owning lizards

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Haterkid69

owning lizards

Post by Haterkid69 »

so i was watching vegangains's video and then in the comments sections they're a bunch of retarded people arguing that "owning lizards isn't vegan and blablabla" its not even his pet to begin with it's his girlfriends she got them before she went vegan, i swear to god some vegans are dogmatic and refuse anything they don't agree with, without taking considerations, literally "this is how it's supposed to be, and that's final"

if you had pets before you went vegan would you get rid of them, the animals you've fed, supported, etc. or get rid of them by releasing them to the wild, (where they're not likely to survive anymore) to support your damned cause when you go vegan?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: owning lizards

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Haterkid69 wrote: if you had pets before you went vegan would you get rid of them, the animals you've fed, supported, etc. or get rid of them by releasing them to the wild, (where they're not likely to survive anymore) to support your damned cause when you go vegan?
When people go vegan, they shouldn't throw away the meat and dairy in their kitchens, but finish it up so not to waste.
They also keep wearing the leather until it wears out (like old shoes).
Throwing them away doesn't help anybody.

In the same sense, people may feel a sense of obligation to follow through on a commitment to pets, keeping them fed and healthy until their natural deaths.
There are a few crazy vegans saying to release your pets into the wild (presuming they won't die, or even knowing they probably will); such a position is pretty alienating.

The idea is that you just don't get new pets like this, don't buy new leather shoes, don't buy more meat and dairy, etc.

About getting new pets: It's arguably OK if they're rescues. The alternative is the animal dying, so it's not necessarily doing more harm to adopt them. The problem most vegans disagree with is breeding.

I don't disagree with breeding in ALL cases, but I would say that anybody who supports breeding adopts a heavy burden of proof that those adopting rescues do not carry.
wyc8lme
Diet: Meat-Eater

Re: owning lizards

Post by wyc8lme »

In general, keeping a pet is not an easy task, as you have to come up with everything your pet may require. Moreover, your life will be totally changed when you decide to own a pet: [hide]bigessaywriter.com/blog/how-owning-pet-can-change-your-life[/hide]. Hope that you'll get all we meant in that post! Good luck!