questions about vegan diet and diabetes.

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
wfatheist
Diet: Meat-Eater

questions about vegan diet and diabetes.

Post by wfatheist »

Hey I haven't been on in a really long time. The last time I was on I believe I was still working on becoming vegan. I successfully turned vegan for roughly 5 months, but I started getting really sick and not feeling well. I was eventually diagnosed with diabetes. I have never been diabetic before so it was something new and I was ordered by my doctor to go on the "Diabetic diet"

It's been almost a month now and my blood sugar is finally under control. (When I went to the hospital my blood sugar was at 378) I've googled a vegan diabetic diet and there were lots of hits, however it doesn't seem any different from your standard vegan diet.

Is there any vegan diabetics on here that successfully control their blood sugar? If so could you please direct me to any information I can look up to find the best vegan diabetic diet?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: questions about vegan diet and diabetes.

Post by brimstoneSalad »

wfatheist wrote:I was eventually diagnosed with diabetes. I have never been diabetic before so it was something new and I was ordered by my doctor to go on the "Diabetic diet"
I'm sorry to hear that. What's your BMI?
Is it type two?
wfatheist wrote:It's been almost a month now and my blood sugar is finally under control. (When I went to the hospital my blood sugar was at 378) I've googled a vegan diabetic diet and there were lots of hits, however it doesn't seem any different from your standard vegan diet.
Unfortunately there's a lot of advocacy of "HCLF" or "high carb low fat" out there, which is probably not helpful for you.
You may want to look into "eco atkins". Lots of plant based protein like tofu and mock meats, and vegetables.

The same tips for managing diabetes for any diet should apply to a vegan diet as well, just substituting in vegan protein sources for meats and dairy.
Minos
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by Minos »

I'm surely not an expert and can't give any advice. But this video (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to- ... s/#sources) can be a good starting point to get information you need. Well not the video itself, as it doesn't contain any diet related information, but sources it's based on.

Hope you find a way to get better.
wfatheist

Post by wfatheist »

Thanks Mini and Brim. I have no idea what my BMI is but it would read somewhere along the lines of holy sh** and Fat F**k. It is type 2 diabetes. The problem I was running into was that a lot of the plants (especially the ones I love to eat.) have high carbs and protein. I get kind of sick every time I eat meat now so my diet hasn't been going well at all.
wfatheist

Post by wfatheist »

I looked up the "Eco Atkins" diet you suggested Brim and I'm going to see if I can follow that one since it has a vegan friendly version. Thanks so much for the info.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Post by brimstoneSalad »

wfatheist wrote:Thanks Mini and Brim. I have no idea what my BMI is but it would read somewhere along the lines of holy sh** and Fat F**k. It is type 2 diabetes.
OK, the main issue is probably that you just need to lose weight. Exercise + a low calorie diet should do it.
wfatheist wrote: I looked up the "Eco Atkins" diet you suggested Brim and I'm going to see if I can follow that one since it has a vegan friendly version. Thanks so much for the info.
No problem. That may be your best bet for weight loss, and managing your insulin dependence in the meantime by leveling off your blood sugar. And unlike animal product based Atkins, it's not a heart attack recipe.

Not all carbs are evil, just be aware of the GI:
http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitnes ... betes.html

If you don't like ketosis, or it makes you feel too bad to keep up (ketosis is what causes weight loss on an Eco Atkins diet), then try to aim for a limited amount of total carbs, make sure they're low GI, and work to cap your calorie consumption and exercise as much as you can (low impact, like swimming).