What to eat on a cold/flu?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
HomogenizedCowPuss
Diet: Vegan

What to eat on a cold/flu?

Post by HomogenizedCowPuss »

I usually eat chicken broth this is the first time I've gotten a cold/flu since trying to alter my diet, so what do you guys do? Nausea is not a major problem but I don't think a ton of super fiberous foods are a good idea either.

Again, I'm not a vegan so any opinion would be good, but as few animal products as possible would be preferred. (I don't know why it says my diet is vegan but I can't change it, so yeah)
_Doc

Re: What to eat on a cold/flu?

Post by _Doc »

I have heard sage tea is good to drink while on the flu or cold. I have not tried it yet. Haven't gotten sick since I went vegan but, it has only been a year so I will eventually. Other than that I am not really sure.
Its a nice feeling when people can agree on something. Don't you agree?
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

If you don't want to cook (I don't think anyone who is sick wants to actually), a good veggie soup usually works too. Some of them do have beef or chicken stock as an ingredient, so you may want to check labels. Ginger-ale (only the kind with REAL ginger) can help with the nausea, but I like to use the ginger root itself. They're a pain to peel, but eating a few small slices does wonders.

And if you want to change your dietary preference on the board, click your avatar at the top of the screen, select the user control panel, then select the profile option tab, and you can edit it.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Sapphire Lightning

Post by Sapphire Lightning »

If you keep a box of veggie broth and bags of frozen veggies on hand (and really, who wouldn't? ;) ) you could very quickly make a veggie noodle soup.
Way I go about it when I just need something quick, dump the broth in a large saucepot, dump in a few handfuls of random frozen veggies and dump in whatever spices you like (when I am sick it is salt, pepper, garlic, onion, oregano and salt). Break some whole wheat pasta in half, throw it in the pot. Bring it to a low boil and then pull back to a simmer and let it cook for 15 more minutes (mostly for the pasta to cook). Stirring now and again.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

The important thing is just staying hydrated and having enough nutrition. No food is really all that special (it won't shorten the cold). It's more just habit that we eat certain things when we have a cold or flu.
Soup is popular, because it's easy to eat and helps with the hydration a little. But a peanut butter sandwich and water should mostly do the trick too.

Sapphire Lightning's recipe is good; I do something similar sometimes. But I'd add some chickpeas or lentils if possible for some extra protein and vitamins/minerals.