Is candy vegetarian?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Mateo3112
Diet: Vegetarian

Is candy vegetarian?

Post by Mateo3112 »

My cousin is a vegeterian, but some days ago i saw her eating candy, i told her it contained meat but she just laughed. I'm not sure if she thought it was a joke or just didn't care. Maybe i'm the one that's wrong and candy is in fact vegeterian but not vegan.
I don't know, she doesn't usually make that kind of mistakes, she checks multiple times the ingredient list of everything she eats.
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure" -George Carlin
EquALLity
I am God
Diet: Vegan

Re: Is candy vegetarian?

Post by EquALLity »

Why would candy have meat? :?

Lots of candy is actually vegan, like jolly ranchers and even blow pops.
Some has gelatin or dairy, though, like gummy bears and chocolate.
"I am not a Marxist." -Karl Marx
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Is candy vegetarian?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

He may be talking about sugar processed with bone char.

Don't worry about stuff like that. Sugar is bad for you, so it's a good idea to avoid it or minimize it (added sugar), but it's probably not helpful to call it not vegetarian/vegan.

I don't always agree with PETA, but they're on the mark with their advice on this one.
See:
http://www.peta.org/living/food/making-transition-vegetarian/ideas-vegetarian-living/tiny-amount-animal-products-food/