Favourite recipes

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
miniboes
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Favourite recipes

Post by miniboes »

I'm rather surprised I couldn't find a topic like this, so I figured I'd make one. What are you favorite vegan recipes? What do you make whenever you don't feel like looking up a recipe and/or going to the supermarket? Bonus points if they include chickpeas because I just soaked and cooked 900g of chickpeas and am having trouble eating them all.

- - - - - -

What I do most of the time when I cook for myself because I have no inspiration at all, is stir frying the following ingredients:
- Chickpeas
- Bell pepper
- Zuchinni
- Broccoli
- Tomato and/or tomato sauce
- With flavoring: garlic, oregano, thyme/basil, salt, bay leaf
I then mix the stir fry with cooked lentils and rice/pasta.

Any ideas to make this recipe tastier/healthier are of course welcome too.
"I advocate infinite effort on behalf of very finite goals, for example correcting this guy's grammar."
- David Frum
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Re: Favourite recipes

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Bean dip/hummus/etc.
The best thing to do with a large amount of beans is usually to blend or smash them into a kind of dip, and dip veggies in them.
Always try to have some of that on hand.
Sliced veggies like carrots, celery, and peppers are really good for dipping.
Lightningman_42
Master in Training

Post by Lightningman_42 »

Burritos that I frequently make:

Ingredients*:
-Tortillas
-1 large onion, finely chopped
-1 can of black beans (dry mass of 284g)
-1 can of chickpeas (dry mass of 284g)
-340g salsa
-142g of rice (I use Trader Joe's Rice Medley; a mixture of brown rice, red rice, and black barley)
-Small amount of yellow corn (I use 1/2 cup or less; sometimes I skip this entirely)
-1.5tsp of chili powder
-0.5tsp of cumin
-Tiny quantity of garlic powder; add to taste
-Guacamole!

Heat up a Tbsp or so of olive oil in a pan and fry the chopped onion slices for about 3 or 4 minutes. Add spices and mix. After that, just throw in most of the other ingredients (except for the guacamole and tortillas). Once that's thoroughly heated and mixed, place onto tortillas, add guacamole, and wrap them into burritos.

*I hope you can find all of these ingredients. Are all of these ingredients generally easy to find at Netherlandish grocery stores? Could you get them all at your local Albert Heijn? From my experience shopping at Albert Heijn supermarkets, they generally appear to have a large diversity of foods.
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil but because of those who look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein
RanOverByATrain

Post by RanOverByATrain »

You are probably out of chickpeas by now, but you might want another recipe anyway. My favorite recipe with chickpeas in it is this recipe for chickpea salad sandwiches. I use a food processor to chop up the chickpeas, carrots, and celery because I'm a lazybutt.

http://www.theppk.com/2013/07/chickpea-salad-sammiches/

I don't have any recipe I turn to when I need to go to the supermarket. I just find a recipe to make with what I have.

I make roasted potatoes with salt, pepper, vegan butter, and caramelized onions when I don't feel like looking up a recipe.
cornivore

Post by cornivore »

You all seem to be good cooks. I just tried making carrot juice interesting, since I'd strained the liquid out of boiled and mashed carrots before using them in a stir fry. Simply adding cinnamon mixed with brown sugar to warm carrot juice makes something like carrot nog or a pumpkin spice drink. That's a good dessert (instant favorite—I like simple recipes).

I've got a portable hot plate that I can use to reheat things like that on the table, after eating the rest, so I'll get the most out of the liquids I boil things in, if they have a good flavor (like sweet potato broth mixed with chili powder and salt, for another kind of drink—my dog loves sweet potatoes, so he gets the better of those). Strained corn makes a good drink or broth, of course. I always cook a big pot of hot soup and/or salad, on days that I eat (I consider stir fry to be a salad, and mix a dressing or dipping sauce for it—sesame oil, dijon mustard, and soy sauce is tasty, I actually licked the bowl)!