Where in Europe are veggies welcome?

Vegan message board for support on vegan related issues and questions.
Topics include philosophy, activism, effective altruism, plant-based nutrition, and diet advice/discussion whether high carb, low carb (eco atkins/vegan keto) or anything in between.
Meat eater vs. Vegan debate welcome, but please keep it within debate topics.
Pumpkin
Diet: Vegetarian

Where in Europe are veggies welcome?

Post by Pumpkin »

During my travels across the European countries it's somethimes remarkable how many European countries differ in their vegetarian cuisine. Sometimes it is natural to choose a vegetarian menu in all restaurants and shops (UK) and sometimes it is practically impossible to eat vegetarian (France). The further south you go, the harder it is to eat vegetarian and I think this is because countries such as France and Spain are not determined animal friendly countries. In my own country (Belgium) it's not really hard to find vegetarian food, you will find even Vegan stew or even vegan tartare. The Netherlands is somewhat the same.
Vegans and vegetarian people from France are the people who make the most effort to stay away from meat. Their culture is meat that even the famous foie gras seems like it's made from nothing. I have no problem with the many alternatives in my country but other countries don't give a crap about any veggie's. You can try to convince people to stop eating meat, but sometimes it is just impossible without the alternatives. Also, Austria and Italy are no example countries. The difference with the UK and Germany are enormous. In the UK and Germany they have no reason to eat meat. The response from the cashier on the highway in France when I asked for a sandwich without meat was priceless, what is a vegetarian sandwich "she asked. Available throughout France...nowhere. Not even in the large warehouses.
How can people even become a veggie when there's nothing to help them from it?
knot
Master in Training

Re: Where in Europe are veggies welcome?

Post by knot »

Have you tried www.happycow.net/ ?
Jebus
Master of the Forum
Diet: Vegan

Post by Jebus »

I travel a lot to Paris and it is getting better and better every year although vegan food is expensive there. Berlin is the best and Norway is by far the worst.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
Allison-vega

Post by Allison-vega »

I thought Europe would have been more veggie tolerant considering.
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

Here in Italy traditional dishes are mostly based on meat or animal products. However, we eat a lot of grains and vegetables as weel so I haven't found it difficult to steer clear of meat. Moreover, vegan restaurants and fast foods are getting more and more popular in the north.
Pumpkin

Post by Pumpkin »

Italy has disappointed me during my last visit last year. Fruits and vegetables but not enough alternatives. With alternatives I mean fake meat cooked in savory dishes. In some countries this is a growing phenomenon ...
It doesn't amaze me that Scandinavia is not a good place for this type of business. These countries are not particularly animal friendly ... Vikings probably forever.
If vegetarianism would be introduced in places like this, it's probably just because of health for people, but not to reduce animal cruelty .
Countries that have mass slaughter of dolphins or kill lions families because of "too much. These are countries that don't have a shred of repect.
Jebus
Master of the Forum

Post by Jebus »

Pumpkin wrote:It doesn't amaze me that Scandinavia is not a good place for this type of business. These countries are not particularly animal friendly ... Vikings probably forever.
You shouldn't generalize when it comes to Scandinavia. Sweden is one of the leading lights in veganism and vegetarianism. Denmark is also a great place to be vegan. It's just too bad the Norwegians are so backwards.
How to become vegan in 4.5 hours:
1.Watch Forks over Knives (Health)
2.Watch Cowspiracy (Environment)
3. Watch Earthlings (Ethics)
Congratulations, unless you are a complete idiot you are now a vegan.
DarlBundren

Post by DarlBundren »

Pumpkin wrote:If vegetarianism would be introduced in places like this, it's probably just because of health for people, but not to reduce animal cruelty .
It would be introduced because of money. Food industry wants to earn money, they are not cruel on purpose. If they knew they could earn tons of money, they would switch to vegan products as soon as possible.

You're right about fake meat products in Italy though. We don't have a lot of them, especially if compared to the U.k. However, it's not a big deal for me, Most fake meat can be considered highly processed food and it is pretty bad from a nutricional standpoint.