Are There Problems With Almond Milk?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
_Doc
Diet: Vegan

Are There Problems With Almond Milk?

Post by _Doc »

So I have read things talking about how its bad to consume calcium supplements and that Almond Milk is also not safe to drink. But, I found ones that say it is healthy. I also read that almond milk only has 2% of almonds in it but that is not really that much of a worry to me (unless I should). If almond milk is not the best non-dairy milk then what is? I still would like to have some type of milk.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Are There Problems With Almond Milk?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Almond milk is fine, but don't drink too much calcium. Studies showing danger are dealing with large amounts (like a gram of supplementation a day).

http://veganhealth.org/articles/bones#casupp
Jack Norris wrote:There is no reason to think that vegans are protected from osteoporosis more than other diet groups, and they should strive to meet calcium recommendations. Although it is possible to meet the calcium recommendations by eating greens alone (see chart below), the average vegan probably will not meet recommendations without drinking a glass of fortified drink each day, eating calcium-set tofu, or taking a 250 - 300 mg supplement (in addition to eating an otherwise balanced diet). Although it is important to get enough calcium, do not get more than 1,400 mg of calcium per day.
Also see: http://jacknorrisrd.com/calcium-supplements-and-cardiovascular-disease-in-the-news/
(it could just be dairy causing the cardiovascular issues)

That said, I personally prefer soy milk to almond milk, but many people do not like the beany taste, so almond milk may be better to recommend.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

_Doc wrote:So I have read things talking about how its bad to consume calcium supplements and that Almond Milk is also not safe to drink. But, I found ones that say it is healthy.
It's healthy, as long as you don't consume too much supplementation of calcium, like what Brimstone said, you should be fine
I also read that almond milk only has 2% of almonds in it but that is not really that much of a worry to me (unless I should).
This is based off very skimpy evidence. But it is probably true, Almond milk, like all milk, is mostly water. If you know how almond milk is made, this will make more sense, but it mainly involves straining and pulp, etc. Here is how it is made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeZCMNB2YO0

In short, you need 4 cups of water for every cup of almonds, PLUS you strain most of the excess pulp, so less than 10% almonds in almond milk would be expected. Any more and you just have Almond Cream due to the thickness. The amount of people freaking out over "only 2% almonds" statistics for some reason think Almond Milk is made from whole almonds, and not just the liquid secreted by soaked and blended almonds.
If almond milk is not the best non-dairy milk then what is? I still would like to have some type of milk.
I would say Soy, although I like Almond Milk best in terms of taste, and I mention the reasons why in my blog post about different milks here: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/2015/11 ... e-for-you/
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/
miniboes
Master of the Forum

Post by miniboes »

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:
I also read that almond milk only has 2% of almonds in it but that is not really that much of a worry to me (unless I should).
This is based off very skimpy evidence. But it is probably true, /
In the NL they put the percentages on the packages. I can confirm that almond milk both have 2% of the product they're named after. Which is not a big deal. The remaining 98%, assuming you drink unsweetened, is water (amazing no calorie superfood) and nutrients like calcium, vitamin D and b12. If you drink sweetened, I think it's somewhere between 3 and 7 percent sugar. Perhaps there's a pinch of salt. It's really not anything to be worried about, and the sugar levels will always be lower than cow breast milk.

For other types (Alpro brand): Soy 6.5% (other brands have anywhere between 5 and 7.5), hazelnut 2,5%, coconut drink is 5,5% coconut milk and 3,3% rice. Rice is 12%, oat 10%.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

miniboes wrote: In the NL they put the percentages on the packages. I can confirm that almond milk both have 2% of the product they're named after. Which is not a big deal. [...]
For other types (Alpro brand): Soy 6.5% (other brands have anywhere between 5 and 7.5), hazelnut 2,5%, coconut drink is 5,5% coconut milk and 3,3% rice. Rice is 12%, oat 10%.
Comparable to hazelnut milk. Seems legit. Having made soy milk myself for years, this sounds about right. You only use a tiny bit in a relatively huge amount of water.
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Almond milk is fine, but don't drink too much calcium. Studies showing danger are dealing with large amounts (like a gram of supplementation a day).
I drink about 2 1/2 cups of chocolate almond milk a day. One cup is 425 milligrams of calcium or close to that. So that comes to around 1063 milligrams a day. So I might want to cut back to maybe just 2 cups or 1 and half since I also consume other products with calcium.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:In short, you need 4 cups of water for every cup of almonds, PLUS you strain most of the excess pulp, so less than 10% almonds in almond milk would be expected. Any more and you just have Almond Cream due to the thickness. The amount of people freaking out over "only 2% almonds" statistics for some reason think Almond Milk is made from whole almonds, and not just the liquid secreted by soaked and blended almonds.
Makes sense since when I make almond cheese I use the whole almond and it makes it rather thick.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:I would say Soy, although I like Almond Milk best in terms of taste, and I mention the reasons why in my blog post about different milks here: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/2015/11 ... e-for-you/
Well I take supplements that soy milk gives and I am not a fan of the taste so I will stick with almond I just got to regulate it a bit better.

Thank you both! This puts me at ease.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

_Doc wrote: I drink about 2 1/2 cups of chocolate almond milk a day. One cup is 425 milligrams of calcium or close to that. So that comes to around 1063 milligrams a day. So I might want to cut back to maybe just 2 cups or 1 and half since I also consume other products with calcium.
Right. You can also make your own without calcium, so you can have more chocolate milk, or mix (some of your own, with some store bought, so it has less calcium in it).
I'd sweeten it with a non-caloric sweetener, though. That sounds like a lot of sugar.
Aramiss

Post by Aramiss »

Great advice so far :) I like soy milk, and I found after the first week I couldn't really taste the beans unless I was really trying too (acquired taste :) ).
Where I live soy is cheaper and easier to find, plus we have some soy yogurt and ice cream (I've seen other varieties of non dairy ice cream once, but it was 2 hrs away from home :( ).
Anywho buy whatever you enjoy more, and be really critical of articles slamming the non dairy alternatives. A lot of people are biased :(
Robinwomb

Post by Robinwomb »

Over the last year or so I have been trying to drink more plant milk each day, usually two to three servings. If I only get in one or two, I will consume another plant calcium source like blackstrap molasses, several cups of leafy greens in a smoothie with a tablespoon or two of chia seeds also in there, or some other plant source. I take a calcium supplement but only 350mg currently per day, and 400 IU vitamin D plus that I get in the plant milk. I have a terrible time with calcium supplements, whether liquid or pill or powder form, or whether they include vegan vitamin D or magnesium etc. I am sensitive to supplements in general. I get bloated, or nauseated, or headaches, and other symptoms with them. But when I eat a food or drink fortified with it, I don't seem to have problems. Maybe because it is less concentrated?

I am mindful of my calcium (and other bone mineral) intake because I already have the diagnosis of osteoporosis. My first DEXA scan was in 2006, one year after I had a hysterectomy and lost both ovaries at the age of 33 for endometriosis. I had wanted a baseline since I knew I was at higher risk for bone loss. I was shocked that I already had osteoporosis. My T score spine was -3.2 and hip -1.8 (osteopenia range there). Z scores were similar. My risk factors beyond severe loss of my natural hormones are being on thyroid meds for 27 years, being slightly to moderately underweight at various times in my life (from lots of dance training but also eating disorder triggered after losing my ovaries), family history, and smoked from 1997-2006. I have since had four more dexa scans. The one in 2014 was shockingly bad because I had relapsed into full blown anorexia nervosa from late 2012 to mid 2013 and was severely underweight. My T spine dropped to -3.8, though hip was not affected as much (it had improved from -1.8 to -1.2 some time ago but dropped back down to -1.6 in 2010 and -1.8 in 2014). I was finally able to put on a lot of weight and get back to a much healthier place in 2014, but due to the nature of my bones and the fact that I have already fractured my pelvic area, I went on an osteoporosis med (realizing it is not an ideal situation but reversing bone loss of this caliber is very very difficult when the odds are already stacked against me without ovaries...I have already been on HRT since 2005). I just had another DEXA scan two days ago to monitor the effects of the med after two years and I am hoping with my weight gain, building muscle at the gym, eating more mindfully in regards to protein and bone building minerals, and the osteo med I will have gained some bone density. I do really worry about taking the osteo med long term (it's Prolia).

I really like the article referenced in this thread by Jack Norris regarding calcium and D needs. I do think that many vegans dismiss protein needs and there is the belief that we will be protected by eating loads of fruits and veggies. If it were only that easy.

As far as plant milks, I mostly drink almond but like to occasionally drink cashew milk, soy milk, or flaxseed milk. I've tried oat and hemp but am not a huge fan of them. I like rice milk to drink but haven't had much success cooking or baking with it compared to almond or soy milk.
_Doc

Post by _Doc »

Robinwomb wrote:I am sensitive to supplements in general. I get bloated, or nauseated, or headaches, and other symptoms with them. But when I eat a food or drink fortified with it, I don't seem to have problems. Maybe because it is less concentrated?
That is very inspirational even though your body hates supplements you still found a way to work around them. I know people who would just go off and say "I guess my body isn't meant to be vegan!" and not give it a second thought.
Robinwomb wrote: As far as plant milks, I mostly drink almond but like to occasionally drink cashew milk, soy milk, or flaxseed milk. I've tried oat and hemp but am not a huge fan of them. I like rice milk to drink but haven't had much success cooking or baking with it compared to almond or soy milk.
Never tried out oat or hemp just sounded odd to me.
Yeah I love cooking/baking with almond milk works very well.