Fishing

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Spitfire
Diet: Pescetarian

Fishing

Post by Spitfire »

I am wondering what vegans think about fishing,not the kind with a trawler , but a fishing rod and either live or artificial bait even if it's for catch and release. Would like your opinion on the subject
Twizelby
Diet: Vegan

Re: Fishing

Post by Twizelby »

no they have nerves in their lips too http://www.spiegel.de/international/zei ... 49956.html
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

Fish are sentient, and eating them is unnecessary (just like land animals).
You don't need to know much else to make a decision.
They're fully capable of feeling pain, and they have a desire to live/avoid suffering.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
bobo0100

Post by bobo0100 »

And than there's the question of what, or who, you use as bait.

When it comes to catch and release. Even if you use lures with barbless hooks, you need to look at what the fish is thinking. Is it likely that the fish can survive, is it likely that a spicies less likely to survive a catch and release is going to bite? The only way you can make it seem like a good thing is in regards to science, making sure we know what the populations are looking like.
vegan: to exclude—as far as is practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for any purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of humans, animals and the environment.
Spitfire
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by Spitfire »

I am aware all living things feel pain or a similar reaction, if a animal did not feel pain it could arugeable how the spieces would even survive because it could respond to things such as wounds or broken bones incorrectly.
Twizelby

Post by Twizelby »

Spitfire wrote:I am aware all living things feel pain or a similar reaction, if a animal did not feel pain it could arugeable how the spieces would even survive because it could respond to things such as wounds or broken bones incorrectly.
Is this an argument for something? I'm not sure where you are going with this if it is.
Anon0045

Post by Anon0045 »

All living things does not feel pain. I don't see a reason for why plants would feel pain for example, if they can't do anything about it.
TheVeganAtheist
Site Admin

Post by TheVeganAtheist »

I'm opposed to all forms of hunting.
Do you find the forum to be quiet and inactive?
- Do your part by engaging in new and old topics
- Don't wait for others to start NEW topics, post one yourself
- Invite family, friends or critics
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Catch and release, for purposes of ecological surveys, tagging, etc. can be acceptable if done responsibly, and for the benefit of the fish and the environment. Doing it for entertainment is not; you're putting a hook through the fish's face, and that's a pretty serious injury if you don't have a very good reason to do it.

If you want to "fish" by just securely tying some vegan bait onto the line (make sure it's a type which is not poisonous for the fish), and playing tug of war with a fish for a few seconds, until it can get the food free, that may be fine. You can even pull fish out of the water a little bit that way before they let go, or the food gets pulled off.
The issue there is one of choice for the fish, and lack of injury to the fish; when the fish is frightened, it can choose to let go and swim away. Some fish are more stubborn and/or brave, and will stay on the line to get the food off so you can see them out of the water and even take a quick picture (if you're fast enough).

If you grew up fishing with your parents, and you really want to share some similar experience with your children, then do that (bring a camera, and tie food on the line without a hook). You'll probably never get the fish on the land (they will almost always let go before that happens), and it's very unlikely that any fish will be harmed in the process (since as soon as they're frightened or uncomfortable, they can let go and swim away).
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

My friend took me along on his fishing trip (didn't take part in it, but I was curious since I had never been on a fishing boat before, nor have I seen anyone fish, this is before I was vegan.) Every fish he caught he just threw them into a bucket. Not a bucket full of water, but just an empty bucket. I couldn't stand to watch them suffer. Another fish he caught the hook went straight through it's eye. It was unfortunate since it was a baby and we're not allowed to keep the babies (I just wanted it to stop suffering).

Overall the trip was pretty horrifying and I don't think I'll ever do it again.
She's beautiful...