A-bas-la-ciel VS. Durianrider

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
AlexanderVeganTheist
Diet: Vegan

A-bas-la-ciel VS. Durianrider

Post by AlexanderVeganTheist »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIyXMSFdkKA

So, Eisel Mazard a.k.a. A-bas-la-ciel is planning to file a defamation lawsuit against Harley Johnstone a.k.a. Durianrider... He's asking for donations for his lawsuit. Is this a cause you would consider supporting?

There are people saying the whole thing is sketchy, and I agree that in his last two videos some crucial information, such as which lawyers he has contacted, is left out. The longer video explaining the situation is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q-Hif0l11Y
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: A-bas-la-ciel VS. Durianrider

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I tend to doubt that something like this is effective altruism, but I hope he has success: Durianrider is probably pretty bad for veganism, and without his negative influence Freelee will probably be a better activist, and may start being more reasonable.
AlexanderVeganTheist

The discussions in the YT comments are actually pretty interesting, believe it or not. The question is whether ABLC has a case at all or if he blew up a personal insult from DR towards him into a libel case. Some tinfoil hatters are going: a-bas-le-ciel is an anagram of "a libel case" lel. I've followed ABLC channel for a while now, and definitely think he is sincere. But I do see how people could naively paranoid see it as a get rich quick scheme.

The more I get to know about Durianrider, the more I find he is unethical in some of his dealings, however in terms of number of people DR and Freelee can reach, and at least get veganism on the radar, they are unparalleled in the vegan online community. I don't think it really matters if their particular style and diet are not optimal, they at least reach a lot of people, and the people who have their interest piqued will soon enough find out they're not the end-all, be-all of veganism. So while you have said you would not mind DR and Freelee to quit veganism, this would probably not be a good thing, simply based on the numbers of subscribers they have.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

AlexanderVeganTheist wrote:So while you have said you would not mind DR and Freelee to quit veganism, this would probably not be a good thing, simply based on the numbers of subscribers they have.
I said if DR goes to jail or gets off youtube and away from Freelee, she may become a better activist.

I don't think Freelee is on the hook for anything. DR has not reached anywhere near the number Freelee has (although I would argue she is doing it wrong, and most of her converts probably quit for health reasons).
AlexanderVeganTheist

You have said it in another thread though. But it doesn't matter.
In this situation with ABLC, it is really interesting how fast people have given money, over 6,5k$ for his 'lawsuit', based on a 43 minute video. His appeal to "someone has to draw a line in the sand" when it comes to durianrider threatening violence has proven itself successful. Many people want to see DR taken down apparently. But Eisel is not very transparent about his paypal donations and still uploading other videos.
All in all, the lack of ethics in the youtube comments is quite shocking.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

^Yeah, I'm glad he raised so much money.

I'm a bit disappointed that he's apparently not going to be so active on YouTube soon. I just started watching his videos and they're pretty interesting.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx