect, though, at this point. Products aren't required to say that they're kosher, for example. It would probably be more likely as a voluntary measure, which would involve calling companies known to have vegan products and asking them to add a note on their packaging; it would probably have to be backed by a non-profit giving certification, though, since companies may not want to take upon themselves that kind of liability.