"Appeal to Nature Fallacy"

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Haterkid69

"Appeal to Nature Fallacy"

Post by Haterkid69 »

I was watching vegangains video once and what I think was the most stupidest points ever brought up was how "If a lion licks its balls, would you?" What does a lion licking its balls have to do with it eating meat?

That's like me asking "If a cow eats grass, would you?" Or "If a horse ate hay, would you?". I believe a better question would've been "If a lion ate its meat raw, would you?" Of course though different animals eat their meat differently. Like for example a wolf and those predator type animals kill their prey before eating. A baboon on the other hand eats it while it cries out in pain. I have a video but I'm mobile right now.
Last edited by Haterkid69 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarlBundren
Diet: Vegetarian

Re: "Appeal to Nature Fallacy"

Post by DarlBundren »

Tha naturalistic fallacy simply states that being natural doesn't make somethng ethically right. In respect to veganism, the fact that we can digest meat doesn't mean that it is the most moral thing to do, as the fact that we can rape someone doesn't mean that we should. We shouldn't derive an ought from an is, so to say. Therefore, the argument according to which we are allowed to eat meat because other animals do is not a valid one.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Haterkid69 wrote:I was watching vegangains video once and what I think was the most stupidest points ever brought up was how "If a lion licks its balls, would you?" What does a lion licking its balls have to do with it eating meat?
I believe what the person who said that meant was along the lines of "Eating meat is natural, and predators like Lions eat meat, but they also lick their balls. If you say eating meat is natural, would you also lick your balls, because that is natural?"

I agree that is a stupid argument. Cows don't eat meat, but they also pee on another cow without hesitation, and I wouldn't do that either. The Vegans here mostly have the view that eating meat is wrong because you have to kill an animal, and with the availability of food in the first world now, you don't have to rely on meat to survive.

Edited for spelling error.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
Haterkid69

Post by Haterkid69 »

Aaah, I see now. Still was a stupid comparison though.