Vegan for a Year

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
_Doc
Diet: Vegan

Vegan for a Year

Post by _Doc »

So I have finally reached a year with being a vegan. I have lost a total of 36 pounds. I went from 210 to 174 pounds and still slowly loosing. I can now wear my old pants but, I have to wear a belt to hold them up. When I first went vegetarian my body felt so much better lost about 15 pounds within a 4 weeks. Then when I went vegan I began to lose weight at a healthy speed. I have gotten my vitamins checked and all of them including b12 were around the middle of average. I take my vitamins every 6 weeks. I consume food with nuts such as: almonds, cashews, and walnuts. As well as a lot of food with nutritional yeast. I also eat vegetables and fruits like: bananas, peppers, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, blueberries, and occasionally carrots and broccoli. I get my protein from peas, nuts, and a little from soy.
Its a nice feeling when people can agree on something. Don't you agree?
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Vegan for a Year

Post by EquALLity »

Nice job, congratulations! :D
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Unknownfromheaven
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Unknownfromheaven »

Wow, what a great job. I hope i will get there.
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force..We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” ~ Max Planck - Quantum Theory and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

Unknownfromheaven wrote:Wow, what a great job. I hope i will get there.
I am sure! I was a picky eater. I mean really picky. All I ate as a meat eater was turkey burgers, eggs, pizza and chicken noodles; barely nothing else. When I went vegan I have tried so many new things; still do. So if a picky eater went vegan I am sure you can get past vegetarianism too. Once I found replacements for my food was when I stopped being vegetarian and went vegan. I still do eat my vegan scrambled eggs, vegan bacon and other meat/dairy replacements. A quite few of them are store bought.
Unknownfromheaven
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Unknownfromheaven »

Thats really interesting..i was never a picky eater..i ve kind of always loved vegetables...so i will admit that my problems are with cheese (already got replacements which taste good but i hate the fact that it does not melt when i heat it up) and eggs, i already dropped the milk, and began to buy vegan products even if here are a little bit expensive..for instance 1l of cow milk is around 3 to 4 ron (real bad ones)..eco milk which i used to drink was 6 to 7 ron...and vegan milk is 8 to 11 ron...so its no that different, and i began to buy those instead.
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force..We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” ~ Max Planck - Quantum Theory and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Congratulations!
_Doc wrote:I take my vitamins every 6 weeks.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. You mean you check them every six weeks?
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

Unknownfromheaven wrote:Thats really interesting..i was never a picky eater..i ve kind of always loved vegetables...so i will admit that my problems are with cheese (already got replacements which taste good but i hate the fact that it does not melt when i heat it up) and eggs, i already dropped the milk, and began to buy vegan products even if here are a little bit expensive..for instance 1l of cow milk is around 3 to 4 ron (real bad ones)..eco milk which i used to drink was 6 to 7 ron...and vegan milk is 8 to 11 ron...so its no that different, and i began to buy those instead.
Here is my favorite vegan cheese it melts. http://www.goveggiefoods.com/vegan/
brimstoneSalad wrote:Congratulations!
_Doc wrote:I take my vitamins every 6 weeks.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. You mean you check them every six weeks?
I swallow my vitamins every 3 weeks(My bad). My multi-vitamin is Deva.
I should also mention that I do eat food that are fortified with vitamins
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

_Doc wrote: I swallow my vitamins every 3 weeks(My bad). My multi-vitamin is Deva.
You should take B-12 at least a couple times a week if possible. Huge infrequent doses are less effective.
If you don't go outside much, or live at a high or low latitude, you should also be taking vitamin D.

Whether you need other vitamins and minerals depends on your diet. I try to take a multivitamin every few days at least.
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

brimstoneSalad wrote:
_Doc wrote: I swallow my vitamins every 3 weeks(My bad). My multi-vitamin is Deva.
You should take B-12 at least a couple times a week if possible. Huge infrequent doses are less effective.
If you don't go outside much, or live at a high or low latitude, you should also be taking vitamin D.

Whether you need other vitamins and minerals depends on your diet. I try to take a multivitamin every few days at least.
Well with taking my vitamins every 3 weeks my b12 is at 433 pg/mL. The standard range is from 211-946 pg/mL. The nutritional yeast has a lot of b12 in it. For every 1/4 cup (15 g) it has 300% B6 and 290% B12 Daily Value. I will always eat a dish with 1/8 cup, sometimes about a 1/4 cup, every day.

I go outside for an estimated time of 1-2 hour every 5 days. I walk around my college while I wait for my next class. I am 61 feet above sea level. I get some vitamin D from my almond milk but, It probable wouldn't hurt to take some. Next time I go in for my infusion I will request them to check my other vitamins.