Effective Activism

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
AlexanderVeganTheist
Diet: Vegan

Effective Activism

Post by AlexanderVeganTheist »

What are the ways you contribute to spreading veganism?

I post vegan memes and information on Facebook, get into discussions on 9gag and talk to people around me, or for example today I pointed out to a restaurant that they didn't have any vegan options on the menu.

Do you think posting vegan information or memes such as the comics from 'vegan sidekick' on Facebook is helpful? Or does it just reinforce the idea of preachy vegans?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Effective Activism

Post by brimstoneSalad »

This is the right question to be asking.

Animal Charity Evaluators has a number of articles etc. on the topic: http://www.animalcharityevaluators.org/

Unfortunately, it's hard to evaluate a lot of methods.
When you are having an open dialogue, it probably depends on a lot on the methods you're using. Street epistemology may be your best bet for one-on-one.

We've been finding things like Meatless Mondays to probably be a lot more effective than advocating people go vegan straight out, since it's a more acceptable message.

Mercy for animals has a good article on "the V word"
http://www.mercyforanimals.org/v-word

In terms of effective activism, leafleting is probably your best bet (currently).

I would focus on re-sharing things from effective advocacy groups like Mercy for Animals, who have probably put more research into their stuff.

The "vegan sidekick" (from what I've seen) seems pretty non-confrontational and funny, so it's probably more effective than most... but it might only be funny to vegans who are in on the joke. Maybe you can ask some carnists how they feel when they see it, and if they have a positive or defensive reaction?
Minos
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by Minos »

brimstoneSalad wrote: Mercy for animals has a good article on "the V word"
http://www.mercyforanimals.org/v-word
I agree with their article about avoiding "the V word", vegans are perceived as sect and term "vegan police" is also very widespread. In my experience, it gets more attention to say that you are on HCLF plant-based diet than saying you are vegan. It is shame, but people have many negative association with the word vegan and that makes them to stop listening to you. Or maybe it is the ethics, which people don't want to think about.

I also would like some good tips, because right now I only point out little facts here and there and hope, that people around me will think about them more and more. But deep inside I know it's not enough and want to do more.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Minos wrote:In my experience, it gets more attention to say that you are on HCLF plant-based diet than saying you are vegan.
You should just stick to plant based, HCLF is not evidence based, and is more of a dogma or personality cult with advocates like McDougall (who is unfortunately a very visible quack, and he undermines the scientific credibility of plant based diets).

Protein is good, and more satiating -- it's easier for people to stick to a protein rich diet, and as long as it's not high in methionine (avoid animal proteins mostly), and as long as you're not so low card you go into ketosis, there's no evidence that having a protein rich diet is harmful.
Healthy fats are very important -- make a substantial part of your diet based on nuts and seeds. Only limit oil to within reason, but don't come off orthorexic. Saturated fat and trans fats are the bad guys. Make sure you get enough Omega 3.

A plant based diet needs to be satisfying, delicious, and personally and environmentally sustainable, or it's not useful. HCLF diets are not satisfying or sustainable for most people, and they're not healthy when they're too low in fat and protein (80-10-10 is dangerous). Fruit based diets are even worse in that they are environmentally harmful.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

AlexanderVeganTheist wrote:What are the ways you contribute to spreading veganism?

I post vegan memes and information on Facebook, ...
I do this as well. I like to share Vegan Sidekick's comics, because they're short and they pose serious moral questions in a humorous manner. Also, I sometimes (but much more rarely) share a speech that I liked. Some examples include Melanie Joy's "Beyond Carnism" (which examines the common excuses used against veganism, demonstrating how their reasoning is poor), Gary Yourofsky's "Best Speech Ever", and Ask Yourself's "Anti-Vegan Arguments are Weak". The "Best Speech Ever" I shared back in March, marking my completion of 2 years on a vegan lifestyle.

AlexanderVeganTheist wrote:...get into discussions on 9gag and talk to people around me, or for example today I pointed out to a restaurant that they didn't have any vegan options on the menu.

Do you think posting vegan information or memes such as the comics from Vegan Sidekick on Facebook is helpful? Or does it just reinforce the idea of preachy vegans?
Regarding your first question here, I have no idea. I have shared many of Vegan Sidekick's comics, and selected them carefully (funny ones that present good arguments, and are not drawn in an aesthetically displeasing manner. Despite this, I almost never get any comments on them (none at all, as far as I can remember). Is this is because my Facebook friends don't see them? Is it because they understand these arguments in favor of veganism, but don't want to admit the truth, due to their emotionally-vested interests in continuing to consume animal-flesh and body-secretions? Do they see them but just not give a $#!%?

Regarding your second question, it might, but it's difficult to tell. Like I said, I get almost no responses, so any conclusions I make would be based upon wild speculation (which I don't like to do).

Perhaps providing my own thoughts upon the vegan-info/media I share would prevent me from seeming preachy? I already do this. I sometimes leave comments clarifying my reason for sharing a comic, or provide criticism of a vegan activist's work. Surely, if I communicate clearly, and demonstrate that vegans disagree with each other, I can show that we're not all crazy dogmatic cultists?
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
Minos
Diet: Reducetarian

Post by Minos »

brimstoneSalad wrote:You should just stick to plant based, HCLF is not evidence based, and is more of a dogma or personality cult with advocates like McDougall (who is unfortunately a very visible quack, and he undermines the scientific credibility of plant based diets).
You are right, it is poorly picked statement and I didn't really think it through. It is because I'm not following any specific diet and HCLF seemed to be closest to what I typically eat. It's time to rethink that.
brimstoneSalad wrote: Protein is good, and more satiating -- it's easier for people to stick to a protein rich diet, and as long as it's not high in methionine (avoid animal proteins mostly), and as long as you're not so low card you go into ketosis, there's no evidence that having a protein rich diet is harmful.
According to Cronometer my calorie breakdown is 67% carbs, 23% lipids and 10% fats. Translated to absolute numbers, I get 0.9g of protein to 1kg of weight. And I love beans and lentils :]
brimstoneSalad wrote:A plant based diet needs to be satisfying, delicious, and personally and environmentally sustainable, or it's not useful.
I can't agree more. As most of my meals are home cooked, I'm not afraid to use little bit of salt here and brown sugar there. When I'm hungry or not fully satisfied (meaning by its taste) then I have cravings for unhealthy processed foods like donuts or potato chips. Projected to other people, I think that when vegetarians or vegans have cravings (for meat and dairy), it means that their diet is not satisfying and delicious and it needs a change.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Minos wrote: According to Cronometer my calorie breakdown is 67% carbs, 23% lipids and 10% fats. Translated to absolute numbers, I get 0.9g of protein to 1kg of weight. And I love beans and lentils :]
I guess you meant 23% protein?
10% fat is a little low. You might want to try increasing it with more nuts and seeds. Do you have a blender or food processor? You can make some great dressings with nuts and seeds (they can be refrigerated for a few days).
Minos wrote: I can't agree more. As most of my meals are home cooked, I'm not afraid to use little bit of salt here and brown sugar there.
Salt is good, and a little bit of sugar is fine (no need to obsess), but non-caloric sweeteners are better since sugar is empty calories. For baked goods like cookies, you usually want to mix some sugar and some non-caloric sweetener (since without any sugar it tastes wrong), but for things that are not very sweet, some sucralose or stevia can do the trick pretty well alone.

Blackstrap molasses is amazing in terms of nutrition and richness of flavor (it just takes a little bit).

MSG is another cheap and easy option to make things delicious, particularly if you have meat eating friends over.

Garlic and Onion powders, black pepper, cayenne, and mustard are all pretty easy flavors to use, and a little can go a long way.

I'd also recommend lite salt (which is partially potassium chloride). It lets you use more with less sodium, and it gives you a boost to your daily potassium. Tastes a little weird if you use a lot of it, though, or takes some getting used to.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

Cronmeter is very misleading and I don't trust it. Many foods inhibit mineral absportion for instance isolated soy proteins, isolated wheat proteins, coffee, cocoa, green and black teas all inhibit iron absorption and cronmeter doesn't calculate these possibilities .. The results can say you've reach your RDA for a certain mineral but that doesn't mean you absorbed and used those vitamins and minerals... If you don't feel well please go to your doctor and have them write you up some blood work.
Don't be a waste of molecules