How Much Fruit Is Too Much?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl
Diet: Vegetarian

How Much Fruit Is Too Much?

Post by ThatNerdyScienceGirl »

Due to my local market selling bruised fruit for discounted prices, I have been swimming in Apples, Bananas, Pears, and Oranges. I eat anywhere from 150-450 calories in fruit each day. Sometimes this leaves me at a good calorie count, sometimes I overeat due to feeling unsatiated..

I feel as if the high amount of fruit might just be empty calories, and I should replace that with vegetables, like sweet potato, beans, lentils, and whole grains. But I could be wrong. Many people eat a high-fruit diet and they are doing fine.

What do you all think?
Nerdy Girl talks about health and nutrition: http://thatnerdysciencegirl.com/
Allison-vega
Diet: Vegan

Re: How Much Fruit Is Too Much?

Post by Allison-vega »

I am not in any way a purist when it comes to eating. I think it's all about finding the right balance. I find personally if I stick to mostly fruit and veg, I feel a little more clear minded, but also unsatisfied and anxious more frequently. If I eat not too many carbs and not enough fruit and veg over a sustained period of time, I feel drained, and foggy. Some days it just depends on how I am feeling. I might just crave only fruit for days, then want something heavier after a while. I honestly think there is no perfect system but trial and error and to just trust your own body.
brimstoneSalad
neither stone nor salad
Diet: Vegan

Re: How Much Fruit Is Too Much?

Post by brimstoneSalad »

ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:Due to my local market selling bruised fruit for discounted prices, I have been swimming in Apples, Bananas, Pears, and Oranges. I eat anywhere from 150-450 calories in fruit each day. Sometimes this leaves me at a good calorie count, sometimes I overeat due to feeling unsatiated..
Unfortunately, fruit isn't very satiating, protein is your friend for satiation. I can understand wanting to take good advantage of a bargain, though. I'd probably eat more fruit in that situation too, where it was really cheap, though personally I'd try to stick to 1-2 fruits a day once I got over the novelty of the super cheap fruit.

Have you checked with cronometer to make sure you're getting everything you need despite the high fruit intake?

Also, in terms of money, I'd make a fruit based and more legume/veggie/whole grain based diet budget. Even though the fruit may seem very reasonably priced, the sheer amount you're eating due to it being unsatiating may be costing you more.
ThatNerdyScienceGirl wrote:Many people eat a high-fruit diet and they are doing fine.
Usually because they do an inordinate amount of exercise to burn off the extra calories, and eat 3,000 - 5,000 calories a day to get enough nutrition. In terms of environmental sustainability, and even long-term health, that's not a good idea (although it could be fine in the short term).