Was family and friends support importan when becoming vegan?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Ulf_Kuhn
Diet: Vegan

Was family and friends support importan when becoming vegan?

Post by Ulf_Kuhn »

Hello atheist vegan friends,

I made a poll about received support from family and friends when becoming a vegan https://q.votechimp.com/Mfr1Ju

I didn't expect those results, really.

I would like to know your opinons about the results, and I'd also like to know if you had support enough from your relatives.

What do you think about this?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Was family and friends support importan when becoming vegan?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

What were the results?

It seems like very few people have support, since we live in a predominately carnist world, and families tend to be pretty skeptical when their teens go vegan (which seems to be much of the movement's growth).
Jaywalker

Post by Jaywalker »

Did you intend to ask about the initial support or the current? That's not clear, so the choices may not reliably reflect people's experience.

My family or friends didn't initially support me, but they did become supportive after about a year - you didn't provide an option I could pick, for instance. I believe most people (particularly family) initially tend to disapprove. It takes a while for them to get used to it.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jaywalker wrote:Did you intend to ask about the initial support or the current? That's not clear, so the choices may not reliably reflect people's experience.
That's a good point. I experienced the same; after some time, they get used to it and realize you're not going to die, so they become more accepting.
Aramiss

Post by Aramiss »

Since my initial decision to go vegetarian was health related people were fine with it. Vegan was a small step after that, and they can see how much better I am now. My husband is very supportive, and that's been the best help.

My one issue has been my kids, they eat a lot of the same things I do and people worry about their health. It's insulting and rude, but my husband supports us so I don't let it get to me too much lol (plus the kids get supplements as well, just to make sure they're getting enough B12).