What's wrong with soy?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
konakona

What's wrong with soy?

Post by konakona »

I hear from a lot of vegan that soy is bad but I hear that's it's good too so is it bad or good and what's the problem with it? If I eat and drink too much soy what could happen? I drink soy milk often and eat tofu often and so far I didn't feel bad so what's the problem?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: What's wrong with soy?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Unless you're allergic, soy is a great part of a healthy diet.
If you are -- as goes for anything -- then just don't buy it.

Both GMO and non-GMO soy are fine, claims of the dangers are untrue.
Although I'd avoid organic because of the animal feces, it's technically edible too.

Soy is fine as soymilk, tofu, TVP and tempeh.
It's fine as miso, soy sauce, and even edamame.

Soy is fine, and there's no credible scientific evidence against its health.
It's just a bunch of loonie fear mongering from the Weston Price gang to amass fame and wealth.
konakona

Post by konakona »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Soy is fine, and there's no credible scientific evidence against its health. It's just a bunch of loonie fear mongering from the Weston Price gang to amass fame and wealth.
Thanks for your answer. So I don't have to worry about soy.
Cirion Spellbinder
Master of the Forum

Post by Cirion Spellbinder »

brimstoneSalad wrote:Soy is fine, and there's no credible scientific evidence against its health.
There seems to be evidence suggesting that consuming greater than 3-5 servings of soy products a day has potential risks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osAJOlSFdEo
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Cirion Spellbinder wrote:
brimstoneSalad wrote: There seems to be evidence suggesting that consuming greater than 3-5 servings of soy products a day has potential risks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osAJOlSFdEo
Greger is being conservative.
This doesn't seem to be soy specific, but rather due to IGF-1, possibly from the more substantial amounts of methionine soy provides.
I get more excited about mechanistic studies, but of course, you can almost always have too much of a good thing.

I would focus more on limiting overall methionine. More than five servings of soy, due to the high methionine content, could be Counterproductive to that endeavor.

5 servings of tofu would be around 20% of your daily calories, or around a pound of tofu a day. It would be hard to eat that much tofu for most people, although still fine. He's suggesting people not go over that amount, which would be hard to go over anyway unless you just went all-out on soy.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

konakona wrote: Thanks for your answer. So I don't have to worry about soy.
No problem. And right, don't worry about soy.

But you may want to limit total methionine, as I mention in the post above.

If you use the website chronometer.com you can input your diet, and look on the bottom left of the breakdown where it covers overall protein and amino acids. Look for the Methionine section, and make sure it doesn't pass much beyond 100% for the day (if you want).
Of course, make sure you get enough of all other essential amino acids except methionine (methionine is sometimes essential too, but too much is bad for you). You particularly want to get more lysine, which is very good for you.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

konakona wrote:what's wrong with soy?
Nothing
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/