I've been a Vegan/Vegetarian for about 8 months now, and am having severe meat craving again, I need help.

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
JunkFoodAddict
Diet: Vegetarian

I've been a Vegan/Vegetarian for about 8 months now, and am having severe meat craving again, I need help.

Post by JunkFoodAddict »

Hello,

about 8 months ago, I decided to go Vegetarian, and later, mostly Vegan. Prior to that, I had spent alot of my life eating junkfood. Burgers, fries, Pizza, you name it, I ate it. I was genuinely addicted, a full stomach would not stop me from continuing to eat, and often I would have severe pains because of that.

My current problem, is that I live in the middle east, and I cannot really find any mock meats. This wasn't too much of an issue, until I recently travelled to Amsterdam and had a vegan burger that tasted like real meat. It made me want to eat something similar again. I can't make my own mock meats because my parents don't want to cook a separate meal for me, as the rest of the family usually eat meat based dishes. They also do not let me use the kitchen, so that's out of the picture for me.

Eating whole foods, does not give me the same satisfaction that eating a burger did. I only slightly like the food I eat, but I don't really have another choice. I mostly eat a legume heavy diet, with a lot of whole grains and few vegetables (I've not found many I like. Bad experiences as a kid haven't helped.) and fruit. Occasionally I eat cheese, hence the "mostly vegan" bit.

I did take a blood test a month ago, my vitamin D levels were the only things that were low.

I honestly don't want to give this lifestyle up, but I am severely missing my old favourite foods, and need help please.

Thank you so much, have a good day.
JunkFoodAddict

Re: I've been a Vegan/Vegetarian for about 8 months now, and am having severe meat craving again, I need help.

Post by JunkFoodAddict »

Apologies, I made a typo in the title.

cravings again*
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: I've been a Vegan/Vegetarian for about 8 months now, and am having severe meat craving again, I need help.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your parents. Why won't they allow you use the kitchen?

Maybe you can talk to them about it. Are your parents strongly religious?
JunkFoodAddict

Post by JunkFoodAddict »

My father no longer really cares, I forgot to mention that. It's my mother that does not want me in the kitchen, I honestly do not know why. She's always been restrictive with things. it's just one of those things I don't usually question.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

JunkFoodAddict wrote:My father no longer really cares, I forgot to mention that. It's my mother that does not want me in the kitchen, I honestly do not know why. She's always been restrictive with things. it's just one of those things I don't usually question.
You should talk to her about it. Tell her you are interested in learning how to cook, and ask her to please teach you. Maybe she's worried you'll start a fire or something silly, but if she teaches you and sees you are responsible that could be resolved.
user_id

Post by user_id »

There isn't much you can do, if you can't cook in your house than you're going to have to eat what is prepared.