Catering the non vegan

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
vegan81vzla
Diet: Vegan

Catering the non vegan

Post by vegan81vzla »

Ok, so... current overanimalistic, ultraempathic and compassionate mainstream vegan propaganda and movement would consider it anti-vegan to cook an animal corpse for you nonvegan friends and family... yet... when it comes down to feeding your carnivore pet, all it could be said is that the movement is devided into those who would try to veganize the animal, or those who would feed them an animal product... I leave this open for discussion
PsYcHo
Master of the Forum
Diet: Pescetarian

Re: Catering the non vegan

Post by PsYcHo »

I suppose it would depend on the nature of the gathering, and your skills as a cook. If a vegan friend invited me over for dinner, I would assume it would be a vegan meal. Depending on their culinary abilities, this wouldn't bother me. If I invited him to dinner, I would not expect him to eat steaks.

But if it were a large gathering, say Thanksgiving, my vegan friend would be welcome, and I would try as host to make sure there were suitable options for them to eat, but I would not exclude meat to appease them.

Now if a vegan were to invite me to dinner, and offered to make me a meat dish, I would decline. Never eat something the cook won't try.....
Alcohol may have been a factor.

Taxation is theft.
vegan81vzla

Post by vegan81vzla »

PsYcHo wrote:I suppose it would depend on the nature of the gathering, and your skills as a cook. If a vegan friend invited me over for dinner, I would assume it would be a vegan meal. Depending on their culinary abilities, this wouldn't bother me. If I invited him to dinner, I would not expect him to eat steaks.

But if it were a large gathering, say Thanksgiving, my vegan friend would be welcome, and I would try as host to make sure there were suitable options for them to eat, but I would not exclude meat to appease them.

Now if a vegan were to invite me to dinner, and offered to make me a meat dish, I would decline. Never eat something the cook won't try.....
The purpose of the post was to bring forth the dilema of cooking meat for non-vegan friend, not to a vegan one. Most vegans would consider it an offence to cook meat to a human friend, yet most wouldn't care to feed animal products to a carnivore pet.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

vegan81vzla wrote:Most vegans would consider it an offence to cook meat to a human friend, yet most wouldn't care to feed animal products to a carnivore pet.
It depends on the pet. Dogs can be healthy as vegans, and some cats can. Other cats can have urinary problems.

So, if a vegan had a friend who would die of some disease (not just of being picky) if the vegan didn't cook meat for this friend, and the friend couldn't get food otherwise, most vegans would probably cook meat for that friend.