Omega 3 to 6 ratio dilemma

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Omega 3 to 6 ratio dilemma

Post by Jebus »

I recently started paying more attention to my Omega 3:6 ratio after learning that too much Omega 6 vs. Omega 3 (along with lack of B12) basically cancels out the other dietary vegan advantages with regards to heart disease.

The problem I have found is that most of my favourite protein rich foods, such as nuts and pumpkin seeds, come along with a weak Omega 3:6 ratio. Is there any way of resolving this dilemma other than multiplying my flax seed intake?
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
AlexanderVeganTheist

Re: Omega 3 to 6 ratio dilemma

Post by AlexanderVeganTheist »

I believe up to a 4:1 ratio for omega 6:3 is good. So nuts and seeds are still going to be good usually, if I'm not mistaken the majority of omega 6 intake comes from using oils. I use broken linseed in smoothies for more omega 3, and have recently abstained from using oils in cooking.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Your other option (to eating more 3 and less 6) is taking supplemental DHA derived from algae, which short circuits the whole conversion issue that is the problem with too much Omega 6. Supplemental EPA may be an option too, but I think based on weaker evidence.

There are nuts and seeds with better ratios, though: Walnuts, Hemp, Chia, and as you mentioned flax. I mostly eat those nuts and seeds, with more moderate intake of others.

Canola oil is also a good source of Omega 3.
Mr. 95/5

Post by Mr. 95/5 »

Avoid oils, and consider oysters and mussels which have a great ratio.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Mr. 95/5 wrote:Avoid oils, and consider oysters and mussels which have a great ratio.
Just for reference, I addressed this in this thread here: http://philosophicalvegan.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=801&start=20#p22078

They may have a good 3:6 ratio, but they have a high saturated fat ratio 1:1 for omega 3 to saturated, and a low overall amount of fat which makes them a rather poor source of Omega 3. You'd have to eat a huge amount of them daily to rely on them as a source of EFAs, and there are other reasons not to eat them (heme iron, high methionine, cholesterol).
Better to get Omega 3 from nuts, seeds, or the healthier oils like canola, which are richer sources of good fats so you don't have to eat a huge amount of them, and the former come with fiber and other phytonutrients.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

I found this comparison of omega 3 content in plant oils interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3_fatty_acid#Plant_sources

Sadly, canola is probably the only one of these that you can actually use for cooking purposes. A salad with walnuts and flax seed oil might be quite a good way of upping your omega 3 intake.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote:Sadly, canola is probably the only one of these that you can actually use for cooking purposes. A salad with walnuts and flax seed oil might be quite a good way of upping your omega 3 intake.
It's probably not even a good idea to cook with canola, at least at high temperatures. If you need to fry, try to do it with monounsaturated fats if you can, like olive oil or high oleic oil varieties of sunflower or safflower (not all of them are). Canola oil is better for baking where there's less oxygen exposure and lower temperatures, or making sauces and such.

I don't know how credible this is, but it looks like a pretty good diagram:

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchi ... 0215-1.png

The diagram could be improved by breaking down the polyunsaturated fatty acids into the EFAs by percentage (it tells you nothing about 3:6 ratio).
Of course, for an oil like high oleic sunflower oil, the ratio doesn't matter since it contains so little polyunsaturated fat.
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

What is actually the risk of cooking with canola, then? I've been stir frying my stuff in canola oil for quite some time now, and never had any noticable issues. According to the package the smoke point is 210 degrees celcius (410 degrees fahrenheit). Isn't that high enough for any normal use?
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote:What is actually the risk of cooking with canola, then? I've been stir frying my stuff in canola oil for quite some time now, and never had any noticable issues. According to the package the smoke point is 210 degrees celcius (410 degrees fahrenheit). Isn't that high enough for any normal use?
Smoke point is different from degradation of the fatty acids, which is invisible. PUFAs degrade easily, oxidizing with the heat and become unhealthy rather than healthy (although it's not clear how serious this risk is, or its exact effects).
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

brimstoneSalad wrote:There are nuts and seeds with better ratios, though: Walnuts, Hemp, Chia, and as you mentioned flax. I mostly eat those nuts and seeds, with more moderate intake of other.
Agree except that walnuts are slightly on the wrong side of the 4:1 ratio, and the fact that they are so high in both 3 and 6 need to be considered.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.