do shrimps suffer?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
eloine
Diet: Vegan

do shrimps suffer?

Post by eloine »

and so as a vegan can we or can we not eat them?
and what about oysters?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: do shrimps suffer?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Oysters are probably not sentient. The main reason to believe that is because they are not motile: they do not run away from predators, so they have no evolutionary need for a brain (and they lack a proper brain, only having primitive ganglia).

A vegan who eats oysters is called an ostrovegan, or bivalvegan.

This fellow eats oysters: http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2127
You may also enjoy this article: https://sentientist.org/2013/05/20/the-ethical-case-for-eating-oysters-and-mussels/

Shrimp have simple brains, but are motile and respond to negative stimuli by swimming or running from a threat, and that takes some measure of intelligence (compared to just closing when touched, which can be done by reflex). They probably possess rudimentary consciousness and sentience. They are not as intelligent as a cat, chicken, dog, cow, pig, or human... but they are probably intelligent enough that we shouldn't go out of our ways to eat them.

Unlike oysters, catching and farming shrimp is more environmentally destructive.

Rope grown oysters are the only farmed animal product I know of that probably actually benefits the environment instead of damaging it.
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

There are a lot of negative humanitarian problems with shrimp as well. There is modern day slave labor used to harvest and shell a large portion of shrimp that are sold as frozen. I won't link any articles here, but if you look for them I warn you, they are very sad.
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
eloine

Post by eloine »

So it is possible as Vegan to eat oysters??? but I am not sure I could because oysters remind me glanders...
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote:So it is possible as Vegan to eat oysters???
If you want to. This is usually considered a different type of vegan, so people aren't confused.

Oysters are more controversial. Some vegans say it's fine, some say it's wrong. The ones that say it's wrong don't have a lot of evidence, so I think it's fine unless we find some new evidence to show there's a problem.
eloine wrote:but I am not sure I could because oysters remind me glanders...
I wouldn't eat them. The same reason I won't eat worms. :D

But I won't say that somebody who eats them is doing something wrong. I don't think they're healthy (they contain heme iron, for example, which may cause cancer), but some vegans eat a lot of junk food or smoke too, so... veganism isn't just about health. It's mainly about having a belief in making the world a better place by not harming others.
eloine

Post by eloine »

yes but I read they contains zinc!! (and it's important to eat enough zinc on a vegan diet because of the risk of too much cadmium
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/cadmium
and they also contain some EPA and DHA and lot of vitamin B12
But I don't think I could eat them anyway
eloine

Post by eloine »

But I think health is important for vegans because we must prove to carnist that it's the healthiest choice
eloine

Post by eloine »

most carnists always try to find a reason to prove you that being vegan is unhealthy so that's why I think I must prove that it is the healthiest choice that gonna make you more intelligent, more healthy, make you live longer and stay young longer too.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

eloine wrote:yes but I read they contains zinc!! (and it's important to eat enough zinc on a vegan diet because of the risk of too much cadmium
http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/cadmium
Yes, but shellfish also apparently contain a lot of cadmium. In nature, these will frequently occur together because they are chemically similar.

Norris cites a study that says Zinc-gluconate form had the least cadmium. So, this may be the safest Zinc supplement.
eloine wrote:most carnists always try to find a reason to prove you that being vegan is unhealthy so that's why I think I must prove that it is the healthiest choice that gonna make you more intelligent, more healthy, make you live longer and stay young longer too.
I agree.

I think a vegan should just try oysters if they have some trouble eating vegan without oysters. I don't think it's the ideal choice.
user_id

Post by user_id »

Attributing the ability to suffer to shrimp is a matter of magic, their brains are far too simple for the informational processing required for the experience of pain (e.g., to suffer). Oysters don't even have a brain so the implication that they may be able to suffer is equivalent to suggesting plants can.