Best way to advocate Veganism?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
bearbear287
Diet: Vegan

Best way to advocate Veganism?

Post by bearbear287 »

Hello everyone, as a vegan I am very passionate about the topic, and want to spread the message to as many people as possible. But sometimes it can be tricky justifying with an unwilling, and uneducated listener. You know the truth, and you know plenty about Veganism, but when it comes down to advocating for what you believe in, it can get difficult to get the message out.

My question is, in your guy's opinions what is the best way to get someone to really start thinking about Veganism, making the gears turn, and making the connection?

I know that people are vegan for many different reasons such as, environmental, health, ethical, beliefs, ect..... But witch one of these reasons appeals to the majority? what will make people really think?

It is best to try and explain all of these aspects to people, but sometimes you just don't have the time. I wish I could just present a wonderful speech to them such as Gary Yourofsky's "Best speech you will ever hear" but that is just not possible.

Thank you! :D
Jaywalker

Re: Best way to advocate Veganism?

Post by Jaywalker »

If you mean for everyday conversations, I think the best way is to come prepared and I don't necessarily mean with knowledge. Workout, have a decent haircut, pay attention to your hygiene (and make-up if you're a woman - even some men need it), and be generally presentable. Have an understanding of rhetoric and depending on the circumstances, become a little bit of an asshole. You usually get people to be interested not by sharing facts but by being impressive. You can then point them in the right direction. :D

Organised activism is much more useful but I have very little experience in it. Others will probably have suggestions for that.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jaywalker wrote: Organised activism is much more useful but I have very little experience in it. Others will probably have suggestions for that.
The best method, according to the evidence, is leafleting. Do all of the things Jaywalker said, be clean and presentable and normal looking, friendly, cool, then go out and give people information in the form of approachable leaflets designed by professionals.

For example:

http://www.mercyforanimals.org/files/VEBrochure.pdf

If you just want to try a few out, you can print that out (double sided) and fold it. Make sure it lines up correctly so stuff isn't upside down when you print the other side. A print-shop should be able to help you.

Or you can order them online: http://store.mercyforanimals.org/detail ... oductId=10
They print them in bulk, so it may be cheaper that way.
bearbear287

Post by bearbear287 »

Thanks for the feedback jaywalker, and brimstone salad.
I think one misconception about vegans is that we are all weird hippies, but that is not usually the case. It's interesting you guys say that you should try to be impressive, I didn't think of that. It makes sense, because if they see how happy you are, and how you are so great as a vegan it may get them aspiring towards veganism.

One time I talked about veganism to a classmate who was interested in it, I told him what movies/ videos to watch. And he is working towards being vegan. For me, turning someone vegan is a big accomplishment, because I'm saving so many lives by doing so. I will definitely want to turn many more people vegan, and hopefully I can do so successfully. :D
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

bearbear287 wrote: One time I talked about veganism to a classmate who was interested in it, I told him what movies/ videos to watch. And he is working towards being vegan. For me, turning someone vegan is a big accomplishment, because I'm saving so many lives by doing so. I will definitely want to turn many more people vegan, and hopefully I can do so successfully. :D
That's great! :D
When you convince them, try to make sure to point them in a good direction for science based health advice so they can stay vegan, like veganhealth.org and theveganrd.com

http://veganhealth.org/articles/dailyrecs
http://www.theveganrd.com/2012/09/ten-t ... -diet.html
Aramiss

Post by Aramiss »

Being presentable is a great start :) Having good info is awesome, and being relaxed and non judgemental is a great way to keep people listening (placing blame and making people feel bad will shut them down and they won't hear what you have to say). It also depends on your location, things that might get attention in the states would be a big turn off to Aussies, and so forth.
Be prepared for ridicule and stay calm. Yes people will say stupid things, a joke or well timed comment can get them thinking.
As for changing people, I don't think it's possible. You can plant the seed, give them good info, but at the end of the day they have to want to change.