Vegan/Vegetarian Club

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
_Doc
Diet: Vegan

Vegan/Vegetarian Club

Post by _Doc »

I have been thinking about starting a Vegan/Vegetarian Club at my college because I know there is quite a few vegans and vegetarians that go to my college. I thought it be nice to be able to let other vegans and vegetarians meet up and talk with each other. I am kinda nervous about trying to start this club. I wanted to get your guy's opinion on this.
Its a nice feeling when people can agree on something. Don't you agree?
AlexanderVeganTheist

Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Club

Post by AlexanderVeganTheist »

If you make it open to all, it seems like a good idea to get people acquainted with vegan thought and food... It's always nice to have meals together... That would be my suggestion to start with: organize a dinner to eat together once every week. Then see how you go from there...
In terms of a name 'club' sounds a bit too exclusive perhaps :), that depends on what your goals are...
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

AlexanderVeganTheist wrote:If you make it open to all, it seems like a good idea to get people acquainted with vegan thought and food... It's always nice to have meals together... That would be my suggestion to start with: organize a dinner to eat together once every week. Then see how you go from there...
In terms of a name 'club' sounds a bit too exclusive perhaps :), that depends on what your goals are...
I guess the three main goals for this group is to:
1. Get to know other vegans and vegetarians
2. Trade recipes, or bring in food.
3. Answer meat eater's questions (Only if they ask)

I call it a club because that is what these type of things are called. Such as: Anime Club, Japanese Club, E-sports Club, Theater Club, Dance Club.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Do you have enough free time, and do you live on or near campus?
Expect to spend most of your time promoting the club and attracting members, and contacting current members to encourage them to come to meetings. You have to really stay on top of things to organize in person meetups.

If you offered free food, that might help attract people. You can sometimes get free food from vegan food companies, if you promote their products.
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Do you have enough free time, and do you live on or near campus?
Expect to spend most of your time promoting the club and attracting members, and contacting current members to encourage them to come to meetings. You have to really stay on top of things to organize in person meetups.

If you offered free food, that might help attract people. You can sometimes get free food from vegan food companies, if you promote their products.

Yes I have a lot of free time. Not this summer tho for I plan on getting an internship then. I live only 15 mins away from my college unless traffic then it is 30 mins. I think I would be able to organize meetups. I have organized D&D games before so I have some experience in that field. Was thinking of once a month or even twice a month I would bring food for people to come in and try for free. Since everyone loves free food. Would warn people that some of the food will contain nuts.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

_Doc wrote: Yes I have a lot of free time. Not this summer tho for I plan on getting an internship then.
People don't go to clubs in the summer anyway, so no problem there.
_Doc wrote: I live only 15 mins away from my college unless traffic then it is 30 mins.
Good to hear; on campus is better, of course, but that's not too bad.
_Doc wrote: I think I would be able to organize meetups. I have organized D&D games before so I have some experience in that field.
Yes, having experience organizing other meetings should help significantly.
_Doc wrote: Was thinking of once a month or even twice a month I would bring food for people to come in and try for free. Since everyone loves free food. Would warn people that some of the food will contain nuts.
I would do it every week, which is less difficult for people to remember.
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
_Doc wrote: Was thinking of once a month or even twice a month I would bring food for people to come in and try for free. Since everyone loves free food. Would warn people that some of the food will contain nuts.
I would do it every week, which is less difficult for people to remember.
Well I say twice a month is because it would get expensive Fast. And I would prefer my money go to mainly my college than food. I do have the bonus of not having to pay much because of my parents are letting live them till I can finance myself well.