Treating Depression with Vegan Diet and Magic Mushrooms

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
vievaisobelle
Diet: Vegan

Treating Depression with Vegan Diet and Magic Mushrooms

Post by vievaisobelle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIkfWlTU2vg

I suffer from clinical depression and PTSD , I'v been looking at natural ''cures'' there is no cure for it but something to help me outside my medication anyone think its advisable to follow VG advice ?
EquALLity
I am God

Re: Treating Depression with Vegan Diet and Magic Mushrooms

Post by EquALLity »

vievaisobelle wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIkfWlTU2vg

I suffer from clinical depression and PTSD , I'v been looking at natural ''cures'' there is no cure for it but something to help me outside my medication anyone think its advisable to follow VG advice ?
Medicine isn't working?
Hmm... Maybe talk with a therapist or psychiatrist about that?

As for using drugs, I guess it's a possible solution.
From my understanding though, drugs are really harmful towards minors in particular because of the brain developing. Are you an adult?

I hope this all works out for you. :)
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
Unknownfromheaven
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by Unknownfromheaven »

my diploma thesis is based on this subject. you could try different forms of meditation.. Learn tai chi chuan (yang) 24 forms.
All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force..We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind. This Mind is the matrix of all matter.” ~ Max Planck - Quantum Theory and Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

I absolutely do not recommend following Vegan Gains' advice. You could have a bad experience with mushrooms, particularly without clinical supervision, which could easily make you worse; that, and if it's illegal in your area, that's another concern.

Illegal drugs are a totally different issue to typical alternative medicine -- which is pesudoscience at best, and frequently proved to be so. Illegal drugs have profound effects, but study on them has been hampered by government regulation (rather than true lack of scientific interest).

You should read more carefully on the issue, and particularly on micro dosing. Vice has a fairly decent article on it.
http://www.vice.com/read/microdosing-ps ... ession-184
While the research thus far seems to indicate that micro-dosing can be beneficial, a few of Fadiman's subjects have reported unpleasant side-effects, and he warns it's not for everyone. Indeed, Sue has had one experience that she says will make her more careful with dosing: "I tried a new batch and took the same amount, but it was stronger, and I felt trippy and unpleasant," she says. "This isn't about taking drugs for pleasure."
The biggest danger in unregulated drugs like these is that the strengths and dosages are unknown.

If you're really interested in trying micro-dosing, discuss it with your therapist. IF you can get your therapist to agree to supervise you, only then would the dangers be mitigated. Or better yet, enroll in a clinical trial - then you'd have real experienced supervision.

But bear in mind: drugs aren't the only way to achieve an altered state of consciousness. There are other cheaper, and probably safer, legal means.

Also, a better method of conquering depression is often to be more introspective and attempt (while on antidepressants so you have the motivation to do so) to idenitify the cuases of depression in your life and address them. Establishing and achieving goals to bettering your life is essential to digging out of a slump, and finding and motivating yourself to purpose is more uplifting than any drug is going to be (this is where veganism -- not just eating vegan, but advocating for the animals to instill purpose into your life -- is very useful).
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Post by PsYcHo »

Having done hallucinogens of one sort or another dozens of times, I urge caution. I did have a few mind opening experiences that I believe helped change my perspective on life in general for the better, but there were also really, really scary ones. A bad trip can do you more harm than good. If this is something you decide to pursue, please do so in the company of at least two others who are sober, and you trust. Remove all sharp objects, and mirrors.

I personally suggest you avoid hallucinogens. The bad trips can be really, really scary, and last for hours. Dietary changes can make a huge difference, and exercise helps as well as they both increase endorphins. There are a lot of natural methods that help with depression, and while mushrooms are natural, so is cyanide.

I hope you the best!
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.