Paris exemption

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
PrincessPeach
Diet: Vegan

Re: Paris exemption

Post by PrincessPeach »

Very interesting replies brimstone and I was thinking about sugar in the back of mind, I would want to know the difference between consuming refined sugars and natural sugars....?
Refined sugar really is the first drug we are introduced to not pot!
Fast food's really are the worst they've got the meat, dairy, potatoes, white bread, sugary soda, oh and the typical American's vegetable serving for the day the lettuce, tomato and onion that most usually take off anyways!.. They get you addicted to it all huh?
The term 'junk food' is too broad.
I just made strawberry cupcakes (vegan duh) and I can say that I am guilty of feeling pleasure when eating them & the desire to want to eat more after eating one~ I do believe it is the 1lb (almost) of powdered sugar I used to make the frosting that makes me happy not the fat content!...
So is it right if I were to say junk food's that contain refined sugars would be a physical/mental addiction but not junk food's that are just high in fat or salt & contain no refined sugar..?
I think I've wrapped my head around the basic concept of what bioaccumulation is... I have not looked into how fat cell's store and release toxin's although I have figure out the basic concept ~ Excretion, storage, and metabolism.... Now that I've figured this part out where do I go from here? :arrow:
Don't be a waste of molecules
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Paris exemption

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote:Very interesting replies brimstone and I was thinking about sugar in the back of mind, I would want to know the difference between consuming refined sugars and natural sugars....?
Sometimes there's a big difference, sometimes not as much.

The main thing is that refined sugars don't have anything else in them- like fiber.
When sugar is in the form of fruit, it has a major content of water and fiber, which can dilute the effects a little.

Although some fruits (modern apples and pears for example) are in my opinion made too sweet through human cultivation.
Some pears (particularly Asian varieties) are just barely sweet at all, wild apples are crabapples (the apples you think of normally are freakish mutants). You can also compare plantains to modern cultivated bananas, etc.

PrincessPeach wrote:Refined sugar really is the first drug we are introduced to not pot!
And more addictive than pot too. :shock:

Potatoes actually aren't too bad.
IF you don't fry them and dip them in salty corn syrup sauce (ketchup), or cover them in butter, sour cream, and bacοn that is...

They're a fine staple, but definitely not a replacement for green and colorful veggies.
PrincessPeach wrote:So is it right if I were to say junk food's that contain refined sugars would be a physical/mental addiction but not junk food's that are just high in fat or salt & contain no refined sugar..?
I think both have the potential to be addictive. The issue is the extreme profile of the foods- way more sugar than normal, way more fat/salt than normal, etc.

But research on this stuff is still ongoing. IMO, as long as it's good fat, and in a reasonably healthy ratio to other things, it's not a problem even if you're addicted to it- is there anything wrong with being addicted to something healthy?

I don't believe that any "junk foods" are addictive if you just eat them once in a while, or eat them in very small amounts, and you don't make them a regular part of your diet.
Kind of how you won't get hooked on cigarettes by taking just one drag; it has to reach a certain critical level to become addiction.

I just try to only eat sustainable healthy foods regularly, and only eat junk food on very rare occasions, or in very small amounts WITH healthy food, so the whole meal is sustainably healthy.

PrincessPeach wrote:I think I've wrapped my head around the basic concept of what bioaccumulation is... I have not looked into how fat cell's store and release toxin's although I have figure out the basic concept ~ Excretion, storage, and metabolism.... Now that I've figured this part out where do I go from here? :arrow:
Well, storage in fat will happen if the toxicant is fat soluble- that's easy to check.

Otherwise, it will tend to build up in organs (unless the body can remove it).

Release from organs usually just doesn't happen (or happens incredibly slowly). If you have heavy metal build up, there are some kinds of heavy metal chelation therapies, which are chemicals which bind to the heavy metals and help them leave your body, that can help (contact a doctor for that, alternative chelation therapies are not reliable, it usually needs to be IV).

Some kinds of things just can not be removed at all.

Release from fat only happens when you're "burning fat" as they say- that is, your body is burning more, faster than your intake rate of dietary calories.
That's when the stored toxicants are released (which can make unhealthy people feel even worse after they work out), and also when the fat cells release a kind of alarm hormone that is interpreted as "You're starving!"- but that's a lie. It just means you're losing weight.
Unfortunately, the body has no way to tell the difference between getting plenty of nutrition and just losing weight (excess weight), and actually being in a state of true starvation. Our bodies are unfortunately very stupid like that, and give us bad information all of the time. We have to learn to understand it in context.

We can work to ignore those "starvation" signals, although the fatter somebody is, and the less they've felt it in the past (to be desensitized to it), the worse they will be. Sometimes they're irresistible with inadequate will power, and lead to binge eating. That can always be conquered by adequate will power, though- enough motivation to know what you want and why, and control the feelings that you need to eat (focusing on the fact that those feelings are a'lie' told by 'greedy' fat cells).

The release of toxicants, on the other hand- that's a more difficult problem. Either a person needs to lose weight very slowly (so the kidneys and liver can work hard to remove that stuff now that it has fewer places to hide, and not overburden them), or they're going to suffer a lot (and it can potentially be lethal in some extreme cases, with serious toxicants).
Dialysis might be an option for some people; a person would have to go to see a doctor and get a blood test if weight loss was making them seriously sick. Liposuction seems to make more sense in severe cases, though.
Despite the risks, it might be healthier. I wouldn't want decades of toxicants that built up flowing through my veins over a few months of trying to lose weight, and putting all of that stress on liver and kidneys.