Webcomic project ideas

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Jaywalker
Diet: Vegan

Webcomic project ideas

Post by Jaywalker »

I'm planning to make a short one-shot web comic, or something that can develop into a mini-series. It'll promote veganism but not in an in-your-face manner. I'd rather not use the word vegan at all. I have some ideas but nothing concrete. I'm not as skilled as the Marvel and DC guys, but it'll still look pretty. I'd like to hear your suggestions.

What sort of story would you like to see in such a comic? What do you think would reach and influence my audience? Do you have any character or trope ideas? Colored (my preference) or black and white?

All suggestions are welcome.
Mr. Purple

Re: Webcomic project ideas

Post by Mr. Purple »

Centering the story around a small child who loves animals could be good. Maybe it could be about boy who lives on a farm who has a best friend pig that he lets out of his pen and goes on adventures with. Then as the father's operation gets more funding and upgrades more and more towards factory farm standards, we slowly see the happy pig degrade into a mental wreck, but temporarily comes back to his right mind around the boy. Until one day... hmm... that's probably darker than you were thinking...

Maybe just two guys at a restaurant talking is better for this kind of thing, i don't know. What ideas are you playing with currently?

I've always thought it would be funny to do one about a pokemon rights activist in the pokemon universe but that probably wouldn't help the vegan cause much.
Jaywalker

Post by Jaywalker »

The first one is actually a good idea, but it would both be depressing for me to work on, and it would be pushing the agenda too obviously. I want something that can plant ideas in the reader, something subtle that won't immediately cause them to erect mental walls to avoid their cognitive dissonance. :D

Two guys talking could work. Maybe a mentor type old guy, or a war veteran reliving and recounting memories. I'll explore this idea.

My own ideas generally center around conventional superhero stuff, mythology, things like that.
Mr. Purple wrote:I've always thought it would be funny to do one about a pokemon rights activist in the pokemon universe but that probably wouldn't help the vegan cause much.
Don't know about webcomics, but there's a pokemon parody game by PETA: http://features.peta.org/pokemon-red-white-blue-parody-game/
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Aliens can work well; coming to Earth, and factory farming humans. Having rebels, and some good aliens, and a lot of conversations using the same logic carnists use to justify farming humans.

Can you post an example of the illustration style you're going for?

Aiming for quality is good, but sometimes too much detail creates diminishing returns, and causes you to reduce the content to achieve the detail level you're after.
Jaywalker

Post by Jaywalker »

I had a similar idea, kind of like War of the Worlds - Do you think that story made people question things? I didn't know about the book and saw the movie after I became vegan, so I don't know what I'd have thought of it if I'd seen it while eating meat.
brimstoneSalad wrote:Can you post an example of the illustration style you're going for?
Something like this: http://muddycolors.blogspot.com.tr/2015 ... again.html

I expect to spend many months on it, I'm fine with that. I'll try to put together a storyline and post again later.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Jaywalker wrote:I had a similar idea, kind of like War of the Worlds - Do you think that story made people question things?
I don't think so. I don't think it was a close enough parallel.
Jaywalker wrote:Something like this: http://muddycolors.blogspot.com.tr/2015 ... again.html

I expect to spend many months on it, I'm fine with that. I'll try to put together a storyline and post again later.
That's pretty amazing. Art that good can have diminishing returns, though. Personally, I'd lower the production quality a little bit, so it's still good, but so that you can produce more content at the same time (since, as you said, it'd take months, but the most popular webcomics update a couple times a week). There's a point of balance between quality and quantity for optimal effect.

I'm going to PM you my e-mail, if you want we can chat real time on story to optimize outreach and the vegan message without making it too strong, and look at the web comic market. You're good, and this has a lot of potential to reach a lot of people.
Jaywalker

Post by Jaywalker »

That's not my work by the way! Just the style I enjoy and try to improve at. I'd say I'm closer skillwise to that painter's earlier "Pridelands" work (shown in the middle row in that page). Sorry to disappoint, should have clarified. ;)