what is wrong with freelee´s diet

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
kelly888
Diet: Vegetarian

what is wrong with freelee´s diet

Post by kelly888 »

Hello. i am a new member on this site. the unnatural vegan sent me here :D
so my question is what is wrong with freelee´s diet advice? many yt-rs have said that it is pseudoscience and i want to know. i dont want to be a blind believer,but i am not so good at research myself. i dont understand all those medical terms( english is not my first language). i personally think that the message of ´´eat all you want. force feed yourself atleast 2000+ calories every day´´ is not right. for 2 months i have been vegetarian, but i do not buy milk etc myself. i eat eggs,milk only when my family makes some food. like today my mom made porridge (i ususally make it) and she put milk in it. it would have been a waste if i did not eat. things like that. at first when i started i lost 4-5 kilos, but now i am in a slump. i am about 166 cm tall and weigh 69 kilos. i am slightly overweight and would like to lose 5 kilos. i have watched many freelee´s videos. she is entertaining and looks really skinny. i have started to eat a lot, but it is all healthy. in my family we do not eat out at all. we make all our food ourselves. recently i have started to cook also (usually my mom makes it all ). i am not really active especially in summer. i am 16 years old. in school i play volleyball 2-3 times a week. i spend a lot of my time on my phone and do not move much. recently i started to take walks. the problem is i am not losing weight. when school starts (1 september) i would like to look better. freelee says some good things too, like promoting fruit, whole foods. i know they are healthy, but what is the missing piece from weight loss? and i would like to know more about the wrong information freelee is promoting? for who i can look up to in yt for weight loss? i am not rich so i cant buy substituts, but i can cook myself (not hard recipes). so anyone who wants to help your opinion is appreciated :)
guitaramole
Diet: Meat-Eater

Re: what is wrong with freelee´s diet

Post by guitaramole »

Whats wrong with freelee is she promotes no calorie restriction. This only works for her because her body is burning a lot of calories from an incredible amount of exercise.

Weight loss is simply calories in, calories out. You can lose weight eating only Twinkies if you controlled how many calories you eat, but you would be hungry and miserable. A plant based diet makes weight loss easier because the food isn't as calorie dense, so you can eat more volume and be satisfied longer.

If you want to lose weight, the sure fire way is to measure all your food with a kitchen scale by the gram and use my fitness pal to track your calories. First you need to know how much your body burns, so you can eat 100-200 calories under that. You can find that out by googling TDEE calculator.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Freelee's pseudoscience is:

1. Freelee promotes the concept of "metabolic damage" from calorie restriction. That's bullshit.
2. Freelee also perpetuates the idea that nutrient density isn't important: that is also bullshit. HCLF dieters tend to be malnourished. You need nutrients, and fruits and rice have very few per calorie. We all need protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals to live. It's easy to get those all as a vegan by eating vegetables and beans, but not by eating fruit and rice: fruit mostly just has vitamins, and rice has almost nothing. Sugar is even worse, and is not a useful part of a weight loss diet.
3. Freelee recommends drinking huge amounts of water and eating no salt: that's bullshit, and it can even kill you. Salt is fine in moderation (3 - 6 grams of sodium a day is healthy).
4. Freelee is also against gluten and beans (and particularly mock meats and isolated protein), which are healthy foods as long as you're not a celiac or allergic. They seem to think all protein is evil, but plant proteins are shown to be healthy (only animal proteins are harmful).
5. Freelee thinks fat is evil and is the cause of weight gain. That's nonsense: any calories can cause weight gain, fat is not special. Many unsaturated fats are actually essential nutrients, too, which you need some of (or you'll get sick and die). Nuts are a great source, particularly walnuts.

Weight loss is about calories in vs. calories out. What you eat vs. what you burn through exercise and your base metabolic rate. If you don't get more exercise, you just have to eat fewer calories. If you measure carefully (with a scale) and understand how many calories you need, it's pretty simple.

Weight loss doesn't mean health, though. It's important to get good nutrition while losing weight, or you'll feel sick. Like guitarmole said, you could lose weight on a diet of twinkies, but you'd be miserable.

Veggies can help a lot to fill you up when you're hungry, and they provide a lot of nutrients to help keep you healthy while losing weight. Beans are great for providing nutrients and protein, which is also filling.

To lose weight, your diets should be centered mainly on vegetables and beans, with a couple handfuls of Omega 3 rich nuts a day (like walnuts).
Raw or cooked is fine for veggies, whatever you like. Beans should be cooked. For nuts, raw or cooked is fine (whatever you like). Salt and season them so they're delicious. Taking a multivitamin wouldn't be a bad idea. Make sure you're getting B-12.

If you can give a breakdown of what you're eating, we can try to offer you some more targeted advice.
kelly888

Post by kelly888 »

thank you two for helping, especially brimstonesalad you seem to be evrywhere :) and you give good long advice. the parts that i totally agree with is that you have to have some salt. when i go travelling i buy mineral water, what i usually do not, because it is expensive and i drink tap water. calories in calories out sounds logical too. well evrything sounds right. one thing i think metabolic damage is real. my logical thinking says it can be real, but i am no scientist and would like to know more about it.
i will give a short overview of my diet. it is summer now so i do not eat in a school cafeteria. this is my usual menu for a day.
i start my day with drinking water. actually i drink water all the time throughout the day. then i make some porridge (usually oats) with berries or if i am too lazy or my mum made food i will eat some sandwiches (whole wheat bread, tomato, cucumber,cabbage) or tacos. i go long periods without eating. it is summer so i am too lazy to get up from my bed so i will eat 3-4 hours after waking. i live in a suburb, but it is not like a city. we have a big house with lots of land. we grow strawberries, rasberries and other berries and apples in autumn, tomatoes, peas and potatoes.
now for lunch i have different foods. throughout the day i eat fruits: bananas, peaches or pears. i snack on fruits, dates and make some sandwiches. if i am so hungry that i need food or i have nothing better to do i make dinner/lunch. usually we eat rice with vegatables (frozen market ones- easier) a salad (tomatoes, cucumber, tomatoe and oil). some side dishes that we often do are curry onions and champignons. if i have sugar cravings i eat dates, fruits, sometimes dark chocolate, but rarely i eat some dairy choco. it usually happens when we have them around the house and we have no other sweets. i dont take any supplements/vitamins, but i also think i should. i rarely eat foods that are non-vegan. sometimes i eat porridge with milk, about 4 times a month at my friends house( usually some cakes) and when we grill i eat a little piece of meat( it happens 2-3 times in a year).
for sports, i walk my dog almost every day 1 km usually. i do some household work, but not much. if we have good weather, then i will do garden work or sunbath. when school starts i will get back to my usual mode. 2-3 times a week volleyball practise and 2 pe´s a week. also if i go to market, library etc i ride my bike (in my hometown).
this is my lifestyle now. what do you think about it? what needs to improve to lose some weight? i will soon buy some all-in-one vitamins and i will improve my cooking skills. my mum promised to buy me chick pea flour so i can make pancakes, omelettes soon :) i am especially happy about that.
thank you two for helping. big hugs for you. and brimstone i see you in almost every post, you are such a helpful person. we need more people like you in the world. and guitarmole i will never go on a twinkle diet, because i hate most sweets (i only seem to love chocolate ones) and we even do not have them here :) i think i will use cronometer soon. i have heard some great things about it.
for last thank you all for being such kind people :D
kelly888

Post by kelly888 »

also for lunch/dinner i eat pasta, potatoes, bean soups. yesterday i discovered that red lentils are so good on a sandwich, so easy to make too. a new staple for sure :)
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

kelly888 wrote:thank you two for helping, especially brimstonesalad you seem to be evrywhere :) and you give good long advice
You ain't seen nothing yet.

Brimstone can give far more informative answers than I can, but one thing I would like to stress is not to rely on 'logical thinking' when considering claims in STEM fields, or even economics. The right answer is very often counter-intuitive, which is why we rely on the scientific method wherever we can, rather than just trying to think our way out of a problem. If you like, I could give some examples. A good one is this math problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

kelly888 wrote:one thing i think metabolic damage is real. my logical thinking says it can be real, but i am no scientist and would like to know more about it.
Like what miniboes said above, you can't just use logic to determine empirical facts.
There may be some moderate epigenetic contributions to metabolic rate, but "metabolic damage" as it's presented is a fabrication. Epigenetics are hard to change, and you may have even inherited them from your prenatal days. That doesn't change the fact of calories in and calories out.

When you eat fewer calories than you burn, your resting metabolism is reduced a little -- this is not damage, it's just conservation. You still lose weight, you just lose less weight, it can't cause you to gain weight. It only lasts a few days, and as you eat more again your metabolism picks right back up again.

An abnormal cycle of starvation and bingeing may be able to create a state where your metabolism will go crazy and you will store more fat. But again, that only lasts as long as the behavior does, and you will still lose weight during that time if your total calories in are less than total calories out (with respect to the depressed metabolic rate).
As soon as you adopt a normal eating pattern, your metabolism will spring right back into shape. There's no evidence of long term damage from calorie restriction. Freelee's claims that it takes years for your body to fix the damage, and getting fat is just part of the process, are bogus.

kelly888 wrote:i will give a short overview of my diet. it is summer now so i do not eat in a school cafeteria. this is my usual menu for a day.
Oats and peas are good, those have some protein in them. Rice is not. Fruit is OK in moderation, but it's high in sugar and low in protein, so you shouldn't eat too much of it.
Overall, your diet needs to include more vegan protein sources like beans and nuts, and non-rice whole grains. You may want to try quinoa as a rice alternative if you don't like to eat wheat, but whole wheat pasta or bread is a good option.

If you sign up to cronometer, you can input your diet, and post the results here. My guess is you will find your protein consumption is very low, which is a problem for nutrient intake and satiation. Low protein levels make you hungry, and result in low nutrition which isn't good (it means you'll be hungry and eat too many calories).
High protein levels mean satisfaction from your food and good nutrition without too many calories. Beans and veggies are the healthiest sources of protein.
kelly888 wrote:i dont take any supplements/vitamins, but i also think i should.
The brand DEVA makes a fairly popular vegan multivitamin.
https://www.amazon.com/Deva-Vegan-Vitamins-Multivitamin-Supplement/dp/B001GAOHVG

kelly888 wrote:my mum promised to buy me chick pea flour so i can make pancakes, omelettes soon :) i am especially happy about that.
That's great! Chickpea flour can be very bitter if you don't cook it long enough. If it's bitter, just remember it needs to cook longer (the bitterness will mostly go away). Be sure to use a low temperature when cooking so you don't burn them before they're cooked to the middle.

Chickpea pancakes tend also to be very dry, so you may want to eat them with soup.
aprilynnd

Post by aprilynnd »

I don't support or follow Freelee's diet or lifestyle suggestions but I would like to address some comments that have been made about "metabolic damage". There are many terms for metabolic damage (MD) - metabolic adaption is favored in the literature - but I'd like to clarify what I mean by metabolic damage. I'm defining MD as a down regulation of energy use/expenditure due to inadequate calorie consumption that persists beyond the restriction period. It appears that brimstoneSalad is fairly knowledgable, and based on some comments in this thread, well known, so I will address some of their specific points.
brimstoneSalad wrote: There may be some moderate epigenetic contributions to metabolic rate, but "metabolic damage" as it's presented is a fabrication. Epigenetics are hard to change, and you may have even inherited them from your prenatal days. That doesn't change the fact of calories in and calories out.
I take issue with the comment that "epigenetics are hard to change". Epigenetic is a field of study focusing on how gene expression can be modified by environmental factors. Dr. Campbell (and associates) was able to affect cancer development (gene expression) in the course of research studies by modifying protein intake. This certainly doesn't suggest that it is difficult to affect gene expression through diet in a relatively short period of time. I haven't learned much about the link between metabolic adaptation and epigenetic changes so I'd be interested in any references you may have. However, we do know metabolic adaptation occurs quickly - we learned in school that a 15% reduction can be seen within 2 weeks of a calorie restricted diet. If indeed epigenetic changes are hard to produce, they are likely not involved in down regulation of metabolism. (I'm apologize for not having a reference for that - I resold the textbook).
brimstoneSalad wrote: When you eat fewer calories than you burn, your resting metabolism is reduced a little -- this is not damage, it's just conservation. You still lose weight, you just lose less weight, it can't cause you to gain weight. It only lasts a few days, and as you eat more again your metabolism picks right back up again.

An abnormal cycle of starvation and bingeing may be able to create a state where your metabolism will go crazy and you will store more fat. But again, that only lasts as long as the behavior does, and you will still lose weight during that time if your total calories in are less than total calories out (with respect to the depressed metabolic rate).
As soon as you adopt a normal eating pattern, your metabolism will spring right back into shape. There's no evidence of long term damage from calorie restriction. Freelee's claims that it takes years for your body to fix the damage, and getting fat is just part of the process, are bogus.
This is the main part that I really disagree with. I have personally experienced the exact phenomenon described by Freelee - long before I was ever vegan (I was eating Paleo actually) - but I won't rely on an anecdote to prove my point. There is evidence that RMR can be down regulated in the long term. A study titled Persistent Metabolic Adapation 6 Years After "The Biggest Loser" Competition (1) found that 6 years after the competition contestants RMR was ~500kcal less than anticipated. I realize that this is an extreme case but it does lend credence to the idea of MD (even if researchers refuse to call it that). I don't believe your metabolism rebounds as quickly as you've suggested - especially if the calorie restriction is severe/long term. If it doesn't rebound and you resume eating your normal diet (the one you were previously maintaining your weight with) it will cause weight gain.

1. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 21538/epdf
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

aprilynnd wrote:There are many terms for metabolic damage (MD) - metabolic adaption is favored in the literature - but I'd like to clarify what I mean by metabolic damage. I'm defining MD as a down regulation of energy use/expenditure due to inadequate calorie consumption that persists beyond the restriction period.
How far beyond the restriction period?
The longer you stretch it, the less credible it becomes.

Humans are highly adaptive. If it were beneficial to have a low metabolism, we would just have low metabolisms, period. It's beneficial for our metabolisms to suit our behaviors and diets, and the faster that adjustment happens, the more evolutionarily advantageous it is -- to a limit. The only exception being brief forays which have a low probability of indicating an actual change in circumstance has occurred.

Such responses are pretty easily explained or understood by alteration of programmed cell behavior by circulating chemical signals.
aprilynnd wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote: There may be some moderate epigenetic contributions to metabolic rate, but "metabolic damage" as it's presented is a fabrication. Epigenetics are hard to change, and you may have even inherited them from your prenatal days. That doesn't change the fact of calories in and calories out.
I take issue with the comment that "epigenetics are hard to change". Epigenetic is a field of study focusing on how gene expression can be modified by environmental factors.
Technically gene expression could be said to be altered by hormones too, but we don't broadly consider that 'epigenetic': at that point, you could throw almost anything into the epigenetic sack. How about a suntan? Gene expression for melanin production is stronger due to UV exposure? Anything and everything a cell does in terms of changing behavior could be argued to be varying gene expression in some sense.

You're expanding the term to account for things far beyond the well accepted range. I fear it has become a popular buzz word like quantum or nano, and that's a red flag for pseudoscience. It creates a plausible sounding explanation which makes people think what you're saying is sciencey, but without evidence, that's all it is: plausible sounding.

I'm just going to quote Wikipedia and leave it at that: if you disagree, let's chalk it up to semantics (but I think you're using the term too broadly, and if I saw claims like you're making on a website alarm bells would be ringing telling me to beware of pseudoscience)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics
In the science of genetics, epigenetics is the study of cellular and physiological phenotypic trait variations that result from external or environmental factors that switch genes on and off and affect how cells express genes.[1][2] Hence, epigenetic research seeks to describe dynamic alterations in the transcriptional potential of a cell. These alterations may or may not be heritable, although the use of the term epigenetic to describe processes that are not heritable is controversial.[3] Unlike genetics based on changes to the DNA sequence (the genotype), the changes in gene expression or cellular phenotype of epigenetics have other causes, thus use of the prefix epi- (Greek: επί- over, outside of, around).[4][5]
aprilynnd wrote:Dr. Campbell (and associates) was able to affect cancer development (gene expression) in the course of research studies by modifying protein intake.
Was it heritable to the cell line's descendants? Did he modify it for a few days, then return it to normal, and the cancer kept withering away due to epigenetic metabolic damage?

As I understand it, cancer springs right back into action as soon as you change the environment. It's basically a lack of food, so it doesn't grow as fast. Everything is arguably gene expression. Be wary of the science-sounding buzzwords. Nothing in that example is relevant to the so called "metabolic damage" I was criticizing.
aprilynnd wrote:I haven't learned much about the link between metabolic adaptation and epigenetic changes so I'd be interested in any references you may have.
I haven't learned very much about the Reptilian overlords who control the world government either. ;)
Sometimes there's a paucity of credible information about something because it's a myth. I'm not out to prove a negative here.

If there were legitimate evidence of epigenetic metabolic adaptation, I'd be all over that. But again, credibly referenced, such adaptations usually refer to heritable changes -- long term, across many generations. Other uses of the word would be dubious. It's those changes I mentioned as difficult to affect. They're usually things that become "hardware", and can't be changed quickly due to major physiological differences, like cellular differentiation.
aprilynnd wrote:However, we do know metabolic adaptation occurs quickly - we learned in school that a 15% reduction can be seen within 2 weeks of a calorie restricted diet.
Right. Not epigenetic proper. And it's fast, like I said. It's probably all based on circulating hormones. Long term metabolic damage is a myth. It's evolutionarily prudent to adapt quickly to the environment, and there are no structural issues getting in the way of that.
aprilynnd wrote:If indeed epigenetic changes are hard to produce, they are likely not involved in down regulation of metabolism. (I'm apologize for not having a reference for that - I resold the textbook).
There may be some limited evidence of actual epigenetic factors that are multi-generational. This is a matter of ongoing research. You might as well call them genetic as far you have any control over them. These are extensive cellular and structural differences. Your behavior and fitness could affect your children. And they're mostly stuck with it as you are with the choices your mother made before you were born.

The future of your children is a good reason to get fit, perhaps, but aside from that it's not a meaningful health message for most people because it's just depressing to think you're screwed (or at least unfairly disadvantaged) because your parents were fat and lazy.

aprilynnd wrote:This is the main part that I really disagree with. I have personally experienced the exact phenomenon described by Freelee - long before I was ever vegan (I was eating Paleo actually) - but I won't rely on an anecdote to prove my point.
OK, well, you understand that's not evidence...
aprilynnd wrote:There is evidence that RMR can be down regulated in the long term. A study titled Persistent Metabolic Adapation 6 Years After "The Biggest Loser" Competition (1) found that 6 years after the competition contestants RMR was ~500kcal less than anticipated.
Let's look at that study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.21538/full

Obviously a study with 14 participants is already a little weak, but with those margins of errors and confounding variables, this is ridiculous.

This is a pretty good criticism: http://www.leighpeele.com/a-response-to-the-ny-times-biggest-loser-study

Before the show measurements:
Returning to the study, we see energy assessments taken during a time of rest and weight stabilization before the show. It’s even possible before the show a “stuffing of the pot” occurred with some of the contestants. Contestants have admitted to drinking excessive water and eating more before the contest and then dehydrating aggressively afterward.
That's a huge confounding variable which would make their normal RMR appear much higher, when genetically (or even due to actual epigenetics) these participants had a naturally lower RMR.

In terms of the followup, I also noticed this by just looking at figure 1:
Were They Weight Stable At Time of Follow-Up Readings?

Readings in the study were showing the subjects were not weight stable at the time of their final RMR readings. Activity expenditure was up and intake down. Were they doing this to look better for the study? To save face? Did they simply think they should? It wasn’t controlled.
You can clearly see a downward trend in figure 1, and they seem to be exhibiting abnormal behavior: mere awareness of their weights and caloric intake could do this.

The bottom line is that not only was this a small study, the controls were terrible. There actually have been controlled studies on this issue and they have not shown such an effect. To prefer weak conclusions of a poorly done study with a small sample and few controls (and glaring confounding variables) to more credible studies to the effect of saying there's evidence for something is a bad case of cherry picking.
Do More Controlled Studies Show The Same?

I like studies that control for variables as any good research enthusiast should. This 2008 study [http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/4/906.full] shows the decrease in RMR was pretty insignificant but the decrease in daily energy expenditure was much more notable. In general, we see in research what slows down more is not resting metabolic rate (RMR), but our activity levels. Could those contestants have ramped up their activity at the time of testing? We don’t know. It wasn’t controlled. To me, while it is an interesting free-living experiment to chew on, it is not the smoking gun which says an RMR decrease is the reason we have a hard time keeping weight off once it is lost or losing it in the first place.
I would also echo the conclusions of that criticism:
5. Mindset Matters

Your expectation is crucial in the role of fat loss. More often than not fat loss is seen as no different than hoping to win the lottery – and it shouldn’t be. Fat loss should be a mostly predictable process when you understand what you’re putting in (be it food, drugs, or drink) and putting out. The rest is trying to adhere to the process long enough to get results, which is easier said than done. For most people the road to fat loss is going to be a long and patient travel. Barring rare circumstance and situations (like the Biggest Loser) we are not in a fat loss boot camp with every focus to our need. We are in the real world with work, kids, distraction, procrastination, and more emotions than we know how to handle.

If you don’t believe in the process or think the process is untrustworthy, you’re not going to commit. The process does work. You will not be broken by the end of it.
If we're going to make claims about "metabolic damage", we had better be damned sure of them. If there's even a chance it's wrong, we should shut up about it due to the harm incorrect information can have: these kinds of argument can scare people away from necessary weight loss and calorie restriction. If you're afraid of damaging your metabolism and getting fatter, you might just think that's an excuse to give up.

See my post here, where I debunk a similarly harmful myth: http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2238&p=23703#p23703
enjinear

Post by enjinear »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Freelee's pseudoscience is: [...]

You are correct on basically everything here. I had fallen victim to the Rawtill4 nonsense for a while. I would note one thing, you wrote that 3-6 grams of salt is healthy. That amounts to just under 2400 mg of sodium, a teaspoon of salt. That is within the tolerable upper limit, but I would note that it is 2400 mg of sodium total, meaning that if you only ate that teaspoon you'd be fine. The thing is that even healthy, whole foods contain sodium, and healthier processed vegan foods also contain some. This is why Dr. Greger and some other vegan nutritionists recommend not using table salt in cooking and flavoring food. Salt is to be used very sparingly. I think that excess sodium intake is not doing as much damage as animal products by a long shot, but for optimal health you don't want it to go over the tolerable upper limit. So about 2400 mg of sodium, not salt. Athletes in high heat or prolonged exercise periods might need more, but not by too much. The human body is really good at preserving salt.