Farming bugs for meat

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Anon0045
Diet: Vegan

Farming bugs for meat

Post by Anon0045 »

What do you think about farming bugs for meat? Which bugs would be acceptable to farm if any?
PrincessPeach

Re: Farming bugs for meat

Post by PrincessPeach »

Lady bugs are 'farmed' in organic growning, I believe it's because they eat the bugs that would eat up the crops.

Bee's are 'farmed' for almonds and about 90 other crops just in the Western Hemisphere, the use of chemical pesticides could be linked to Colinary Collapse Disease ( CCD ) 33% of bee population dying each year in the W.H. it all started back in 2007 (i think) when a new pesticide was released....!
Don't be a waste of molecules
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

PrincessPeach wrote:Lady bugs are 'farmed' in organic growning,
I wouldn't say that they are farmed. It's just the way they live. All that has to be done is buy packs of lady bugs at the market and release them onto your plants. And every year they come back and breed and the same thing happens in a cycle.

I think he's talking about farming to an extent of industrial level.
She's beautiful...
Anon0045

Post by Anon0045 »

Yes, I was wondering about meat consumption.
Humane Hominid

Post by Humane Hominid »

Anon0045 wrote:What do you think about farming bugs for meat? Which bugs would be acceptable to farm if any?
Why bother? They don't provide any nutrients that aren't available from plants.
Eat kind, be strong.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

Why would you want to commit mass murder of innocent sentient bugs? Is that not against what you believe in? Should it not matter if its bug or animal to vegans?
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

Shadow Fox wrote:Why would you want to commit mass murder of innocent sentient bugs? Is that not against what you believe in? Should it not matter if its bug or animal to vegans?
Nobody was suggesting that we should. Plus tyou won't be contributing to he "mass murder" of bugs when you can just grow the plants yourself.
She's beautiful...
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

dan1073 wrote:
Shadow Fox wrote:Why would you want to commit mass murder of innocent sentient bugs? Is that not against what you believe in? Should it not matter if its bug or animal to vegans?
Nobody was suggesting that we should. Plus tyou won't be contributing to he "mass murder" of bugs when you can just grow the plants yourself.
wait then, I am getting confused. The op's original post said farming bugs for meat. Does that not imply he/she is asking the question of is it ok to farm bugs to eat them like animals?

At least that is what I was responding to when I posted that.

Your second part of the post makes sense lol.
We are all born Atheists, everyone of us. We are born without the Shackles of theism arresting our minds. It is not until we are poisoned by the fears and delusions of others that we become trapped in the psychopathic dream world of theism.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Anon0045 wrote:What do you think about farming bugs for meat? Which bugs would be acceptable to farm if any?
1. It's acceptable to eat pests, but NOT to farm them.
-That is, if you have to kill them for another reason e.g. mosquitoes, to protect against disease (this is self defense), then there's nothing inherently wrong with eating them.

2. It's assumed that insects are less sentient than other animals we typically eat, and this may be true, but less sentient is not the same as non-sentient. It may be less wrong, but it is still a little bit wrong to farm insects.
-However, you won't see me protesting the action today, as I see it as the lesser of evils compared to farming our highly intelligent and emotional near relatives (cows, pigs, chickens, etc.).

3. It is actually more efficient to farm insects than most larger animals. Conversion of feed stock to protein is higher. Insects are also more healthy to eat. Pathogens that affect insects are also far less likely to affect humans, but they can still be carriers. From an environmental and health perspective, there is also less argument against it- although still not no argument at all.

It is preferable to farm only plants. If you feel like you have to grow and eat an animal of some kind, oysters are the next reasonable choice (likely not being sentient, and arguably being more sustainable, tapping a resource we can not otherwise tap), insects are far down the line.
Shadow Fox

Post by Shadow Fox »

I see, I think I understand whats what on this now.

Thanks for informing me.

Edit...add on for fun. PM if you wanna discuss it or whatever. Its just a silly video about plants being sentient what if kinda video etc.
Here is a video from one of my favorite youtubers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw4itH7CRes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVOglGKA53s