Say no to bottled water

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Neptual
Diet: Vegan

Say no to bottled water

Post by Neptual »

So I saw this video today and it got me thinking. Why do we even pay for water at all? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se12y9hSOM0
She's beautiful...
Volenta
Master in Training

Re: Say no to bottled water

Post by Volenta »

Always hated those things because of it's commercial aspect. Didn't know it was that bad though.

I also wasn't aware of the bad aspects of plastic in general that much. I though it was childish to put a tax on plastic bags for example. Now I'm trying to buy more products that are environmental friendly.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

Bottled water doesn't make much sense when the tap water is drinkable.

That said, though, it's just insane that we flush our toilets with drinkable water...

Volenta wrote:Now I'm trying to buy more products that are environmental friendly.
Well, it's terrible if they go into an ocean, but if they go into a land fill, that's arguably almost neutral. It comes out of the ground, we use it, then put it back into the ground.

Burying an organic molecule that takes hundreds of years to break down is a pretty stable form of carbon sequestration.

If we used more bioplastics, and then buried those, we'd actually be capturing CO2 and sequestering it in landfills in the process (although we'd have to make sure to produce stable forms)- which is the direction we probably need to be going in, so that our consumer practice of packaging and waste actually fights global warming.
Although we'd have weigh that against the energy required to dig the hole, manufacture the plastic (and the membrane), and transport/bury the plastic there.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

How about that if you live in America the government puts FLUORIDE into the water and that is something that can not be filtered out...
Most of bottle water is tap water, no one should be drinking reconstituted water.
Why do you think there are places for you to drop of your old RX drugs instead of flushing them down the toilet? Oh that is right if you are drinking tap water you are essentially drinking the shit and piss and what ever anyone else flushes down their toilet...
When my son was around one year my breast milk supply dropped severely frantically not knowing what to give him because he was to old for powdered formula and my blender had stopped working and I bought organic quinoa and rice milk for him to substitute my missing milk... It didn't take long for us to see the apparent changes in him, he was angry all the time (he is such a lover boy), he was able to sit through a movie with out fussing. and he had a lack of concentration he was so dull...
I knew he was being altered from the fluoride in the crap I was giving him... I got a blender soon after and have making home made nut and seeds milks ever since and he is back to normal

Drink spring water say no to being brain washed by fluoride...
Don't be a waste of molecules
Neptual

Post by Neptual »

PrincessPeach wrote:How about that if you live in America the government puts FLUORIDE into the water and that is something that can not be filtered out...
Most of bottle water is tap water, no one should be drinking reconstituted water.
Why do you think there are places for you to drop of your old RX drugs instead of flushing them down the toilet? Oh that is right if you are drinking tap water you are essentially drinking the shit and piss and what ever anyone else flushes down their toilet...
When my son was around one year my breast milk supply dropped severely frantically not knowing what to give him because he was to old for powdered formula and my blender had stopped working and I bought organic quinoa and rice milk for him to substitute my missing milk... It didn't take long for us to see the apparent changes in him, he was angry all the time (he is such a lover boy), he was able to sit through a movie with out fussing. and he had a lack of concentration he was so dull...
I knew he was being altered from the fluoride in the crap I was giving him... I got a blender soon after and have making home made nut and seeds milks ever since and he is back to normal

Drink spring water say no to being brain washed by fluoride...
Not in all places are fluoride in the tap water. I know for sure that the neighborhood I live certainly does not have fluoride in it. The water from the drinking fountains in NYC are the exact same thing as the ones in the the plastic water bottles that I pay money for.

It makes no sense to pay for bottled water, when I can go outside and fill a reusable water bottle for free. And most of all they're all around the city!
She's beautiful...
thebestofenergy
Master in Training

Post by thebestofenergy »

dan1073 wrote:It makes no sense to pay for bottled water, when I can go outside and fill a reusable water bottle for free. And most of all they're all around the city!
Same thing where I live. I just go refill my bottles to a fountain. I also live in the hills, so the water is really good here.
The hilarious thing is that in my village there's a bar that sells water bottles for insane prices right near to a fountain.
For evil to prevail, good people must stand aside and do nothing.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote:How about that if you live in America the government puts FLUORIDE into the water and that is something that can not be filtered out...
Please see: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation

Water fluoridation is uncontroversial, and based on sound science. It is nearly equivalent in its great and unquestioned benefit to public health to vaccination.

Anybody who has told you otherwise is spreading conspiracy theories.
PrincessPeach wrote:Most of bottle water is tap water, no one should be drinking reconstituted water.
I don't know what you think "reconstituted water" is...
This sounds like a misunderstanding. Do you mean remineralized water?

Tap water is perfectly healthy to drink in most modern cities, particularly in North America, where it is highly regulated.
Tap water is also the safest source of water, because it has the most oversight in the U.S.

Bottled water is more than questionable: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Bottled_water

That's what makes bottled water a waste of money there, as well as probably worse for you. In countries where tap water isn't drinkable, it's more reasonable, and sometimes necessary if you don't have your own filtration system.

PrincessPeach wrote:Why do you think there are places for you to drop of your old RX drugs instead of flushing them down the toilet?
I know you asked that question rhetorically, but you clearly don't know the actual answer.

Why? Because the EPA is concerned about the effects of prescription drugs on aquatic life, which has been observed.
There is also concern over antibiotics producing resistant strains (when antibiotics are present in low concentrations, that's what happens).
There's no reason to put these things in the ocean, or lakes and rivers, if we don't have to.
Even in places where second hand water eventually makes it back into the system, there's no evidence at all of any detrimental effects on humans.

What you say is the reason, isn't the main reason. That's not really a thing- and it never will be, because extensive precautions are taken in water processing.
PrincessPeach wrote:Oh that is right if you are drinking tap water you are essentially drinking the shit and piss and what ever anyone else flushes down their toilet...
Due Diligence: please do it.

Tap water is not "shit and piss". That is black water, and is processed by waste treatment plants. They undergo serious processing to remove human wastes. The output of waste treatment plants usually goes into the ocean, or lakes and rivers. In some places it's used in irrigation, and other things like that.

You drink recycled water NOW, because ALL water is ultimately recycled water. We live in a closed system, and all human drinking water systems are drawn from lakes, rivers, the water table, or oceans. Even the rain used to be the water from something's piss and shit, which came from the ocean, which is where we dump much of our waste output.

There was a great statistic about how much of the water you drink passed through Abraham Lincoln's bladder; don't pretend your water came from the pure center of a star and waited around for 4.54 billion years in a glacier just for you.

Only a few places in the world actually use more directly and deliberately recycled water in the municipal supply, and with world water shortages it's because of fear mongering such as what you're doing now that it isn't more common -- and that's a real shame. Because if we DID use recycled water, we would be able to conserve water resources in a big way.

If you'd like to read something that isn't fear mongering conspiracy theory propaganda, read this:

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2011/04/04 ... ing-water/

It's a great summary of water processing, and water recycling.

Recycling. Because that's what it is, and more of us should do it.

I would proudly drink recycled water, as an environmentalist. And any true environmentalist would say the same.

PrincessPeach wrote:When my son was around one year[...]
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

Nobody here is moved by anecdotes. How about some evidence?

PrincessPeach wrote:I knew he was being altered from the fluoride in the crap I was giving him...
You knew no such thing. You assumed it, you guessed it, you had faith in it due to the conspiracy theory stuff you have been indoctrinated with- but you didn't know it.
And as it turns out, you were wrong. Fluoride in drinking water is responsible for reducing the incidence of oral cavities- if you want to blame the fluoride for that, go right ahead. Anything else is irrational- you might as well blame the retrograde of mars, the arrangement of your furniture, or demonic possession.

Kids go through little phases and behavioral changes. It's part of growing up. All new parents learn this- and all new parents worry it's something they're doing. They're afraid, and they want to fix it, so they look for reasons, and they'll try to find something that correlates- any random thing- with the change in behavior. But correlation is not causation. This is basic psychology that makes people do it, and basic logic that makes it wrong.

PrincessPeach wrote:I got a blender soon after and have making home made nut and seeds milks ever since and he is back to normal
It's most likely a coincidence that his behavior changed. All we can know is that there's no evidence that it had anything to do with the tap water.

However, it's great that you're trying to make home made whole foods for him. You sound like a good mom who is trying her best.

But don't blame every thing he does on yourself- sometimes kids just go through phases, or do stuff as part of growing up and it has nothing to do with you or anything you gave him.
Obsessing over what you should have done, or what might be the cause of normal behavioral fluctuations during development doesn't help anybody. And buying into conspiracy theories certainly doesn't help. As a mother, your responsibility is to be a rock for your son, a rational, intelligent, and educated point of stable influence, love, and inspiration.

If you let him see you behaving this way, who knows what kinds of tin foil hats he'll end up putting on when he takes that kind of irrational thought as the appropriate way to approach life- the world of a conspiracy theorist is full of paranoia; it's a dark, hopeless, and evil place where people of untouchable power plot against you, and you become vulnerable to any number of quacks and cons. Conspiracy theory indoctrination is as much child abuse as religious fundamentalist indoctrination. Please don't do it.

The best thing you can do for your son is to respect science and reason, and instill those same values in him.

And please don't give him 'natural' spring water; it's not safe to drink.
PrincessPeach

Post by PrincessPeach »

In response to brimstonesalad,
I stopped reading your post after I saw that you referenced wikipedia not once but TWICE!
Did you not learn in middle school to never reference anything from wikipedia, that just proves to me you only know what you've googled...
Don't be a waste of molecules
Volenta
Master in Training

Post by Volenta »

PrincessPeach wrote:In response to brimstonesalad,
I stopped reading your post after I saw that you referenced wikipedia not once but TWICE!
Did you not learn in middle school to never reference anything from wikipedia, that just proves to me you only know what you've googled...
The information you can find there is most of the time trustworthy, but you should always read it with skepticism because they sometimes are wrong indeed. If you feel someone made a statement in an article that requires evidence, you can ask for a source. People do this all the time and are skeptical about the content other users put forward. If you actually looked at the articles he gave, you can see that pretty much everywhere sources are cited to back it up with evidence. If you don't like or trust the article itself, look at the sources directly to check their correctness.

And by the way, what are the sources you used to back up your claims?
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad

Post by brimstoneSalad »

PrincessPeach wrote:In response to brimstonesalad,
Congratulations, you're closed minded!

Also, I did not reference wikipedia a single time in that post. That was rationalwiki, which is not related to wikipedia, and is more heavily controlled- they are articles that debunk your conspiracy theory nonsense specifically.

And aside from that, Wikipedia (the heavily edited and contested articles particularly) is a fairly reliable source, and you sited absolutely zero sources (credible or not). Hypocrite.

If you aren't going to participate in the conversation, or even read an opposing point of view, then stop running your mouth with your twisted conspiracy theory nonsense. You're as bad as any fundamentalist I've met, and if you're that closed minded, you're obviously as unfit a parent as any religious fundamentalist- which makes me sorry for your child.

I hope you wake up and take the time to read my post, which I took the time to write for you, if not for your sake, then for the sake of your child.
Last edited by brimstoneSalad on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.