Organic / Non-GMO Garden Club

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Organic / Non-GMO Garden Club

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

Recently, I have become the vice president of my school's garden club.

Since the club's formation, a pro-organic, non-GMO position has been maintained and is viewed favorably by virtually all club members and the adult supervisor, who is my English teacher. When brought up, I suggested that we completely abandon this anti-science position. My English teacher jokingly suggested that on an organic / non-organic spectrum, my position means blowing up our garden. She also expressed discomfort with genetic modification (she called it frankengenetics) and suggested that it isn't vegan because of the use of animal DNA in genetic engineering. I only responded to the point about veganism (due to lack of time and cowardice) by explaining to her that sentience was the trait by which moral value was determined, not the presence of animal DNA. I also referenced the president of the club to an Unnatural Vegan video about the usefulness and safeness of GMOs.

Is it worth the time and effort to make the club use synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and genetically modified crops? If so, how should I go about convincing the others that this position is the right one?

Thank you, and I apologize for my terrible storytelling and writing.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Organic / Non-GMO Garden Club

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Yes, absolutely I think it is.

You'll have to learn a lot about the science and persuasion in the process, but that's valuable in and of itself.

Check out veganGMO: http://www.vegangmo.com/

Ask the English teacher to have some talks with you about it first. Focus on educating about the science, and write down her concerns to do research on it -- remember to make sure to ask her to spell out all of her concerns at first, and commit to changing her view if they are all addressed (otherwise, she'll just keep moving the goal post).
The thread on flat Earth is a good reference... but be nicer than I was.
Also, reference street evangelism and Anthony Magnabosco.

E.g. "If I could show you there's no reason to believe they're dangerous, and they may be safer, would you agree that they are better, or do you have other concerns?"

If she will not change her position, then go to some other teachers -- like chemistry teachers -- and ask them if they would be willing to become the club supervisor. Then, go to the students one by one to feel them out.

When you get a sense of which students are most on the fence, spend the most time with them, and with those who support it.
Then ask them to help you persuade the other students.

If you get a majority vote, you should be able to switch faculty advisers, and change the bylaws.

Also, I suggest you take notes, and audio record where possible and legal (make sure you let people know you're recording the conversation for reference). This project might be worthy of an article.
EquALLity
I am God

Post by EquALLity »

I made a topic on whether or not GMOs are vegan awhile ago: https://theveganatheist.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=7&t=230

I think brimstone has some good suggestions, but how are you going to do a vote to change advisers if it comes to that? Are you going to do it while she's in the room? O_O
I mean, she has to be in the room, right? She's the adviser.
Hopefully it doesn't come to that. :P
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Check out veganGMO: http://www.vegangmo.com/
Will do.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Ask the English teacher to have some talks with you about it first. Focus on educating about the science, and write down her concerns to do research on it -- remember to make sure to ask her to spell out all of her concerns at first, and commit to changing her view if they are all addressed (otherwise, she'll just keep moving the goal post).
The thread on flat Earth is a good reference... but be nicer than I was.
Also, reference street evangelism and Anthony Magnabosco.
I'll do this with the president. My teacher has a hands off view of club management. She thinks we should make these decisions, so we don't need to convince her.
brimstoneSalad wrote:If she will not change her position, then go to some other teachers -- like chemistry teachers -- and ask them if they would be willing to become the club supervisor. Then, go to the students one by one to feel them out.
Even if I needed to do this, which I don't because she'll let us change the policy if we agree on it, it would be a bad idea. She is currently my English teacher and will likely be so next year too. This could affect my grade.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Also, I suggest you take notes, and audio record where possible and legal (make sure you let people know you're recording the conversation for reference). This project might be worthy of an article.
Alright, I'll ask.