Anyone Vegan here eat wild plants?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

Anyone Vegan here eat wild plants?

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

I have considered eating wild plants for a long time, but for some reason decided that doing so was extremist and nasty somehow. I have always feared that I am going to eat some poisonous plant.

Lately I have been looking into it again, possibly considering Clover and Dandelion as something to try out. Not for any magical healing BS or anything, but just to see what it is like, and possibly as a free food source.

Thoughts? Have you ever done this?
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Anyone Vegan here eat wild plants?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It can be excellent as a free food source, although these foods are not palatable to most people, and you may want to take care to research oxalates and considerations from eating a large amount of them.
Plants that grow in the wild are usually tougher, physically and chemically, which makes them less delicious. Our cultivated plants are particularly soft, made so to serve as a human food source, although that also makes them extremely vulnerable to pests.