On Sugar: cane, coconut or agave?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
RAWLA
Diet: Vegan

On Sugar: cane, coconut or agave?

Post by RAWLA »

What do you guys prefer [nutritionaly, economically, ecologically] and why?
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Re: On Sugar: cane, coconut or agave?

Post by miniboes »

I personally don't ever add sugar to my food. I think beet sugar is probably the most economic, and thereby sustainable.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It's all sugar, and it's all terrible for you. It's like the myth about corn syrup being meaningfully different from any other sugar. Don't buy the hype. :)

I sweeten with whole fruit, or with non-caloric sweeteners (sucralose, stevia, etc.). I'll also use molasses and maple syrup sometimes, but more for the flavor than the sweetness. Blackstrap molasses is actually quite nutritious (it's rich in minerals), although it doesn't make a great sweetener on its own.
Aramiss

Post by Aramiss »

I use average vegan sugar in baking and Splenda in my coffee :) I don't have much these days, I've cut it way back :)
RAWLA

Post by RAWLA »

Thank you guys! I know, we don't need much sugar as vegans, do we? Bananas, dates, pineapple are the smoothies I regularly make, and don't require any sugar. But it is never too much to know! :)