Do animals know?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Mateo3112
Diet: Vegetarian

Do animals know?

Post by Mateo3112 »

So, 3 or 4 days ago i was watching the news and aparently a cow had escaped before they killed it for consumption.
The cow was jumping and running and busting into stuff in total despair. It ran away from everything, kids, babies, dogs, etc.
They eventually catched it and decided to kill it the following day because it was impossible to do so that day.
And it got me thinking: Do animals know they're gonna be killed? Do they know the gruesome death that awaits them?
"Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure" -George Carlin
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: Do animals know?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

It's possible, but depends on the circumstances. I wouldn't rely on an argument like that, though, because we just don't know if they know.

The moral argument that it's wrong to kill animals that don't want to die is better. Ask this: "Would you be OK with me killing you, if I did it painlessly and without you knowing it's coming, or would you prefer that I didn't kill you?"
Allison-vega
Diet: Vegan

Re: Do animals know?

Post by Allison-vega »

Mateo3112 wrote:So, 3 or 4 days ago i was watching the news and aparently a cow had escaped before they killed it for consumption.
The cow was jumping and running and busting into stuff in total despair. It ran away from everything, kids, babies, dogs, etc.
They eventually catched it and decided to kill it the following day because it was impossible to do so that day.
And it got me thinking: Do animals know they're gonna be killed? Do they know the gruesome death that awaits them?

I would say so. You can look at an animal and know on some level what their feeling. You just have to get out of your human mind and try to imagine it through their eyes.