low energy levels

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
marvande
Diet: Vegan

low energy levels

Post by marvande »

Hi!
I have been a vegan for two weeks now. I transitioned slowly, first going vegetarian for three years, then reducing my dairy intake until I was completely dairy free.
I have read that for many vegans their energy levels are much higher since they have transitioned, but I am experiencing just the opposite. I am feeling more tired and less concentrated. It's hard to say if it's because of the diet change or if it's just because I had a rough year and finished my exams a few weeks ago so I don't want to blame it immediately on my diet.
Anyway, I wanted to know if someone else had experienced this when they transitioned or if you have some tips for me :)

Thank you for your help.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: low energy levels

Post by miniboes »

Welcome to the forum!

Can you give us an overview of what you eat on an average day? If you'd fill it in on https://cronometer.com/ and send us a screenshot that'd be especially useful, since then we can instantly see if you're deficient in anything. An iron deficiency, for example, could cause the problems you describe.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Hi marvande, welcome!

Have you used cronometer before? I would recommend inputting a couple sample days there and seeing what it says your nutrients are. Also, if you could give us a breakdown of what you normally eat now (and what you normally ate as a vegetarian) that would help.

In order for diet to affect you in only two weeks, it may be that you protein levels or overall calories are two low. If I were to guess, I would say you should add more beans and nuts to your diet.

A serious vitamin or mineral deficiency is unlikely after just two weeks, but if your diet was poor as a vegetarian, you could have low iron or a B-12 deficiency. For iron, the best prescription is lentils. Make sure you're taking B-12 through a supplement. Let us know if you don't like lentils, and we'll help you find another option.

http://veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs
Here are some daily recommendations for vitamins, etc.
marvande

Post by marvande »

Thank you I'll try that site out. I am already feeling a lot better so it probably was just a phase :)
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

That's good to hear. Maybe you caught a bug or something.

Please keep us updated, we're happy to help with any questions or problems.
guitaramole
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by guitaramole »

Are low energy levels usually a lack of calories too? If you change to a diet that is less energy dense, but still eat the same volume, I imagine a person could be unintentionally eating very low calorie diet.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

guitaramole wrote:Are low energy levels usually a lack of calories too? If you change to a diet that is less energy dense, but still eat the same volume, I imagine a person could be unintentionally eating very low calorie diet.
Yes, this can be a problem for new vegans. It's one way people who are used to eating a large volume and are overweight can benefit, but it cuts both ways.
guitaramole
Diet: Meat-Eater

Post by guitaramole »

Yeah, I definately have been reaping that benifit.